Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read both of the backs of Edge ad EP. Even though they are advertising it to go up to 15K, this exclude SEVERE DRIVING CONDITIONS. And yet, Mobil 1 did a field test in Las Vegas(where I live). The cabs (you know how these engines are beaten) do 15K OCI. Try watching from www.mobil1.com.

Try phrasing your question in the form of a question...
54.gif

I see these posts and claims all the time, as the rest of you do… Edge good for 15K, M1 EP good for 15K, and naturally Amsoil, depending on product, goes upwards of 35K assuming SSO. However, these claims must be based on virtually 100% highway driving in ideal conditions (level ground) and not towing or carrying squat. In the UOA section, with some exceptions, even Amsoil gets beat up in longer drain intervals where the vehicle was not used in optimum conditions. Very few UOAs show and oil going the distance the manufacture claim and still being something you want in you sump.

Granted, not many UOAs as yet for Edge but I am not expecting it to be a shining example of an extended change interval oil unless used in under perfect conditions and maybe even with the additional help of a by-pass filtration system.

And in regard to cabs; how many have you been in that sounded like you would want to take off on a cross country drive in.?

Check out the UOA section.
There is a member who did a run and UOA with Edge, about 9K IIRC, and the TBN seemed too low at that point to have gone anything like 15K.

Originally Posted By: EPHIOS
I have read both of the backs of Edge ad EP. Even though they are advertising it to go up to 15K, this exclude SEVERE DRIVING CONDITIONS. And yet, Mobil 1 did a field test in Las Vegas(where I live). The cabs (you know how these engines are beaten) do 15K OCI. Try watching from www.mobil1.com.

Fascinating...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Check out the UOA section.
There is a member who did a run and UOA with Edge, about 9K IIRC, and the TBN seemed too low at that point to have gone anything like 15K.

thats not possible edge is 8x better
crackmeup2.gif

honestly either one is a good long oci oil. The only true way to know if it can make it to 15k is to do uoa's and gradually build on interval time until you reach the max oci for your vehicle and particular driving styles...

Last edited:
EPHIOS mentions that those cabs' engines "are beaten." In some senses, yes. But they tend to be started in the morning and run all day long and are not subjected to as many cold starts as the cars we drive to and from work and the store every day. Once they warm up they stay warmed up all day. In that sense, the average family car is subjected to "severe service" much more than the average cab.

Originally Posted By: Roy Gutfinski
EPHIOS mentions that those cabs' engines "are beaten." In some senses, yes. But they tend to be started in the morning and run all day long and are not subjected to as many cold starts as the cars we drive to and from work and the store every day. Once they warm up they stay warmed up all day. In that sense, the average family car is subjected to "severe service" much more than the average cab.

I disagree that cab service is is not severve on oil and engines. In an area like Lost Wages a cab will idle several hours daily which can elevate crank case oil temps very high. The M1 cab test was an in house test ran by Mobil but for the miles of the test, aprox 120,000 miles, The EP held up well and produced a clean and little worn engine. I have found the EP line to be excellant oil.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
tig1:

Have you had any UOAs performed on your EP OCIs?

Yes I have. This last Jan I checked the Focus with a 9200 mile OCI and it came back very good.

ALUM 2
CHROM 1
IRON 11
Cop 3
Lead and Tin 0
TBN 3.3
Flashpoint 380
Vis @ 100C 10.15

Originally Posted By: tig1
I disagree that cab service is is not severve on oil and engines.

I still think that those early morning "Paper Boy" delivery guys; the ones whom you hear early morning in residential neighborhoods flooring the accelerator as they jack rabbit driveway to driveway, idling in between, must subject their vehicles to some of the most severe service. In the winter it would be doubly severe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: tig1
I disagree that cab service is is not severve on oil and engines.

I still think that those early morning "Paper Boy" delivery guys; the ones whom you hear early morning in residential neighborhoods flooring the accelerator as they jack rabbit driveway to driveway, idling in between, must subject their vehicles to some of the most severe service. In the winter it would be doubly severe.

I think that their transmissions suffer more than the engine. We have a member, postaljeeper (iirc), that does the rural/suburban routine. He's on his original engine, but on his third reman on the trans (iirc). Constant shifting, even when done in an easy manner, is higher wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back