Castrol Syntec 5w50 overkill for my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that I don't love my current fill of Motul 300V 5w40, it's just that I cringe at the price everytime because of my 10qt sump.

It's been at the back of my mind for a while to use something else. Was passing through Autozone yesterday and noticed they are selling a Castrol Syntec 5w50. My car sees plenty of track time and I do drive the car hard.

The reactions to this oil seem to be mixed. The VOAs look really solid, and it has a good VI of over 200. But some claim it shears to a 10w40, and others say this is untrue.

Would this be a good choice for my motor, or am I safer with something like Mobil 1 0w40, Red Line 5w40, etc?

Syntec 5w-50 is a group III oil, which means it must be using quite a bit of VIIs to achieve such high spread, and when VIIs break down, the oil loses viscosity and potentially leaves deposits. Personally, I would stick with the other oils you mentioned.

If you really feel you need thicker oil, you might want to look at M1 15w-50, but I'm pretty sure M1 0w-40 will suffice.

Well there is also Mobil 1 5w50. Not sure how different of a formulation that would be.

Where do you find M1 5w-50 in Chicagoland area? I've seen it in Europe, but never here. Supposedly it's a good oil, very popular in many other parts of the world.

if you're looking for it in Chicagoland you can try G&H Import Auto Parts (I think that's the Name of the place)in Oak Lawn it's around 99th & Cicero.

Hi,
M1 5W-50 is a very good product and as an example it is the only SAE50 lubricant (since MY99) that has Porsche Approval. It has been a best seller here in OZ for a decade or more. Most post MY84 Porsche engines use M1 0W-40

However, that said I would be very inclined to use a 0W-40 (or a 5W-40) lubricant in this application

Syntec 5W-50 is a very sensible lubricant for some applications and carries a good pedigree, it was Porsche Approved up until 1999

I would run the same weight oil you are running. Seems too cold,up there,for a 50-W.

My BOSCH shop uses it by the drum, inc S cars and P cars.

I'd consider M1 10w-40 HM. It's a thick 40 that should do the job very well.

There is always Rotella too.

Is this simply too thick for my motor? Bear in mind it is kept in a heated garage and is not a DD.

Hi,
Dan - Others on here will disagree of course but IME it always seems best to use the lowest Approved viscosity for the ambient range anticipated/encountered

Many times and especially with some Euro engines the lubrication system's by-pass is in operation far too long and too often when using higher viscosity lubricants than is really needed

Doug Hillary:"01 Porsche Boxster (Delvac 1 5W-40 CI-4/SL)"
I would do the same, use hdeo.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Dan - Others on here will disagree of course but IME it always seems best to use the lowest Approved viscosity for the ambient range anticipated/encountered

Many times and especially with some Euro engines the lubrication system's by-pass is in operation far too long and too often when using higher viscosity lubricants than is really needed

Great points Doug! Truth is I'd be willing to wager not many people really know when the lubrication system is in by-pass either. They just think they are doing their engines good because they think thicker is better. That isn't always the case.

Interestingly, both Mobil 1 5w50 and Castrol Syntec 5w50 have the same KV @ 100C of 17.4. That makes them very light 50-weights. (as opposed to Syntec 20w50 that is 19.7 and more in the middle)

The oil in the sump right now has a KV @ 100C of 13.32, making it a light 40.

Mobil 1 5w50 does carry VW 505.00, which surprises me. That would actually mean it's okay to run in my car (needs 502/505).

M1 0-40 is a really well built oil.
This is my first choice.
Remember that thinner oils cool better. They run about 10 deg less. You may also get better race results from less drag and more oomph!

You've ruled out the M1 10w-40 HM?

Wait, I see your climate is cold.

M1 5w-30 HM HT/HS is 3.4cP

Maybe you could get away with the 10w-30 HM, higher HT/HS, 3.68cP,iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back