Castrol Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to determine what 0w 20 oil to use in my 2013 Corolla. Would you recommend Castrol GTX Magnatec? I can get it for $20 or should I go with Super Tech or something else? Plan on changing 6k miles and keeping the car as long as possible. Currently has 60k miles

Both are good..but what's more important to you...brand or price? There's no "wrong" answer..it just helps you decide which route to go.

Magnatec is good as are any of the big name brands. I was even pleasantly surprised at Supertech.

Either will work splendidly for your planned interval. Just a matter of choice, mood, how much you want to spend.

If you can find it Autozone has a clearance on Rotella gas truck oil. No problems as it is noting special for gas trucks its just a good synthetic oil.
Price if you can find it is $15 for a 5 qt jug minus a $10 rebate. (screaming deal)

Other price I saw is individual quarts for $4 each with a $2/qt rebate. (up to $40 total rebate max) Still a very good deal at $10 for 5qts. They have 0W20 and 5W30.

Mine was cleared out so you might need to shop around.

I use it with no issues. Has all the relevant certs in the 0w20 flavor (API SN PLUS/ SN, ILSAC GF-5, GM dexos1 Gen 2). An excellent oil at its price point.

Im running it in my 07 Corolla right now, no issues. These engines are super easy on oil and worked great with any oil I've given, hard to tell a difference. 6k miles is nothing. It will give you many years with minimal maintenance.

Only oil (been driving and changing oil for decades) I have seen oxidized in 3k miles, and non DI engine.
I doubt it's even GIII = probably still a semi like it was … remember who was instrumental in what we call synthetic

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I just picked up a couple of Jugs of Valvoline Modern Engine for $15 apiece at AZ.

+1 for Valvoline Advanced Synthetic

Magnatec is a decent "regular" oil and I use it time to time.

But the Valvoline advanced engine will get you better fuel mileage and more torque and power

I'm my "professional" seat of the pants and DIC data gathering experience
smile.gif

If you're going to use MAGNATEC keep all loose tools away from the magnetic current field around the engine.
crackmeup2.gif

If it were mine I would use the Havoline PRO DS 6 qt. box.

Why don't you use Magnatec this time and then ST next time and then some Valvoline and then maybe some.... well you see where this is going. Take notes on whether one uses more or less oil than the others, maybe one might make you engine run quieter and smoother.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I just picked up a couple of Jugs of Valvoline Modern Engine for $15 apiece at AZ.

+1 for Valvoline Advanced Synthetic

Magnatec is a decent "regular" oil and I use it time to time.

But the Valvoline advanced engine will get you better fuel mileage and more torque and power

I'm my "professional" seat of the pants and DIC data gathering experience
smile.gif

*I believe it was Valvoline Modern Synthetic Oil that was referenced - not Valvoline Advanced Synthetic oil ... However I happen to think Valvoline Advanced Synthetic in 5W30 is a very good oil - I just never see it on roll back at WM where I shop for oil , so I tend to buy other brands .

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Go with Magnatec, it's an amazing oil

*What makes Magnatec an amazing oil in your opinion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back