Carbon-Soak-Removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a question...what product (if any) will dissolve/soften carbon > lets say on the back of an intake valve?

Reason I ask...on a V-Twin Harley (carb/intake manifold removed) the backside of the intake valve is somewhat in clear view.

And...when the intake valve is closed something could be added to the intake runner where it could 'pool' and soften/dissolve the crusty, black, tar like deposits.

And then...I could go in with a finger and a rag and wipe that dissolved muck away!

So...is there anything over the counter that will soften those deposits...maybe something like Seafoam or...?

GM Combustion Chamber Cleaner does this. I've used it to clean Ford IAC valves of heavily encrusted carbon with great success.

Once I had a remote control airplane engine with carbon buildup on the top of the piston. I used a product that loosened the carbon, but the loose pieces of carbon were very abrasive on the piston and cylinder wall. Ruined that engine.

One of the things to keep in mind is that if you loosen the carbon, it may kill the piston, and cylinder wall.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
GM Combustion Chamber Cleaner does this. I've used it to clean Ford IAC valves of heavily encrusted carbon with great success.

Renamed as GM Top Engine Cleaner, disappeared for a bit or at least I couldn't find it but then it appeared reformulated (per the Chevy parts guy) with a new name but still very good

The Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner used to be excellent, now it's a repackaged Wynn's product that didn't work well for me.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Once I had a remote control airplane engine with carbon buildup on the top of the piston. I used a product that loosened the carbon, but the loose pieces of carbon were very abrasive on the piston and cylinder wall. Ruined that engine.

One of the things to keep in mind is that if you loosen the carbon, it may kill the piston, and cylinder wall.

Thats what I was thinking as I read this. Sticking your finger in to clean off the carbon isn't going to do a great job and you're going to have chunks of carbon entering your combustion chamber. I'd leave it alone personally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Use regane or techron. Those fuel additives will dissolve the deposits. And use tc-w3 in the fuel and they won't come back.

X-2.

Needs a good old Italian Tune up.

As stated above, large chunks of hard carbon can cause problems as they find their way out the tailpipe.

Around here we use kreen to stop carbon knocking in our fleet trucks. Works great in an automotive application!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Needs a good old Italian Tune up.

+1 go to a nearby small airport and add some 105 octane gas (maybe 1/2 tank and 2 cans of seafoam to the gas tank and then beat that mutha.
57.gif
Wait its a Harley....1/2 can of seafoam.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Use regane or techron. Those fuel additives will dissolve the deposits. And use tc-w3 in the fuel and they won't come back.

"techron"
...again I want to puddle it on the back of that intake valves > will this product dissolve the carbon rather quickly > like in a few hours?
Also, I see a few different "Techron's" on the shelf...which one should I use for the "soak" ???

Comment > To lubricate the injection pump and injectors I use TCW3 in my diesel truck 1-oz to 1-gal of fuel.

Question > why or how does the use of TCW3 in 'gas' prevent deposits from forming on the back of intake valve, as it's adding 'oil' to the gas?
Why just not use Techron in the tank?

Thanks for the feedback, Ray

You can't dissolve carbon. You can only loosen the stuff that binds carbon. Once it had formed a hard surface, the only way to clean up valve is to sand blast or use walnut shells like BMW did years ago. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
You can't dissolve carbon. You can only loosen the stuff that binds carbon. Once it had formed a hard surface, the only way to clean up valve is to sand blast or use walnut shells like BMW did years ago. Ed

Well, it's not dry and I can almost pick this stuff off with my fingernail, then kind of crunch it with my fingers.
Maybe it's not fully hardened carbon as it normally appears in the combustion chamber.

...and then there's always the old standby methyl ethyl ketone. It works and you're not in California, so it shouldn't give you cancer.

If you really want to know, take any of your old spark plug which has nice coating of carbon and let it sit in the solvent of your choice for some time.

I have tried it with bunch of chemicals including (and not limited to) techron, kreen, mmo etc and *nothing* takes off the carbon of the spark plug except sandpaper scrubbing.

Go ahead and try it yourself. Don't listen to all the yahoos here (including myself)

I used Amsoil Power Foam to remove carbon from an IAC on Wednesday, it worked like a champ for this Yahoo. But hey don't listen to me.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I used Amsoil Power Foam to remove carbon from an IAC on Wednesday, it worked like a champ for this Yahoo. But hey don't listen to me.

Is this where I launch into a huge diatribe about Amway and multi level marketing and some idiot at the county fair, etc???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back