Castrol 0W-40 price shock!

The Quaker State 5w40 euro is what I've been using lately in my BMW N20 and N55 engines.
What's your overall impression of the QS? Been thinking of putting it in an X3 with N52.
Smoothness, lifter tick, general noise compared to say Castrol, free revving or does the 40 weight have a thickness penalty?
Yes, I'm asking for OP's perception of the change. No need for people to tell me any differences are in my head; the Buddha said common mortals only see our perception of the world, not the reality. Hence, all the scientific measurements one might have recorded are actually altered by our perception and no more valid than seat of the pants. :)
Thank you!

What's your overall impression of the QS? Been thinking of putting it in an X3 with N52.
Smoothness, lifter tick, general noise compared to say Castrol, free revving or does the 40 weight have a thickness penalty?
Yes, I'm asking for OP's perception of the change. No need for people to tell me any differences are in my head; the Buddha said common mortals only see our perception of the world, not the reality. Hence, all the scientific measurements one might have recorded are actually altered by our perception and no more valid than seat of the pants. :)
Thank you!
What?

No notable difference to report, just decided to try something different for a change, switched from using Total Quartz energy 9000 5w40 for the past couple of years.

Because it's basically re-branded Pennzoil Euro, that's one of the reasons why i'm using it. Cheaper than Pennzoil and more readily available in the 5 qt jug, plus it has the update 2018 LL01 using the N20 engine.

Last edited:
Thank you!
Buddha was a pretty good mechanic, he was hard on springs & seats, though! No wonder I always see liberal arts grads broken down.

Tell me again why keeping a stash is unnecessary?

[Linked Image]

Is that a personal garage photo, or a retail business. You are better stocked than most auto parts stores. I’d be envious, if I had the room for storage. My garage is already packed to the rafters with tools and spare parts. The parts, NOS and used, are going up in value faster than lubricants, and more rare too, so far.

Z

Back