Castrol 0w 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just ordered 2 jugs of 0w-40 from Amazon for my upcoming oil change.

Having never bought any oil in 5qt jugs before, now I am also going to have to invest in an oil funnel.
smile.gif

For the bimmer or Audi?

The BMW.

So there are 4 different 0w40
- German Castrol 0w40 LL01 without Titanium sold in US
- German Castrol 0w40 LL01 with Titanium and the label 'VollSynthetish' (for Fully Synthetic) sold in EU
- Belgium Castrol 0w40 LL04 with Titanium and the label 'VollSynthetish' (for Fully Synthetic) sold in EU (except in Germany, and I don't know why)
- A new formulation since February of the Belgium Castrol 0w40 LL04 with Titanium and the label 'HC' (for HydroCracked) sold only in Belgium (for the moment)

This new formulation seems to have a very high flashpoint even by using ASTM D93 method : 244°C

I bought one in Belgium last month and I will send a sample for a VOA.

FIY, here the percentage of PAO is :
- between 25% and 50% for the Castrol Edge 0w40 LL01
- between 50% and 75% for the Castrol Edge 0w40 LL04

Viscosity @ 100°C:
LL01 = 13,4 mm²/s
LL04 = 12,95mm²/s

Viscosity @ 40°C:
LL01 = 76,5 mm²/s
LL04 = 77,1mm²/s

If you don't consider sulphated Ash which one is the best ? (I can use LL01 or LL04)

Originally Posted By: Kaiser
FIY, here the percentage of PAO is :
- between 25% and 50% for the Castrol Edge 0w40 LL01
- between 50% and 75% for the Castrol Edge 0w40 LL04

Viscosity @ 100°C:
LL01 = 13,4 mm²/s
LL04 = 12,95mm²/s

Viscosity @ 40°C:
LL01 = 76,5 mm²/s
LL04 = 77,1mm²/s

If you don't consider sulphated Ash which one is the best ? (I can use LL01 or LL04)

What is HTHS on LL-04? You can use in Germany LL04 in gas with no issues.

I don’t believe you can buy 0W-40 in the U.S. without titanium. We only have the titanium version, made in Germany or Belgium.

There are lot of versions
mad.gif
When you buy on on any website or directly on a shop you cannot know which version is..
You can just know that it is a LL01 or a LL04, It seems that several 0w40 LL04 exist, same as the LL01 version.
Castrol are so complicated....
I regret a lot the old version, the RS 0w-40, it was a very good oil in Germany...

Originally Posted By: Kaiser
LL04 requires 3,5 HTHS min like LL01 does

I know it is min. 3.5cp. My question is: did you find data what is actual HTHS?

Originally Posted By: Patman
There also seems to be a version of Castrol 0w40 in Europe which has the dexos2 certification as well.

That would most likely be the mid SAPS version, or LL04.

Here the Edge 0w40 LL04 Dexos². You can find it in any auto part store but difficult to find it on german web sites, it's curious.

Last edited:
I don’t believe you can buy 0W-40 in the U.S. without titanium. We only have the titanium version, made in Germany or Belgium.

Agreed. Not sure where that other data came from that was quoted. From what I've seen on the bottles/jugs, they have all the same specs, certifications, etc. Thus I believe they are the same oil, just made in different locals for whatever reason.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You can't buy green 0W-30 anymore. You haven't been able to for years.

The two products you can buy right now are nearly identical.

Yeah, the Elves lost the formula and it cannot be duplicated. Such a pity. We may never pass that way again.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN

Agreed. Not sure where that other data came from that was quoted. From what I've seen on the bottles/jugs, they have all the same specs, certifications, etc. Thus I believe they are the same oil, just made in different locals for whatever reason.

Despite having the same specs listed on the back of the bottle, the newer Belgian version seems to have somewhat different add pack than the older German version, as indicated by a BITOG'er who did a VOA on it. Still, I would not be concerned since it still meets all the same specs, so the performance must be comparable, IMO.

FYI, the 2 jugs I just received from Amazon are made in Belgium as well.

Did you get this done, have a 4 circles too and want to move away from getting the overprice dealer service? The issues is with the filter and reset on the machine that needs to be done after oil change if done with auto garages, how do you do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back