Castrol 0W-40 price shock!

Still $19.31 online at WM and the 3 and 6 packs are in stock. I wonder if SP is coming soon and Castrol is clearancing the SN out.

It's currently $19.31 shipped to PA (Bucks County)

0CE6D9FD-DEA7-4C5B-B65B-2E8E7DE0C54D.png

Bought 3 pack today for $19.31 each at local WM. Says it's made in Belgium. Where else is this oil made?
Checked PDS and Mo=0? Compare to M1 Euro 0W40 Mo=87. That's not great is it? I think the later will be my next choice.
But Ti in Edge is 42 and in M1 is 0. So the Ti makes up for lack of Mo? Confused.

Originally Posted by js1956
Bought 3 pack today for $19.31 each at local WM. Says it's made in Belgium. Where else is this oil made?
Checked PDS and Mo=0? Compare to M1 Euro 0W40 Mo=87. That's not great is it? I think the later will be my next choice.
But Ti in Edge is 42 and in M1 is 0. So the Ti makes up for lack of Mo? Confused.

One way to try and reduce confusion is to go by the approvals, certifications and specifications the oil carries rather than trying to read the tea leaves of a PDS or VOA. Maybe you're able to divine one is better by the PDS but I'm not.

Originally Posted by kschachn

One way to try and reduce confusion is to go by the approvals, certifications and specifications the oil carries rather than trying to read the tea leaves of a PDS or VOA. Maybe you're able to divine one is better by the PDS but I'm not.

Both oils I mentioned have VW502.00 approval my Golf calls for in manual so I guess I can't go wrong with either one. I was just surprised the Edge has no Mo.

Both oils I mentioned have VW502.00 approval my Golf calls for in manual so I guess I can't go wrong with either one. I was just surprised the Edge has no Mo.

Why is it surprising?

Castrol prides itself with Ti in their oil. They use Ti instead of MO. There's more than one way to achieve desired results and lubrication without the ever popular MO.

I Castrol 0w40 is getting hard to find again. Crazy Price on Amazon and Out of stock at Walmart.

I didn't know STP makes a Euro oil, apparently $26.99/5qt jug at AutoZone.

No licenses or approvals listed on the bottle, so I wonder what makes it Euro.

STP Euro 5L jug

It would be hard to conceive of many applications where a VW 504/507 or Mercedes-Benz 229.51 approved oil wouldn't also be appropriate. Valvoline Euro XL-III is still available on Amazon for $26.24/5 quarts when you buy three. That's the best value out there right now.

Walmart removed it off the planograms at stores, all they carry is 5W30 and 5W40 anymore
Interesting.... I know I saw it last time I was in a store (not long ago) but according to their website, yeap, none in my local store and I didn't scroll through enough pages to see if I could order it. I do see 5W-40 though which I've been looking to try anyway. I don't like the sound of Edge 0W-40 in my G35 so I stick to 5W-30 Magnatec. May give it a try on my next oil change.

Back