Castrol Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies. I was also thinking to maybe alternate between Super Tech and a brand name like Magnatec or Penzoil Platinum. I agree that this engine doesn't need a $30 case of oil.

Originally Posted by dosmom
Thanks for all the replies. I was also thinking to maybe alternate between Super Tech and a brand name like Magnatec or Penzoil Platinum. I agree that this engine doesn't need a $30 case of oil.

Yes but on the other hand I'm at that point in life that if I want to try something and it's not going to keep me from paying the bills I'm going to do it. I've been itching to try some Shaffer's 7000.

If you don't have ab affinity towards a particular brand, I'd suggest you look at ST 0w20 FS HiMi at just $14.37 for the 5qt jug. It's very capable of a 6k mile oci. It also comes in a non HiMi flavor as well for the same price. If you wanted a brand oil, the Havoline 0w20 6qt box is a great value. Both of them can be shipped right to your front door.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChrisD46
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I just picked up a couple of Jugs of Valvoline Modern Engine for $15 apiece at AZ.

+1 for Valvoline Advanced Synthetic

Magnatec is a decent "regular" oil and I use it time to time.

But the Valvoline advanced engine will get you better fuel mileage and more torque and power

I'm my "professional" seat of the pants and DIC data gathering experience
smile.gif

*I believe it was Valvoline Modern Synthetic Oil that was referenced - not Valvoline Advanced Synthetic oil ... However I happen to think Valvoline Advanced Synthetic in 5W30 is a very good oil - I just never see it on roll back at WM where I shop for oil , so I tend to buy other brands .

Yeah I knew that. I was trying to sneak it by
smile.gif

My corolla have 55k miles. Should I wait to use the high mileage oil? Not sure if my walmart has non high mileage 0w 20

I am trying to determine what 0w 20 oil to use in my 2013 Corolla. Would you recommend Castrol GTX Magnatec? I can get it for $20 or should I go with Super Tech or something else? Plan on changing 6k miles and keeping the car as long as possible. Currently has 60k miles

It's a Corolla. You can run anything with more lubricity than sand in the crankcase and it will still go 250k.

Don't worry about it. Magnatec is perfectly suitable oil, as is Supertech. It will be fine, just change it on schedule and buy what's on sale.

My corolla have 55k miles. Should I wait to use the high mileage oil? Not sure if my walmart has non high mileage 0w 20

Its not going to hurt your Corolla a bit. I use HM off and on in mine all the time. It only depends if it on a good sale. My last OCI almost 500 miles ago I put in Pennzoil 5W-20 HM. Why because it was $14 and change a jug and I got the $10 rebate per Jug. Some people just worry about nothing.

*The debate between Castrol Magnatec vs. EDGE still exists - which is the better oil for a 5K mile OCI ??

GTX Magnatec 5W30 and 10W30 (both full synthetic) have low Noack. iirc, 8.9 and 6.9
That's pretty low for the price.
Not sure about 0W20 Noack since I don't buy any x20.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
GTX Magnatec 5W30 and 10W30 (both full synthetic) have low Noack. iirc, 8.9 and 6.9
That's pretty low for the price.
Not sure about 0W20 Noack since I don't buy any x20.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*The debate between Castrol Magnatec vs. EDGE still exists - which is the better oil for a 5K mile OCI ??

For 5k miles the value is with Magnatec. EDGE is everything Magnatec has and more.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by SlavaB
Go with Magnatec, it's an amazing oil

[Linked Image]

...‚...‚...‚..i remember that!

For a 5W30 Valvoline advanced FTW
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Im Dumping VW Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W20 508.00 for Motul Specific 508 because the
Castrol** way under-perfomed the FF. I will report about the MOTUL after it has been in the sump a while.

** Dealer states it was Castrol Edge 0W20 metered and charged by deci-litres on the R.O. - that still TBD by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back