Castrol- Possible Ilegal advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking around on the CASTROL website when I saw an article in their Legends in Motion Hall of Fame. Irv Gordon was in the article with his Volvo P1800 with over 2 million miles on it. Castrol did not come right out and say it but, I think Castrol is trying to imply that the 2 million miles was due to Castrol motor oil being used in the Volvo. I know for a fact that the 2 million miles was attained on the Volvo by MOBIL motor oil. When Irv Gordon was asked what motor oil he ran in the Volvo Irv replied MOBIL motor oil. If Mobil's legal department gets ahold of this info I think Castrol is going to be in court very shortly.

How about a link or a better description how to find that article? I can't find their Hall of Fame.

Just go to Castrol's search and type in Legends in Motion Hall of Fame. This will bring up the article in question. I just think it is a round about way to claim credit when Castrol had nothing to do with it. Mobil gets the credit here.

Yeah, Castrol has their tentacles in every country on Earth and possibly beyond. They drive me nuts with their multitude of sites. I hope you'll come across it again.

Agrreed, Castrol's web site has to be one of the worst, that coupled with all the different names for all the different oils they claim to sell, and the fact that they can't seem to use the same name for the same oil in any two countries almost. There are oils in Canada that have a different name than the US for the same stuff! For crying out loud how BS is that? The USA website is the worst, if you want any real info go to the Canada website. For my vehicle the oil chooser flat doesn't work, no data. They seem to be purposely trying to confuse the consumer with the naming/shell game they play on thier products, like the way they seem to want to hide the really good products so they can sell the mediocor product at the same high price .
Overall they (the marketing ) really sucks. I think they have the rest of the world captured in the preferred oil thinking, so they now pass off any dreck under the name at hyper-inflated prices and most of the customers won't notice, while some factions in the company quietly maintain some superior lines of product that helps maintain the reputation.

Castrol USA-Two Million Miles in a Volvo P1800
rolleyes.gif

castrol is the official volvo oil, I believe I read somewhere...

So I guess he used delvac 1300s in his volvo???

All the same, castrol does make some good products. Too bad their marketing is untrustworthy and stinks.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Taggs:
Castrol did not come right out and say it but, I think Castrol is trying to imply that the 2 million miles was due to Castrol motor oil being used in the Volvo.

It's written very crafty to avoid a direct correlation ... I'd expect at least a threat of a lawsuit though as the intent to deceive is there.

Hmm, looking at that Castrol article, I don't see any implication that Castrol oil was used. Too me it really looks more like a Volvo ad. Maybe I'm just too cynical to begin with?
wink.gif

Would Castrol do anything wrong? What incentive would a large multi-national corporation have to do wrong? I think all of you are accusing them when they just hvae your best interests at heart.

DAn

quote:

I think all of you are accusing them

I'm not accusing them. It's a generic article without ANY reference to motor oil. You guys are accusing Castrol of something that is based on fantasy.

All I'm saying is how come a picture of Irv Gordon and his Volvo are on a Castrol site? Castrol had nothing to do with the Volvo's engine lasting two million miles. The two million miles was accomplished in part to using Mobil engine oil. Maybe Irv got paid to be featured on Castrol's site? Heck, I would for enough money. It just does not make sense to me to have this on Castrol's site. It gives the story and picture but, without implying that Castrol motor oil accomplished this? You have a Volvo with two million miles on it on a Castrol site, Why?

To give the impression that Castrol motor oil did this. That is the answer! Very deceptive advertising.

quote:

Castrol had nothing to do with the Volvo's engine lasting two million miles.

And neither do they claim to have anything do with it.

quote:

You have a Volvo with two million miles on it on a Castrol site, Why?

It's an extraordinary example of how long an engine can run. The Volvo spokesperson stresses the importance of maintenance.

quote:

To give the impression that Castrol motor oil did this. That is the answer! Very deceptive advertising.

That may well be your perception, but it sure isn't mine. I don't see any attempt at deception. If anybody were to be deceived by what's not there, well then... no-one can help them anyway.
tongue.gif

[ June 23, 2005, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

I'm with mori on this one. I really don't think that it is that big of a deal.

"It's an extraordinary example of how long an engine can run. The Volvo spokesperson stresses the importance of maintenance."

Exactly...and as long as we are talking about maintaining your car...look at our products!

I think mori is right. I do think though it's very close to being deceptive.

Got an email from Exxon Mobil. They thanked me and said that they are refering it to their marketing people to look into. Guess there must be something suspect to the whole thing.

it makes me assume that castrol oil was behind it.If i was in a picture with alot of 6 year old girls, and my name was Chester Molester,what would you think? would'nt you assume i WAS a molestOr,even though there was no mention of me being a pedophile?

"The big story tonight on Action News, Bobistheoilguy member Rob Taggs, sends two giant heavyweights into battle."

When asked about the situation, Rob responded: "I can't say for sure, but I recommend a Oil Analysis with the Dyson Package to confirm if it truly is Mobil oil."

Other BITOG members weighed in as well: Tooslick :" No way Mobil oil can take a car to 2 million miles. The valvetrain wear and poor anti-wear package couldn't have given him those results."

Dyson: "Don't worry about the brand, add some LC and it's possible. Or use Redline it's great."

Buster: "Redline sux what do you mean? I use Mobil 1 bc nothing outperforms it but I like Amsoil also."

Doug: "Ted, Mobil was used in the Millenium falcon!! Here in OZ it's highly regarded!!!"

JohnBrowning :"It went 2 million miles bc it's a 100w-150 wt oil!!!!!"

grin.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back