Which Liqui Moly product is the most similar to B-12 Chemtool? (For a piston soak)

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I want to do a piston soak on my Scion (2.4 2AZ-FE) and have a lot of LM products at my disposal (long story).

I see B-12 Chemtool is a popular choice for this procedure. Since it is basically a fuel injection cleaner I presume LiquiMoly's Fuel System Cleaner, Gasoline System Cleaner, Valve Cleaner, or Jectron products would be good substitutes?

Whatever is in B-12 to that removes carbon from stuck piston rings is probably in LiquiMoly's products? What exactly is working here, a solvent to dissolve the carbon or some other action / chemical?

Last edited:
The Liquimoly product looks to be mostly naphthenic solvent.
1684113157164.jpg

B12 Chemtool is a mix of Toulene, Ketones, Alcohols, and 2-butoxyethanol.
1684113251984.jpg

Go to E46 Fanatics and search DMSO. BMW M54 engines, particularly the 3 liter version, are notorious oil burners. The problem in the oil control rings get gummed up. DMSO works great.

I want to do a piston soak on my Scion (2.4 2AZ-FE) and have a lot of LM products at my disposal (long story).

I see B-12 Chemtool is a popular choice for this procedure. Since it is basically a fuel injection cleaner I presume LiquiMoly's Fuel System Cleaner, Gasoline System Cleaner, Valve Cleaner, or Jectron products would be good substitutes?

Whatever is in B-12 to that removes carbon from stuck piston rings is probably in LiquiMoly's products? What exactly is working here, a solvent to dissolve the carbon or some other action / chemical?
Not to be used as a piston soak but allegedly LiquiMoly Motor Flush will have a beneficial impact on piston rings. LM doesn't sell anything as aggressive as B-12.

What an unlikely chemical to loosen piston rings, used in biology lab settings! I'll check Amazon out and order a bottle, thank you for the recommendation.
Be careful when handling it. Always wear gloves. It not only gets absorbed by your skin easily, anything it carries will as well.

it strips the paint, and:
Use of DMSO in medicine dates from around 1963, when an Oregon Health & Science University Medical School team, headed by Stanley Jacob, discovered it could penetrate the skin and other membranes without damaging them and could carry other compounds into a biological system. In medicine, DMSO is predominantly used as a topical analgesic, a vehicle for topical application of pharmaceuticals, as an anti-inflammatory, and an antioxidant.[28] Because DMSO increases the rate of absorption of some compounds through biological tissues, including skin, it is used in some transdermal drug delivery systems. Its effect may be enhanced with the addition of EDTA.

it strips the paint, and:
I've been reading the reviews on Amazon and some people are drinking it. Complaining about a plasticky and garlic smell. Maybe the plastic bottle is dissolving and getting into the DMSO. I don't think people should be playing pharmacist at home....adding it to unknown essential oils and DIY creams.

for medical purpose should be sold only in glass.
another problem is the grades of chemical purity:
who knows if they buy repackaged technical grade dmso, containing impurities....smearing on skin 😬

Back