Castrol Syntec 5w40, 3338mi., VW Passat 1.8L Turb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is my latest UOA on my 2001 Passat 1.8L Turbo. Please note the following:

1) There are 4 samples on the report. The mileage on all 4 is about the same (3332 to 3560 mi.). The two oldest (right most) were with M1 0w40. The two newest (12/28 and 08/19 date) were with Syntec 5w40.

2) The only really HOT sample (after a long run) was the 12/15/07 sample on M1. The other 3 samples were taken cold. This IMO explains the viscosity, flashpoint, and fuel numbers being off in the cold samples.

3) Blackstone seems happy with the current report. I was slightly disappointed in the Silicon and Iron, but only slightly so. Iron went from 10 to 13, Silicon from 5 to 11 (new air filter installed before the "5"). I was hoping that the Syntec was going to dramatically lower the iron count (like on 8/19/08), but 13 is about average and not alarming.

4) My conclusion after 2 UOA's on both Syntec and M1? No statistically significant difference that I can discern. I can discern that a HOT sample is way more preferable than a COLD one apparently.

Enough of my rambling. I appreciate you taking the time to review and comment.

01Passat122808.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty boring, overall. I guess this highlights the importance of getting your oil warm before sampling, however. It's interesting to look at the viscosity readings across the samples -- only the warmed-up sample produced a reading over 12.

Silicon does seem a little high for the mileage. Been taking the car to the beach a lot?

Originally Posted By: hillclimber
Pretty boring, overall. I guess this highlights the importance of getting your oil warm before sampling, however. It's interesting to look at the viscosity readings across the samples -- only the warmed-up sample produced a reading over 12.

Silicon does seem a little high for the mileage. Been taking the car to the beach a lot?

Ah, you noticed where I live. However, in this entire OCI interval the car was in Indiana, where my daughter goes to college. So 1900 miles of the 3300 on the current sample were up and down the Interstate from FL to IN. The remaining 1400 was city driving around Indianapolis. But, that is a significant change in climate and possibly driving styles (my daughter probably drives the Passat differently than my wife).

I normally prefer to get the oil hot before sampling. However the 1st Syntec sample had to be done cold (don't ask), so I wanted the current one also to be cold for a fairer comparison. Also, when taking the sample HOT, I have to be extra careful with this engine. The 1.8L Turbo is the hottest engine I've ever been around, and it's easy to get burned. For example, after taking the HOT oil sample I usually wait 30 mins to an hour before even thinking about taking off the oil filter.

The iron does seem high as compared to other metals . Does the cars see short trips? IMO in general oil is oil .

Originally Posted By: Steve S
The iron does seem high as compared to other metals . Does the cars see short trips? IMO in general oil is oil .

Iron is about average for a 1.8T. It is a little under what I had with the two M1 runs. The car does see a significant amount of short trips around Indy, BUT the majority of miles were on the highway (at least 65 percent).

Originally Posted By: UncleRunkle
Was this 5w40 the "Belgian Castrol" variety?

Not sure what Belgian is. Am familiar with German Castrol. What I used was purchased from Advanced Auto.

BTW, now that I think of it, the Syntec run (completed last Aug) was with VW dealer supplied Castrol Syntec 5w40. Not sure if that is the exact same brew you buy at Advanced Auto - hum.

Originally Posted By: blmqzjc
Originally Posted By: UncleRunkle
Was this 5w40 the "Belgian Castrol" variety?

Not sure what Belgian is. ...

Syntec 5w40 used to be made in Belgium.

Looks like a tie between the two oils. I think you'd have to run much longer OCIs and get TBN and even better, TAN, measurements to show which one holds up better.

These oils are certainly not equivalent when pushed hard enough. The base oils and additives are significantly different.

As I tend to ask all 1.8T owners on here, how clean does it look through the oil fill cap?

Originally Posted By: JAG
Looks like a tie between the two oils. I think you'd have to run much longer OCIs and get TBN and even better, TAN, measurements to show which one holds up better.

These oils are certainly not equivalent when pushed hard enough. The base oils and additives are significantly different.

As I tend to ask all 1.8T owners on here, how clean does it look through the oil fill cap?

There is visible varnish through the oil fill cap. The car was serviced by the dealer until 2004, which means it got bulk dino oil. After the sludge letter came out in 2004, I started maintaining it myself with synthetic (either Syntec or M1). I also ran an auto rx treatment and followed that with regular use of LC20, until my daughter took the Passat to school in August 2008. LC20 helped a little with the varnish, but not a great deal.

I change the oil every 6 months, or sometimes sooner now that I am dependent on when the kid brings the Passat home. Most OCI's are in the 3.5k range, as you can see. Even earlier in its life, OCI never went over 5k miles. It is amusing, when looking back over the 8+ year life and maintenance of the vehicle, that the early dino OCI's were typically 4 to 5k miles, and the later synthetic OCI's were typically 3 to 3.5k miles. Should ideally be the other way around :), but driving habits changed a lot over the Passat's life.

Thanks. Varnish is what I expected you'd see. It's a good thing that you are keeping the OCIs short, even with the synthetic oils you are using. Keep the PCV system in mind since they tend to get clogged up easily. Also, in the longitudinal 1.8T engines, I hear there is an oil line above the exhaust manifold that gets very hot which cooks the oil...raising the possibility of it clogging which would be very bad.

While these look similar I think one thing that doesn't show up is engine cleaning ability. Mobil 1 seems to be very good at that.

Would be curious what Redline would do in that Turbo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
While these look similar I think one thing that doesn't show up is engine cleaning ability. Mobil 1 seems to be very good at that.

Would be curious what Redline would do in that Turbo.

I'm still under 10/100 powertrain warranty, so Redline is not an option right now. Must use a VW 502.00 spec'd oil, like Syntec, M1, Synpower, etc. in the proper weight. My 8 year sludge warranty just ended in December (fingers crossed), but think I'll wait out the 100K for the PWT (just in case something weird happens).

I've always heard M1 was a superb cleaner, and I probably used it at least 4 or 5 OCI's (only UOA'd 2 of those). I'm just not sure on how to measure cleaning ability easily.

Originally Posted By: blmqzjc
Originally Posted By: JAG
Thanks. Varnish is what I expected you'd see. It's a good thing that you are keeping the OCIs short, even with the synthetic oils you are using. Keep the PCV system in mind since they tend to get clogged up easily. Also, in the longitudinal 1.8T engines, I hear there is an oil line above the exhaust manifold that gets very hot which cooks the oil...raising the possibility of it clogging which would be very bad.

Appreciate the comments. Varnish is mostly cosmetic from what I've learned, as opposed to sludge, and worse coking oil, which is downright deadly. I also had the VCG and cam seals replaced under PWT, and also that little Y shaped suction jet thingy that routinely [censored] out.

Not sure which oil line above the exhaust manifold you are talking about (but will look the next time the car is in town).

I should point out that in its 8+ year life the car has never been driven hard. You can probably count on both hands the times it has been over 4K rpm. When the wife had it, she drove it like a grandma. Now that the daughter has, I think she drives it easy since she is paying for the gas, which until a few weeks ago was pretty pricey. I also explained the process of turbo cool down to her, after a long interstate run for example.

I thought VW's called for 10K OCI's. You have the Turbo, so maybe not, but I am amazed that you are paying so much for oil and only going 3,300 miles.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
I thought VW's called for 10K OCI's. You have the Turbo, so maybe not, but I am amazed that you are paying so much for oil and only going 3,300 miles.

Mine calls for 5K/6mo. OCI's. So I change it every 6 months, even if I only drove it 1k miles, to keep the warranty intact. It just so happens that 6 months usually equates to 3-4k miles for me (actually my daughter who now has the car at school).

Doesn't really cost that much. I can generally buy the oil and filter for less than $30, and I change it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back