Castrol 0w40 has disappeared, suitable replacement?

Autozone STP Euro 5w40 used it in 2 VW Passats thier whole life one with 120k+ miles

Currently using in my Mercedes-Benz CLA250 until my stash runs out

This available at my Walmart for the same price. Does this oil have the same type of additive package?
It meets same exact specs. The link I sent is the oil you need. Walmart, Amazon, whatever is easiest to get.

Food for thought: "best" Motul (300V) costs a lot more than that kit you want to buy. The Motul you want to buy though, is just basic entry level oil, which is easily outperformed by oils that every other person recommended to you so far. Buy what you wish, but at least put some effort into making an informed and educated decision. Additive package is just a piece of the puzzle. The complete picture is better seen in certifications and approvals that an oil meets. Don't waste your money on that MOTUL kit. Look into the oils that many knowledgeable members here already recommended to you.

It meets same exact specs. The link I sent is the oil you need. Walmart, Amazon, whatever is easiest to get.

Food for thought: "best" Motul (300V) costs a lot more than that kit you want to buy. The Motul you want to buy though, is just basic entry level oil, which is easily outperformed by oils that every other person recommended to you so far. Buy what you wish, but at least put some effort into making an informed and educated decision. Additive package is just a piece of the puzzle. The complete picture is better seen in certifications and approvals that an oil meets. Don't waste your money on that MOTUL kit. Look into the oils that many knowledgeable members here already recommended to you.
My bad. I thought motul was decent oil.

It generally is, they are saying the one you're thinking of getting is inferior to the options discussed that are easily obtainable at Walmart.

It generally is, they are saying the one you're thinking of getting is inferior to the options discussed that are easily obtainable at Walmart.
Motul makes very good oils.

However, their 8100 is the better oil choice here instead of 6100. Its is their next tier of engine oil.

motul kit.jpg

Looks like you can get 2 Jugs of QS Euro and the Mann filter for about the same price as the Motul, and then you'll have a few quarts left for top-up or for your next change.

Motul makes very good oils.

However, their 8100 is the better oil choice here instead of 6100. Its is their next tier of engine oil.
I agree 100%.

I too was able to buy Castrol 0W-40 for around $27/5qt last month but they had changed the formula or something (I read it on here somewhere) so we are probably waiting for the new batch.

My WalMart has the Castrol 5W-40 on the shelves and if they're out my Home Depot has it for the same price. In fact, my Home Depot had cases of it this past Wednesday when I went to get some Japanese Beetle traps.

I was using M1 0w40 on my last vehicle and recently traded for my GTI and still have enough to do 2 oil changes on the GTI so I plan to use that. My Walmart has the tags for all of the Euro Castrol 5qt jugs, but those spots have been bare.

Where do you live? Unless you’re starting at a temperature below about -30 then the winter rating isn’t important. Again just focus on the approval.
I’ve read some threads where 0w uses better base oil than 5w. Maybe I was mistaken? 🤷‍♂️

Many people post many things mostly without technical backing to support it. That might be true but then again it might not, that’s why approvals are important. They guarantee performance.

The Walmarts here have m1 fs 0w40 $25
Yep, this is my easy to find choice. It's why I've been running it even before I needed an oil with VW502 approval. It's never not been on the shelf here. Castrol is hit and miss no matter where I've lived for Euro spec. I used to run the GC 0w30 in my LS1 GTO when I lived in Vegas, but I couldn't always get that either. That's when I first started running the M1 0w40. I've now also used it in my Jaguars and even in Fords calling for 5w20. Obviously none of those cars specc'd these oils, but to be honest I didn't trust the conventional 5w30 for extended drains on the Jags. One obviously was a bit dirty inside when I got it as the oil darkened very fast for the first couple of changes before it went to normal. Not very scientific I'm sure, but the oil must have been picking up something. I only started with euro oils after doing some reading when I got the GTO because at least in the LSX world most thought standard 5w30 was a bit weak for these engines and tended to sound much more metallic/mechanical with a standard 5w30.

Castrol 0w40 euro has been my go to for many years (after GC exited). Do we think it will come back soon, ever get the LL-01 certification, pr is it now more expensice for Castrol to make (because of PAOs in it) and it is now gone forever ?

Back