Castrol Edge Synthetic 5W20, 2000 miles, 2020 Ford Ecosport 2.0 D.I

Just in from Blackstone. My D.I. Ford diluter. I see a couple major issues, but insol % wasn't bad.
I have to run to lunch will be back in a hour or so.
Have at it, guys !
20220406_115740.jpg
20220406_115740 (1).jpg

20220321_132843.jpg
20220321_133158.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds about right for a GDI, last time I changed my oil and went to recycle it at AutoZone the guys almost didn't take it because they thought it was mixed with gasoline. Best practice is to use a 0w40/5w40 and stick to 3k changes.

Looks like a good oci as vis is down to 7.1. Try M1EP in 5w-20 it's a 9 vis.

How is the fuel dilution so high? Does the EcoSport get many highway miles, or mostly short trips?

Wring it out like its a 429 and see what happens.

Better sell it. It's clearly already exploded.
Very Helpful.

I am running 10W30 as a bandaid. Runs O.K. under 3000 rpm.

Given the engine noise - where there was none of concern before,
fuel diluted 7cSt and concomitant low HTHS are inadequate in the particular example.

The Iron and Aluminum are running 3 X the universal average per 1k mile traveled.
You're assuming wear is linear, which is likely won't be. So you can't just extrapolate it out. In fact wear will likely decrease per mile over the OCI.

You can find whatever you like in this data, but it's clear from your posts in general the science doesn't matter.

How is the fuel dilution so high? Does the EcoSport get many highway miles, or mostly short trips?

Wring it out like its a 429 and see what happens.
Its a Direct Injection engine.

It's too noisy to wring it out now without cringing. When it was quiet I would ring it out periodically like
a Chevy 302 as happily as a clam in Rye beach

You're assuming wear is linear, which is likely won't be. So you can't just extrapolate it out. In fact wear will likely decrease per mile over the OCI.

You can find whatever you like in this data, but it's clear from your posts in general the science doesn't matter.
I am just reporting the data, on the other hand YOU are the one making making assumptions.

I have to leave to an appointment. Fight amongst yourselves for now :)

BTW, that was the third sump and second OCI. Previous was Valvoline Advanced 5W20 for 2K miles.

The Iron and Aluminum are running 3 X the universal average per 1k mile traveled.
Whoopdie doo? Dude, you have 6,000 miles on the engine, it's clearly still breaking in. What were you expecting? This is why we don't do UOA's on new engines. This report tells you nothing other than you have significant fuel dilution, which you were clearly already aware of.

Your iron is at 6 @ 2,090 miles, universal averages are 14 @ 7,200 miles. Aluminum is 5 and 5. These ppm counts are so low they are likely noise.

Your iron rate is 2.87ppm/1,000 miles
UAV iron rate is 1.94ppm/1,000 miles
That is NOT 3x. It isn't even 1.5x.

Your aluminum rate is 2.39ppm/1,000 miles
UAV aluminum rate is 0.69ppm/1,000 miles
Yes, that's 3.46x higher. Again, noise, this is an engine breaking-in, it means nothing.

I'd switch to 5w30 that is about 20% thicker.
maybe even pennzoil euro L or a similarly high cst 5w30.
and imo any sort of UOA before 10000-15000 miles is nearly useless except to establish trends.

of course you could just blame the engine again.. how many have you blown up now its clearly something you are doing... most people never blow one up unless they hole the oil pan with road debris or dont change the oil for years etc.

castrol edge and valvoline are on the thinner end of 5w-20 and start off at 8.2 and 8.0 cst @ 100c

I would switch to Edge EP (8.9) or M1 Vanilla or Castrol GTX Synthetic (magnatec) (8.6)

Whoopdie doo? Dude, you have 6,000 miles on the engine, it's clearly still breaking in. What were you expecting? This is why we don't do UOA's on new engines. This report tells you nothing other than you have significant fuel dilution, which you were clearly already aware of.

Your iron is at 6 @ 2,090 miles, universal averages are 14 @ 7,200 miles. Aluminum is 5 and 5. These ppm counts are so low they are likely noise.

Your iron rate is 2.87ppm/1,000 miles
UAV iron rate is 1.94ppm/1,000 miles
That is NOT 3x. It isn't even 1.5x.

Your aluminum rate is 2.39ppm/1,000 miles
UAV aluminum rate is 0.69ppm/1,000 miles
Yes, that's 3.46x higher. Again, noise, this is an engine breaking-in, it means nothing.
Yeah, in a rush I think I saw the Cu rate and confused it with Fe.

The car is 15 months old in constant service. By miles/hours it may not be worn in, but it has had two oil changes and 3 sumps to shed wer material before this sample and 15 months of heat cycling. One day last year it "disappeared" 3/4 quart after a 70 mile round highway trip. That is when I installed the Castrol. Valvoline was out of stock at Walmart.

I am not fretting the wear rate. I am concerned about the fuel dilution and the terrible oil appearance and the engine noise once it becomes diluted. I wonder how reliable B-S insol % number is - that look O.K.
I have 10W30 QSFS in there. I will see how that performs this summer.

I don't want to be changing the oil at 2000mi intervals going forward and I wanted a UOA in hand when I speak to the service manager.

I'd switch to 5w30 that is about 20% thicker.
maybe even pennzoil euro L or a similarly high cst 5w30.
and imo any sort of UOA before 10000-15000 miles is nearly useless except to establish trends.

of course you could just blame the engine again.. how many have you blown up now its clearly something you are doing... most people never blow one up unless they hole the oil pan with road debris or dont change the oil for years etc.
I have QSFS 10W30 in there now after a positive experience with that in my snowthrower this Winter. Doesn't seem to affect the VVT in this Mazda/Ford engine - so I am happy about that.

I am am very fastidious professional and use supposed quality supplies.

It all started with the mid 2000's Toyota's and Thailand sourced Denso filter that I proved w causing oiling issues vs. the Japan Denso foam media units.

Before this across over 40 cars I only lunched one motor and it was my fault, I stayed in the gas when my
trans wouldn't make a 1-2 shift in a street race. Snapped a rod on a 307 junkyard mockup engine in my '74 V8 Vega project car.

Back