Castrol Edge-10w-30-10,177 miles...Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: Boomer
Again, I have to say if an M-1 user posted an UOA with iron at 21, there would be a flurry of "it's dissolving my engine" comments. I would not care to use Edge at it's original price for performance like this!!

Mobil 1 would have more iron than this in half the miles.

Really?

Not that I feel that these numbers mean anything about "wear", but for a 12,000Km (7,500 miles) OCI (mine), towing as well as running fully loaded through mountainous terrain, not to mention a VERY aggressive driving style M1 yielded 12ppm Fe on my Expedition.

What I cannot understand is for somebody who hates the stuff, why are you using it?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I meant I put a Fram air filter in it when I put the Castrol Edge in.

Since this is my first UOA ever and the first on this car I have no experience with other air filters to see what works best. I will also have to take a look at the filter and duct work.

Does anyone think the Silicone ADBV in an oil filter can leach silicon into oil and cause an elevated reading?

I think this looks pretty dang good. There's no wear other than some iron which for 10,000 miles is certainly not out of line.

I think your reults are very good, even considering the iron. On the Si, you You you may want to check that the air filter assembly is latched properly. I. Noticed on mine that its easy to think that the filter is installed properly but it may not be in the groove at the bottom of the assembly. Id also check the hose clamps leading to the throttle body. Some sloppy mechanics forget to tighten them back up. The Si valve in the oil filter shouldnt contribute to the Si, as its fully cured, and lacks the volatiles of fresh sealants. Im curious if the vis thinned out and then thickened up later on. At this point the vis appears to have held very well. Ive heard rumors that although edge is thinner than GC, it holds its vis even better, and we've all heard what a superb oil GC is. I dont care who makes my oil as long as it does its job well. Thanks for posting your uoa.

When you consider the amount of 'dirt' in the oil, and the fact that the engine is harder on oils to begin with, I think the Edge did pretty darn good. Held viscosity nicely.

Did you re-fill the car with more Edge, ZZMan?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Again, I have to say if an M-1 user posted an UOA with iron at 21, there would be a flurry of "it's dissolving my engine" comments. I would not care to use Edge at it's original price for performance like this!!

Really?

Not that I feel that these numbers mean anything about "wear", but for a 12,000Km (7,500 miles) OCI (mine), towing as well as running fully loaded through mountainous terrain, not to mention a VERY aggressive driving style M1 yielded 12ppm Fe on my Expedition.

What I cannot understand is for somebody who hates the stuff, why are you using it?

I wanted to try some high mileage oil to see if it would slow or stop my oil consumption (assuming a leak that evaporates before it drips, or leaky valve seals). There are only 2 full synthetic high mileage oils that I know of. I drove all around town and went to over a dozen stores looking for Valvoline Maxlife synthetic. When I didn't find it, I said screw it, I'll try the M1 10W-30HM since many people on BITOG say it's one of the best M1 oils.

Not liking the results as far as wear is concerned. Though, I do think my oil consumption is finally starting to slow.

I think we should play "Guess That Oil" with the UOAs here. Keep the brand masked until comments are in.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Did you re-fill the car with more Edge, ZZMan?

No...It has PP in it now. This was just an experiment as it had not been done by anyone yet. I wanted to put 5w-30 Mobil 1 HM in it but Walmart does not carry it here. I am still leaning towards trying AQmsoil later also.

Small sump, double the factory OCI recommendation, and still looking excellent.

This is why everyone should take what is written on the bottle lightly. The UOA shows that Edge is a 10k oil with this engine and driving style.

Wallyworld dropped the price here from $34 to $26 which is now reasonable.

Any oil consumption? top offs?

This engine has no problem fitting the PH3614(Tundra 4.7L) sized oil filter if you want a couple extra ounces of oil.

Replace or reseal the air filter and hoses. Si caused the wear.

M1 would have leveled off and likely shown similar FE given what we have typically seen here.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
8x better wear protection? Doesn't appear that was proven here.

There are people here that bought into that 4x-8x stuff.

Originally Posted By: tig1
chevrofreak,
You are a basher. Just admit it.

Mobil 1 sucks. Just admit it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...&gonew=1#UNREAD

I have NO reason to like Mobil 1. None.

Hold on now, let's keep it real here. Are you declaring the entire M1 line to be unsatisfactory, based upon your one questionable experience, with one of a large number of their products, used in a fairly elderly car???

Without question, you are entitled to your opinion, but with what appears to be only one less-than-conclusive datum point behind you, I think to be fair, you need to clearly state this as bare opinion.

Seriously, am I missing something?

Also, I think you'd also have to account for all the M1 success stories out there. I used it for ten years in my 88 Civic, and it was totally spotless inside and running like new when I traded it (big mistake...) in 98 (with ~150k miles).

====================

Back on point. While the Fe in this report certainly looks a tad out of line, it's really not that bad. My concern would be performance per money. As others have noted, a near-dead TBN at this mileage in an oil of this price would lead me to look elsewhere.

Today I checked the air filter housing and hoses etc.

I did find the 2 mounting bolts loose on the ait filter lid so I tightened them. Maybe that was the issue.

Last edited:
"Back on point. While the Fe in this report certainly looks a tad out of line, it's really not that bad. My concern would be performance per money. As others have noted, a near-dead TBN at this mileage in an oil of this price would lead me to look elsewhere."

Perfectly states my opinion on this UOA.

Contacted Blackstone and got an amended report showing proper engine and universal averages.

The UA's are not much different so no sense posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back