Castrol Edge Synthetic 5W20, 2000 miles, 2020 Ford Ecosport 2.0 D.I

that QS is 10.76 not bad compared to 5w20,
the pennzoil euro L I mentioned is 12.5

Blackstone underreports fuel.. you need to get a UOA from someone who actually tests it directly not indirectly via flashpoint.
I think you likely were closer to 5%

I waited and went out of my way to buy a normally aspirated Infiniti with the VQ37 engine so I wouldn't have these DI turbo problems. My question cause I don't think anybody's asked or offered up if these Blackstone reports are for Uber or Lyft driven cars .

I know when I was looking for this one there so many with worn down backseats I just turned away cause I knew they were Uber driven.

The car is 15 months old in constant service.

And you only have 6300 miles on it. Sounds like a lot of short tripping going on. In addition this last run was during the winter. So the fuel dilution should be expected.

Your report looks very good despite all that. Now that the weather is improving take that Ford out for some good drives.

Interesting observation. What am I assuming?
You stated, "You're assuming wear is linear, which is (sic) likely won't be. So you can't just extrapolate it out."
I stated that you made an assumption given your use of the adj. likely

I too have read parts of a study which showed that unused motor oil exhibited more wear initially than the same used oil over time in service.
I do not recall it to be substantially more wear. Some here have called the study flawed, worthless. That was not me.
Maybe we could revisit that.

You comment to me that "the science doesn't matter" is somewhat harsh.

An owner in distress needs to fret a bit and next the forum can calm my ruffled plumage - or pluck me and cook me for dinner

Very Helpful.

I am running 10W30 as a bandaid. Runs O.K. under 3000 rpm.

Given the engine noise - where there was none of concern before,
fuel diluted 7cSt and concomitant low HTHS are inadequate in the particular example.
What kind've one noise are you experiencing?

I don’t like the viscosity or the look of the used oil. I think the move to 10W-30 was a good one - will we have a follow-up UOA on it to compare?

Don't sample the next sump. Wait until you are at at least 10,000 miles (I'd go 20K, but I suspect you can't wait that long, lol), and then send it to OAI/Polaris to get a real fuel figure. That'll give you a better idea of how much fuel you are really dealing with.

Don't sample the next sump. Wait until you are at at least 10,000 miles (I'd go 20K, but I suspect you can't wait that long, lol), and then send it to OAI/Polaris to get a real fuel figure. That'll give you a better idea of how much fuel you are really dealing with.
I may not live that long!
Agree on using Polaris over B-S.
If the engine runs reasonably quite (as new) to 3-4K miles and the fuel mileage is reasonable I will not run another UOA.
I was hoping that I could get FORD to address this but I am certain they would treat it as characteristic and I don't imagine
a class action anytime soon as this is a niche engine in a niche imported India made ( Ford contracted Mahindra & Mahindra)
Subcompact CUV. The engine and trans are USA Sourced (Cleveland Ohio and ___ )
Again I ran this UOA just to show Ford service manager what the engine was doing to the oil and my concern with the terrible engine noise and loss of performance that went along with it. This is a 12:1 comp ratio engine.

Good lord I didn't realize how bad that read haha! I was eating dinner and typing at the same time:D

What kind've noises are you experiencing?
^^Fixed!
That's O.K. I read between the lines, something years of marriage taught me :)

Loud knock/ clatter when revved along with engine roll. Then timing chain grinding noises at Idle.
Motor was dead silent for the first 2000 miles of its life.
The Wife's new subaru does the same thing, but that was only quiet for its first 500 miles. Fresh oil in her car ( Di Subaru 2.5) does nothing to quiet it.
The 10W30 QSFS I went to quieted mine at least up to 3500 rpm. I am going to slowing bring the revs up in day to day driving and see how the engine responds to the 10W30 at higher rpm.

I might add that i am pretty deaf so If I hear something, it is likely loud,

- Ken

Lets say the engine is really in the dire condition you think it is. And it in fact is going to self destruct. Why baby it along? Let the thing blow. You're under warranty right? Let Ford put a new motor in it since you're convinced yours is defective.

I'm going to ask a question, what's the difference between Polaris and Blackstone. The last time I sent an oil sample out, was to Blackstone, but I do that mainly, to check for antifreeze, because I have an internal water pump in my 3.5 Ford Duratech

Yeah, I don't get it... you're putting the "incorrect" oil in now (10W-30) but you claim to have a mechanical issue with the engine... why not just run whatever Ford specs til it blows and then you get a brand new engine that's hopefully not defective?

I'm going to ask a question, what's the difference between Polaris and Blackstone. The last time I sent an oil sample out, was to Blackstone, but I do that mainly, to check for antifreeze, because I have an internal water pump in my 3.5 Ford Duratech
Polaris/OAI use gas chromatography for measuring fuel dilution; they measure it directly, they do not infer it from flashpoint like Blackstone does. That means that if you have a fuel diluter and you want to know what the actual figure is, sending it to them is going to give you the real number. We've seen, many times, huge variances between Blackstone's inferred figure and the measure figure from labs that use GC.

Polaris/OAI use gas chromatography for measuring fuel dilution; they measure it directly, they do not infer it from flashpoint like Blackstone does. That means that if you have a fuel diluter and you want to know what the actual figure is, sending it to them is going to give you the real number. We've seen, many times, huge variances between Blackstone's inferred figure and the measure figure from labs that use GC.
Thank you I appreciate that..

I have a question, I'm just trying to learn more about the conditions you are experiencing. Does the vehicle manufacturer recommend regular unleaded fuel for your application?

I have a question, I'm just trying to learn more about the conditions you are experiencing. Does the vehicle manufacturer recommend regular unleaded fuel for your application?
The manual recommends premium if spark knock is encountered. If I had the owners manual in the house I would photograph
that and post it. Never seen that verbiage before, But I never had a 12 :1 high output Four cylinder engine.

Yeah, I don't get it... you're putting the "incorrect" oil in now (10W-30) but you claim to have a mechanical issue with the engine... why not just run whatever Ford specs til it blows and then you get a brand new engine that's hopefully not defective?
The owner has responsibility to care for his car. I made need the vehicle in an emergency and need it to make the trip.

Many guys here, I have read, are putting one grade up in their Di engines. Plus this engine was a India/Asia market vehicle
built by Mahindra & Mahindra tractor. I bet that doesn't spec only 5W20.

I will go to the Service manager next week and discuss the issue I am having. I don't expect much to come from that, but
I'll give it a shot.

Back