Castrol GTX Start Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another dumb Oil company marketing plan....
bop.gif

bill
patriot.gif

Downunder, the magnatec range (your start-up) has been a huge success.

There's a 10W-40 dino, 5W-40 GrIII, and 10W-30 synthetic.

From what I understand, it's got some Group V ester added to it to polarise the oil; this makes it stick to engine parts better.
dunno.gif

I still see some at an Advance Auto Parts near my house, I didn't bother asking the price.

When this oil first come out, I had a feeling customers wouldn't buy into the whole 'StartUp' protection marketing.

There's something to the oil.

I attended a dinner one night with an additive company, and there was a chemical engineer who had formerly worked for Castrol, during the period that they were developing the magnatec range for Australia.

Although working for a different company, he was quite positive about the "UMA" esters in Magnatec, and their ability to cling, even after an oil change.

He described their testing as
- run engine with flushing oil.
- run engine with "baseline oil" (M1 15W-50)
- run engine with test oil.
- run engine with baseline oil

So the oil to be tested was compared both before and after with a baseline oil, and Castrol were using M1 as their benchmark.

He stated that they were surprised when the flushing oil worked better after the magnatec test than before it, and the Mobil 1 performed better after using magnatec than before it.

Given the position that he held in the company who took us to dinner, he had nothing to gain by extolling magnatec.

Ive used it and it really impressed me. I tried it on several vehicles, if they still sold it, I believe I would use it as my regular oil. It seemed to sound smoother and quieter.

I was so confused I wrote Castrol and they told me

Top to bottom from best to regular

Synteq
Synteq Blend
GTX Start-up
GTX

So then I asked why on God Green Earth is Synteq Blend and GTX Start-up the same price if you tell me the Blend is the superior product with all the benefits of Start-up??

Got this stores can set their own price blah blah blah..... Weird.

Start-up failed because they could not price effectively and explain it to the masses.

I used it and had a pretty nice UOA with it about a year ago. I got it on clearance, and if I see it for a good price I will use it again. I used it through the winter, and thought it acted a lot like synthetic on really cold mornings.

Quote:

Due to customer feedback they are working on a cruising formula, high rpm formula, high altitude formula, stop and start formula...

Castrol GTX Ricer

Protection from the moment you turn on your purple neon lights...

Quote:

Due to customer feedback they are working on a cruising formula, high rpm formula, high altitude formula, stop and start formula...

What, no drifting formula?
grin.gif

Maybe because it might be confused with Formula D which has the Castrol Cup, or maybe due to trademark problems.
dunno.gif

Quote:

Downunder, the magnatec range (your start-up) has been a huge success.

There's a 10W-40 dino, 5W-40 GrIII, and 10W-30 synthetic.

Where have you found Magnatec 5W-40 and 10W-30 Shannow ? I know they exist (Castrol Oz website), but I haven't seen them anywhere
wink.gif

Losiho,

R&K Gas Supplies (Lithgow) are where I bought the 5W-40 in 20 litre drums.

Bathurst Nissan had the sometingW-30

Hi Guys.
Castrol GTX 10w-40 group2+Ester.
Castrol magnatec/Professional 5w-40 group3+ester.
Castrol FMX/Professional 10w-30 GRoup2+Ester.
cheers.gif

A couple people have mentioned that Castrol Startup quiets piston slap, so if you have a slapper give this oil a try if you can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back