A solution to Direct Injection carbon issues?

No. LSPI is caused by liquid oil inside the combustion chamber. MMO is not going to do anything and frankly I wish MMO was a banned topic. People attribute all sorts of things to MMO when it does nothing.
Does nothing, huh? Completely ignoring the fact that it's more of a solvent than oil?

Does nothing, huh? Completely ignoring the fact that it's more of a solvent than oil?

Ban it forever!!!!!

Oil catch cans (separators) are legit and will definitely help reduce intake valve buildup on DI engines. Personally I would not bother with any kind of oil injection system for upper cylinder lubrication. In a properly designed engine, the valve guides and cylinder walls are lubricated with engine oil. Valve faces and valve seats are made of specific materials to withstand the severe beatings. If there's excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chamber, that won't be helped by injecting more oil into the mix. Maybe I'm missing something but those are my thoughts.

adding solvent to engine oil= engine flush
adding solvent to petrol - makes no sense, it is already a solvent.
In direct injection engines petrol (solvent) does not get to travel through the intake manifold and wash the intake valves. That is where this drip injection solution comes in, as it gets to apply the solvent power to keep the intake valves clean.
Newer engines solved that problem by having both direct injection and port injection (Like Lexus IS350 for example) and engines live a long life. But those that only have direct injection (like Lexus IS250) suffer greatly from carbon build up on intake valves and could benefit from such vacuum drip-injection system. And the fluid used can be any automotive fuel system cleaner, but MMO just makes the most sense due to value-per-dollar. I recently also learned that some people even add straight Lacquer Thinner or Mineral Spirits to mix with MMO or Gumout fuel system cleaner.

vacuum drip-injection system
where u would put it? if close to throttle body, then this mist may condense too early in the intake (plastic) pipes... and it may not arrive to last 1-2inches around valves-where it gets hot and where the spray is needed most.
flashlube system is stupid, because vacuum is highest at idle, and lowest at pedal at floor.
so it will spray full at idle, and low at full power --- exactly opposite what u need..

this is how close to valves the lpg nozzles are installed:
i think u should do the same with the "intake cleaner system"
0214564546.jpg

I used this product recently and it seems to have improved things in my 2014 Focus With GDI.
I wasn't feeling any issues prior to using this product but I felt that I might as well do some IV cleaning for the first time as my Focus approached 60K. The car did idle smoother and seemed to run better afterwards. When I purchased this STP product last year it was $29.99 at AZ 'on sale' from $39.99....now it's $29.99 everyday price.

Looks like $30 seafoam.

Looks like $30 seafoam.
It's true that you could buy CRC or Seafoam for about 1/2 the cost of this product but the way it's 'dispensed' makes it easy to use. OTOH you could pay $150 or more for a 'professional' intake valve cleaning and it would probably get similar results.

Basically just a drip oiler, operated by engine vacuum. Seems to make sense in many applications. Obviously don't see many Direct Injection users (yet), so brought this product from the dead for discussion.
Thanks for posting that. Really neat set ups. I worked for a mechanical engineer who devised a system very similar for use on some older boiler / power house equipment. This was 26 years ago so I kind of wonder if he saw this or invented his own. It worked great at the time. He was pretty sharp.

Basically just a drip oiler, operated by engine vacuum. Seems to make sense in many applications. Obviously don't see many Direct Injection users (yet), so brought this product from the dead for discussion.
I thought it was designed for oil at first. I see now that they were using the dreaded Marvel Mystery Oil. I think the mystery is (its a solvent) called an oil. Been using MMO since about 1975 or so on advice of mechanics and a couple engine builders.

Marketing works. The I am going to keep my car forever or until the rot kills the body or the $6,000 trans rebuild on a vehicle worth $2,000.00 happens.

Soot production varies in my observation based on make model and power output. my 2012 BMW 328 Which is still going strong with a friend I sold it to,produced a ton of exhaust soot leaving evidence on the exhaust tips and back body panel.
My current vehicles both have 2GRFKS engine and it does not display any evidence of exhaust soot. But these are not turbo-charged and they have the dual injected 24DS system. Not that I think it doesn’t produce more suit than a straight port injected engine but it isn’t the same as those powerful 2 L direct injected and turbo charged engines are which I always changed at about 5K because the turbo anyway

Toyota and VW/Audi are two off hand which implemented secondary port injection on their DI engines. Today the reality is that carbon build up on DI engines is NOT causing drivability issues. Automakers have developed tricks to address it (ex, better PCV systems, injection of some fuel while intake valve open.

Yes some buildup may be present but it's not the same as build up which impacts drivability or performance (power, FE).
My Chevy Cruze Diesel that had the head pulled at 30k miles to clean all the gunk causing driveability issues may disagree with your statement.

I am not affiliated with this company in any way, shape, or form. But seems like it could help with many carbon and LSPI issues of the Direct Injection engines. I may be overlooking something though, so feel free to post your opinions and facts on whether this is a good/bad idea and why.

From their website:

Expect These Benefits​

-Increase in fuel economy by reducing friction
-Reduced valve-to-seat wear
-Eliminate sticking valves; quieter valve train
-Removal of carbon deposits which cause pre-ignition
-Protection of valve stems, guides, seats, rings, and cylinder bores
-Increased compression, power, efficiency and engine life!View attachment 74842View attachment 74843View attachment 74844
Chevron with Techron.

There are so many "claims" out there today it is hard to keep up with them all. Just last week I found myself reading what appeared to be an official Valvoline (nothing against Valvoline oil - used it for years) page that was describing all the wonderful new innovative changes that have gone into their latest motor oil. Even "claims" to help prevent and keep intake valves clean in Di engines. Then in the tiny, small print at the bottom I am sure most folks do not read..... something to the effect, "these are the opinions of the writer and in no way is verified!" YIKES, why even write an article and post it like that?

Mind explaining how Chevron with Techron gonna clean the intake valves in a direct injection engine with no secondary port injection?
I think it's the best cleaning otc gasoline you can run. I ain't mechanically changing my engine for a possible issue 100,000 down the road. Jmo

There are so many "claims" out there today it is hard to keep up with them all. Just last week I found myself reading what appeared to be an official Valvoline (nothing against Valvoline oil - used it for years) page that was describing all the wonderful new innovative changes that have gone into their latest motor oil. Even "claims" to help prevent and keep intake valves clean in Di engines. Then in the tiny, small print at the bottom I am sure most folks do not read..... something to the effect, "these are the opinions of the writer and in no way is verified!" YIKES, why even write an article and post it like that?
Found that article and had to read it again,
  • The content above was submitted by a guest contributor and is for informational purposes only. The views and opinions expressed in this content are those of the guest contributor and do not reflect the views and opinions of Valvoline LLC.

Last edited:
Back