Inverse Oiler to Reduce Intake Sludge (DI/Turbo)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might consider a combo of things to combat it. You could do an EGR block and a Catch Can and then add a water-methanol injection kit. The first two would help prevent buildup and the meth would run over the intake valves and do some cleaning.

There's also some other methods going around. I suggest reading some posts from saaber1 who has a wealth of knowledge on this subject and posted tons of valuable information on these boards about the subject. He's also very active about finding solutions. He's done some pretty cool things to his car to pretty much eliminate the issue altogether... highly recommend you read some of his posts.

Hi shpankey,

Since this is a turbo engine, there are two connections to the intake, the PCV system (which includes an OEM catch can as part of the design) and a second vacuum connection from the front valve cover to the pre-turbo intake tubing (this one does not have a catch can). With respect to the EGR, I'll have to check to see if the ecoboost engine has an EGR of if EGR is provided with variable valve timing.

I've read some of saaber1's posts and I'll revisit them as well. I am going to try and get a view of the intake valves on my engine using a flexible video camera and will post the results once I have them.

An inverse oiler is an expensive way to do it! VTA the PCV and blank off the EGR, equally effective and almost free! And no extra weight to drag down performance or economy..
You know it makes sense
wink.gif

The problem with any DI engine is the manifold is a "dry" design.

It is not intended for the even distribution of any liquids.

Expect uneven distribution and perhaps even puddling or damages...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Good point.

Wrong. Anybody knows a liquid evaporates, some immediately as it hits the airstream, and whatever might settle at first will quickly change state. I really thought this was common knowledge, you surprise everyone.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar

Wrong. Anybody knows a liquid evaporates, some immediately as it hits the airstream, and whatever might settle at first will quickly change state. I really thought this was common knowledge, you surprise everyone.

So any liquid, MMO, Lucas UCL etc. WILL evaporate in a manifold ?
New science to me, as I always thought that stuff like boiling point, vapor pressure latent heat, turbulence and available heat had something to do with what, and what percentage of it evaporates (in an intake manifold)

As usual, I've learned some more unique science from you FetchFar

Thank you

I wish that you'd have explained this to the gasoline that pooled in the bottom of my engineering thesis, it would have been way easier measuring the fuel film velocity when all I had to really had to do was pitot the airflow (as all the fuel was in the air)

(As an aside, when Mercedes was playing with the wankel engine, they relied on the unevaporability of engine oil to lubricate the apex seals - theirs was a peripheral port,and had apex seal wear - they put a porous section on the bottom of the manifold, and seeped engine oil through the porosity to create a creeping film of oil that just wet the apex seal without contamintaing the bulk charge and lowering octane...guess that engine oil didn't know that it would evaporate either)

Originally Posted By: FetchFar

Knowledge is never common, is it?

"A liquid" is hardly very descriptive or specific. Are we talking about oil or water? Gasoline? Lots o' liquids out there, eh?

What is not surprising is the ignorance. And I am sure that NO ONE is surprised!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back