Castrol Syntec 5w-50, my mechanic says...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One night as Jimmy got ready to go to sleep, as his daddy tucked him in, he said, "Daddy, I can't figure something out." Imagining that Jimmy was pondering some deep truth about the universe, he asked very tentatively, "Um-m-m, what is it you can't figure out?" "How come people are always arguing about motor oil, whether 15W50 Mobil 1 is better or whether 5W50 Castrol is better...I just don't get it." "Jimmy, you really hear people arguing about that all the time?" "Uh-huh, daddy, all the time." "Well said his daddy, people are allowed to have differing opinions about things." "Well, maybe so," said Jimmy, "but I'll tell you what...I'll never argue about it because I like our motor oil pretty fine. I like it because it is green and it smells like gummi bears and it only comes in 0W30." "You know," said his daddy, "I like it because of that stuff too!"

lol

Can anyone find the HT/HS values for these 2 oils, that might be insightfull. Why is it so hard for people to believe another otc oil could actually be better than Mobil 1 in the ONE extreme application I am refering to? Come on guys, am I saying "pour one drop of Mobil 1 into a perfectly running engine and it will instantly explode, killing all witness"? No, I said under these super-high load conditions, the Syntec's film kept the parts from seizeing, when Mobil's did not. Why is this so unbelieveable, for one to have better Extreme Protection?
dunno.gif

TSOA, I can do a run with 5W50 Syntech in the wifes car this summer. I have 10W30 Castrol Syntec Blend in it right now! I might use my Dads Tacoma instead. It gets driven more so we could see a decent amount of miles on it. THe only problems are the wifes car sits more then anything and my Dads Tacoma has a bypass filter system. Either weigh I can definately take the challenge. It will take too summers to get the results as it is cold half the year in Michagan to run 50Wt. I wont put it in anything I actualy car about though!!!! So when do you plan on doing a run with M1 15W50???? I will scan my sheets from Blackstone so all can see that their is no tampering!!

I am currently testing Redline and Delvac-1 in my Camry. So the next 3 OCI's are already spoken for in that vechile! After the Redline and Delvac-1 it is back to my standby with a one modification. I will return to M1 15W50 in the warm months and then M1 R 0W30 in the winter. Seeing how various members of my family have been useing M1 15W50since the late 80's early 90's and all of these vechiles are still on the road and use no oil and have never been touched . I find the previous statements about M1 15W50 blowing engines as funny and reckless as someone saying the earth is flat and you will fall off it if you go too far!! I have also used 15W50 on a Yamaha Vmax that say both boost and NO2 (not at the same time) and was used on the Autobahn as my "poor mans Porsche".

P.S. I might pick up some Syntec today!!!

[ February 07, 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

TSOA, I wanted you to know that the BUick now has 4.5 quarts of Castrol Syntec 5W50. We will see how it does. I drained out 4.5 quarts of Syntec blend 10W30 with about 200 miles on it just to start this test! When I get the UOA done I will scanit in and send it to a third party to be posted here! This way their is no way I can fudge any numbers!

pscholte, What got my feathers worked up was the constant an unrelenting "My Mechanic Says" baloney(sp) about M1 15W50 directly causeing engines to blow. Truth be told I could care less if someone wants to think that an over priced group three oil is supior to a PAO synthetic!

It angers me to no end that a mechanic would tell his client that an oil caused the engines to blow! That is recless and iresponable! I am hopeing to prove or disprove 5W50 propensity to shear. I have but it in an engine that is easy on oil! It is the wifes grocery getter. It is seldom driven and always driven gently! It is a roller cam buick 3.8! IF it shears it will not be because of exotic gear driven cams, oil driven injectors, high knose pressure, flat tappets, high RPM etc................. The engine was flushed after some mechanical work with syntec blend 10W30 for 200 miles before adding the Castrol Syntec 5W50!

No offense TSoA, but how many Porsche engines have YOU built? You don't get much credit by saying "my mechanic this, my mechanic that". J Browning IS a mechanic, so arguing about engine related failures and such with him, when your only reference is "your mechanic" is truely akin to a kindergardener ranting "my daddy is better than your daddy".
wink.gif

quote:

arguing about engine related failures

We were talking about Porsche engine failures on Syntec verses Mobil 1. On this, I would tend to think "one of my best friends" who ~happens~ to be a lifetime Porsche mechanic and USES Syntec by the drum and rebuilds several of these engines a season would have more experience than most Forum members in this area. *I* am simply passing along his expert opinion, some members appreciate this, some don't.
dunno.gif
The guy was recognised as an expert in Court during a customer's fuel-gelling case, how many people here have testified aginst Mobil oil and won?
dunno.gif
I would be perfectly happy to report tht Mobil worked better, but I can't. I am, however, embracing Mobil 1 SUV.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
I am, however, embracing Mobil 1 SUV.
tongue.gif

TSoA, TSoA, TSoA,

How many times must we tell you...there will be no public displays of affection on this board....embracing, indeed!
wink.gif

John, for the hundreth time: the oil did not cause the engine to blow, it was the fact it was driven into the "red-zone" and one oil protects better under those conditons.
quote:

constant an unrelenting "My Mechanic Says" baloney(sp) about M1 15W50

John, how many Porsche engines have you rebuilt? What makes YOU and expert? Someone sitting at home in front of a computer criticising my mechanic, who is super-well-respected in his field, driving a Buick and claiming to be an expert on oils and Porsches and racing is really...a JOKE. I don't want to be offensive, but your blathering rant is far more annoying and useless than the REAL information that I passed to, if I remember, a forum member who is driving the exact car that my mechanic has experience with. If you are making it into a GIII verses a GIV issue, fine. No need to drag others into your study. It's a shame that some guys don't have a mechanic that they can trust, maybe trust is not in their nature.

my mechanic says 10/30 is always better than 5/30.(his bulk supply is 10/30) when I asked him about all the cars that got towed into his shop when they wouldn't crank over in the recent cold snap (they were his $20 bulk oil &filter customers) he didn't have an answer.

the thing is, with the stuff he does know about, he actually is a decent mechanic.

TSOA, I am sure your friend has rebuilt more Porsche engines then have. While I have rebuilt upwards of three engines a day or two transmissions a day on averages for years in additon to other dutys Porsche is not an area I would call myself an expert! If someone exceeds an engines mechanical design limitations no oil in the world can make up for this! The fact that I am ASE MASTER Tech. makes me an expert on mechanical issues not tribological issues. Seeing how my aprenticeship was performed in Germany I have more then a passing familuarity with Porsches and the Autobahn!

I have even been involved with some amature raceing as a young man.

If you are going to make a braod sweeping statement like " My mechaic (should be Technician) says M1 15W50 blows engines!" You should be prepared for some debate!

I have to wounder if Exxon Mobile and Castrol advise that their API aproved oils be used for raceing or if they recomend a race specific product?

You would think that AMG's, Corvettes, Camaros, and all of the other cars that have high power densitys and are run at the limit frequently would have problems under warranty. The abvove vechiles come from the factory with M1.

I will say that I have read Porsches aproved oil list and they make no distinction between G III, IV and V oil base stocks!

It's a ridiculous accusation with no merit. I laugh at things like this. This is where the Internet is bad. TSOA, I don't care what this mechanic said. Do you realize how many mechanics, he said she said, I know this guy that said, who worked for Mobil, who said this and that there are out there? PLEASE....

Tell that mechanic that M1 is now factory fill in ALL Porches and Mercedes Benz vehicles. I guess those cars will explode too.
rolleyes.gif

[ February 10, 2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
It's a ridiculous accusation with no merit. I laugh at things like this. This is where the internet is bad.
rolleyes.gif
TSOA, I don't care what this mechanic said. Do you realize how many mechanics, he said she said, I know this guy that said, who worked for Mobil, who said this and that their are out there? PLEASE....

BTW, tell that mechanic that M1 is now factory fill in ALL Porche and Mecedez Benz vehicles. I guess those cars will explode too.
rolleyes.gif

Agreed, would you trust a company that puts down a particular person from a car magazine(i think it was motor trend or car and driver) about how he discussed that castrol was being a traitor by advertising their now group 3 oil as synthetic oil. Honestly, I dont trust a company that tries to rip ppl off to save a buck. Ill take m1 anyday over castrol, although i might try redline gear lubes down the road

TSoA,

I know of several mechanics that are ASE master certified in all areas, have worked on cars all their lives (and in racing too!), and truely know just about nothing about engine oils.

They swear by certain oils, saying that one protects much better than the other, the only reason the engine is still running is because of this oil, that no other oil is better. Heck, I even know of one master tech. that knows EVERYTHING about cars and trucks, and he said that me running 15w-40 in a gas engine was just bad for it.

They offer no facts or proof, just sayin' what they think. And saying that an engine blows up on 15w-50 M1 when pushed hard is pure fallacy.

If this man is so knowledgeable, why does the 5w-50 protect so much better than the M1? Let me guess...because it says Castrol on the bottle?

If you respect your mechanic TSoA, then fine...it's great you have someone you can trust.

You knew when you posted this topic that you'd be met with fierce resistance and speculation to your claims...dare I say you wanted to start an argument.

I'm not trying to tick you off TSoA, but you've provided absolutely no fact, and your line of reasoning makes absolutely no sense as we know of many engine that are pushed very, very hard that do not just come apart with M1 15w-50.

Sorry TSoA, the burden of proof is on you, and no one should believe you when you just continue to speak second-person to us simply relying upon what someone said.

For instance, I was just reading Four Wheeler magazine, and they were saying they wanted to give their truck the best protection.

They used Royal Purple and a Fram Toughguard filter.

Does that mean they are the best bets?

Remeber the old sayin": "They said are the biggest liars in the world..."

[ February 10, 2004, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I love it when a discussion becomes so emotionally loaded that diction and spelling abscond.
tongue.gif

Sorry moribundman, there will be no public displays of absconding on this board either!

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:

quote:

ASE master certified

lol
thumbsdown.gif

Yeah, and this comment is just like your previous comments on this thread.

I haven't looked at your previous 400 posts, but are you just here to start arguments??

Have you even bothered to look at the ASE tests?
Have you passed any yourself?

Oh, let me guess...the tests are so much of a joke that they are not worth your time??

Plainly spoken: If you are ASE master certfied, you know a "thing or two" about cars.

None of the tests prove you know anything about engine oils though...

This is just to good of a reading for me to interupt, but I have a question. I think TSoA is from the UK, is that correct? If so, the Castrol Syntec 5W50 he uses is not the same as the Syntec 5W50 in the U.S.A. The Syntec in the UK is a PAO/ESTER based product. Not saying it's better than Mobil 1 15W50, just better than the stuff sold here. Now please continue this conversation, with compasion if possible.
cheers.gif

[ February 10, 2004, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Johnny ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back