Castrol 0W-40 price shock!

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by Astro14
Tell me again why keeping a stash is unnecessary?

Because you can buy three jugs for $57

Not anymore...At least, I can't.

So, I will use what I bought for cheap, while I wait for prices to return to normalcy.

Originally Posted by zmelli
Castrol 0w-40 price shock! Check todays price! What is going on here? Amazon and Walmart

It's $24.97 in (most) Walmart stores. I'm willing to bet that Amazon price-matches Walmart's pricing and then knocks some cents off so that they are lower (and this is done automatically).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Castrol 0w-40 price shock! Check todays price! What is going on here? Amazon and Walmart

It's $24.97 in (most) Walmart stores. I'm willing to bet that Amazon price-matches Walmart's pricing and then knocks some cents off so that they are lower (and this is done automatically).

No.

It's $47.25 at Walmart, $38.76 at Amazon, as of the time of this post.

That's the whole point of this thread: the price doubled sometime recently.

No.

My guess is clearing out old stock for a new reformulation during that sale. Likely explains why the left over stock is priced up from 3rd party sellers. Can't find the PDS for 0W-40 on Castrol's website for Americas anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Tell me again why keeping a stash is unnecessary?
Because you can buy three jugs for $57

Has been OOS for days now and the single jug is $47.xx online at WM

I was just at Advance Auto getting a filter for my daughter's TrailBlazer and the price of Castrol products went up about $11.00 plus per 5 quart jug. Ouch!

Originally Posted by motech
On the Wal-Mart app 0w-40 is $19.31 for a 5 quart jug: 5w-40 is $22.38.

Still shows $47.25 for me for a single 5 QT jug and the 3 & 6 pack are out of stock on web and WM app. Maybe it changes based upon zipcode.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by motech
It must be based on zip code- I've got 0w40 below $20 for a 5 quart jug.

[Linked Image]

It's back to normal price for me here as well. Stock up!

No.

Yes, the price was $24.97 when I checked it during the middle of this discussion. It was pointed out more than once that the $47 offering was NOT from Walmart but from a 3rd-party seller that uses Walmart's platform. When will people learn that walmart.com pricing is not indicative of in-store pricing. I even posted a link that would have shown that much lower price.

Originally Posted by Gixxer8989
I believe it's been discontinued in Canada.

I think you're correct as all my local Canadian Tire stores had it on final clearance for $29.93 a jug and only one store remaining with a bit of stock. I hope they come out with another reasonably priced oil like that as all my cars seem to use the Mobil 0w40.

Back