Castrol Edge-10w-30-10,177 miles...Toyota Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
8x better wear protection? Doesn't appear that was proven here.

With 8x the wear protection, Mobil 1 would have had 168 ppm of iron in this engine.
crackmeup2.gif

Curious... is this a PZEV engine? My mom has the same 2AZFE and I know to meet the PZEV requirements, Toyota increased the idle speed as well as tweaked it to run at higher temperatures than previous Camrys to burn off more emissions. This takes a BIG toll on the oil.

I've done 2 Auto-Rx Sludge Applications. Now using Amsoil SSO. The engine is much quieter now and with NGK Iridium IX over the factory Laser Iridiums, I notice more power and much smoother accelration and idle. I also consistently use FP Plus for the past 10k or so.

First oil analysis will be done at 10,000 miles. Mom drives conservatively with 70% highway and occasional hard accelerations.

It'd be interesting to see how it compares to your 2AZFE. Look for the analysis in a 2-3 months. I think she's only at 2,000 miles right now.

Originally Posted By: HighViscosity
On the Si, you You you may want to check that the air filter assembly is latched properly. I. Noticed on mine that its easy to think that the filter is installed properly but it may not be in the groove at the bottom of the assembly. Id also check the hose clamps leading to the throttle body. Some sloppy mechanics forget to tighten them back up. The Si valve in the oil filter shouldnt contribute to the Si, as its fully cured, and lacks the volatiles of fresh sealants. Thanks for posting your uoa.
I have posted on the adbv contribution too; flowing a solvent (with solid impurities) over it at enourmous rates at high temp over and extended period. It's gotta leach and erode somewhat. Thinking further - dont most cast pistons and Al diecast blocks use a high Si aluminum alloy? Folks are always looking to their AF assemblies - maybe the wrong place to look. OTW go back to the old oil bath centrifugal vortex filters used 1/2 a century ago!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
8x better wear protection? Doesn't appear that was proven here.

With 8x the wear protection, Mobil 1 would have had 168 ppm of iron in this engine.
crackmeup2.gif

Thats just cam, and tappet wear, so NO.

Originally Posted By: Basil
Curious... is this a PZEV engine? ... Toyota increased the idle speed as well as tweaked it to run at higher temperatures than previous Camrys to burn off more emissions. ... ... ...

Tweeked what to run at higher temps? Not the thermostat!? I dont think you mean - "burn off emissions" by definition they are past the catalyst andout the tail pipe when they are emissions.

Today I checked the air filter housing and hoses etc.

I did find the 2 mounting bolts loose on the ait filter lid so I tightened them. Maybe that was the issue.

I would also use the Toyota air filter rather than aftermarket, and see if that helps. The quality is good, even compared to Fram.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Basil
Curious... is this a PZEV engine? ... Toyota increased the idle speed as well as tweaked it to run at higher temperatures than previous Camrys to burn off more emissions. ... ... ...

Tweeked what to run at higher temps? Not the thermostat!? I dont think you mean - "burn off emissions" by definition they are past the catalyst andout the tail pipe when they are emissions.

That's what I thought. Made the thermostat open up full flow at a higher temperature. If I knew about it, I would've told her to avoid one with the PZEV sticker if they made a non-PZEV for CA.

I'm not really familiar with many of the technical terms... but that makes sense. I read in another forum that the PZEVs in CA don't have the heat shield for the headers. That would keep temperatures up in the engine bay as well.

It is not bad. You definitely reached the limit of this oil at 15K in this engine! The iron was higher then I thought it should be. I have a 10K UOA on here of my 03 Camry with the 2AZ-FE 2.4 I4 engine and your iron numbers where double mine but your milage was only 50% farther then mine. All thing considered though it is still a good UOA nothing is wearing abnormally and the oil did a decent job keeping wear in check.Try M1 0W40 or Amsoil HD 5W30 I think it is the S3k stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back