Car Wreck-Depreciation? Sell or keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all new suspension it's probably a better car after the wreck. It wasn't worth much to begin with, don't worry about depreciation.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
With all new suspension it's probably a better car after the wreck. It wasn't worth much to begin with, don't worry about depreciation.

+1

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

+1

+2. Fix it and drive it.

Been there, done that. Let me tell you what I did.

2000 Grand Caravan. T-boned. Drove it home. Insurance had me take it to a preferred shop. Van sat there for weeks with no feedback. Finally told ins co I was taking it home and would keep the van. I listed all the new parts, tires, brakes, etc. Told ins co I would take it to my own body man. Suddenly the preferred shop started working on it. Went to the shop and took the keys, jumped the battery and drove it home. I leaned on the ins co and got an acceptable settlement. Took it to my guy and had it repaired. We got another 6 years of good service with it. Finally, at 13 years old and 153K miles, sold it to my son. It was worth about the same as if it had a clean title.

The reality is, if you are going to keep the vehicle and drive it to the end of usefulness, It really doesn't matter whither you have a salvage title or not. If, on the other hand, if your were planning to trade it in the near term, just take the settlement and move on.

Be honest but firm with the ins co. Talk to someone locally that you trust. Good luck,

Wayne

Yes,you can get a check cut to you for the depreciation value. Get in touch with the at fault driver's insurance company and demand it.

Thanks all for the input. Today a few updates. I received a check in the mail from other persons insurance for 1144 (along with their appraisal at 1144 for repairs)
Went directly to my insurance guy Donnie who wrote a short and frank letter after drawing a giant void mark on the check.
His letter said " I am returning the check sent to my client for property damage to her vehicle claim number ########; to reiterate our company is handling all repairs to this vehicle and will subsequently contact you once repairs are completed for payment. Frankly, the check you sent is inadequate as the repairs far exceeded the amount.
We at ####### firmly believe in taking care of our customers interest first. We will subjugate as necessary to your firm once the matter has been settled and subjugate any costs due in the interim at the close of all repairs."
The letter goes on to discuss payment of medical bills and enclosed signed documents needed to expedite medical bills blah blah.
Donnie told me my insurance valued my car well above what the other company did; and that totaling it is out of the question. He explained to me that since I am not at fault I do not have to bend to anyone's will as far as payment, costs, repair work, or which shop does what.
He went on to tell me to use my insurance to the fullest and to send all to them at the close of treatment (torn tendon in left shoulder , cut on face bruising -normal wear and tear car wreck junk. He told me that I need to log every mile driven to and from doctors, auto shop, etc. To log every minute on the phone pertaining to the incident and to keep ample documents.
He was really reassuring and helped me to feel at ease.
As for depreciation to the vehicle he drew up a statement to be partially filled by me and partially filled by the service providers at the dealership to the overall repairs done. This is to send to the other firm as a basis for request on "depreciation". He said its better to ask and get a no than to let it be and wonder.
Meanwhile I have a loaner vehicle for up to 900$ and ford says I should get my car back this Friday fully repaired.
We did ask about a few items not listed on the repair agenda just in case
-alignment after suspension work is completed
- what if anything was done to check my four wheel drive function during the repair (It was fully functioning and serviced last november)
And what if any warranty / guarantee can we expect for the repairs.
I love my car. I'm excited I have some info and more excited that I have an agent so very in tune to my needs.

Pretty stoked actually. But the whole thing has been a lot of learning.

My insurance has been downright amazing. We have full coverage on all our cars with extra towing extra loaner and medical coverage just in case since we use our tow hitches frequently (I've heard horror stories of being rear ended with a trailer hitched up) and make trips out of state for family a ton.I didn't need tons of towing this time; literally four miles, but to know I had all the benefits at my disposal has been great. I am using mine and they will be sending the at fault the bills when its done. Peace of mind is worth it, and the price is great too I've never really thought about our insurance until this week but I'm glad we thought ahead. Even more glad the kids werent in the car with me. Someone would have been pulled out of their car through the windshield had the kids been hurt in any way.
I appreciate all the replies and help with this- if I can I'll post some before after shots of the car.
Sincerely
A Noob who loves her Exploder

Last edited:
I got the explorer back. Its pretty.
They detailed it interior and exterior since a drink was spilled in the wreck. So its looking sharp
I smelled some burning last night like coolant.
Opened her up and all is dry. No visible spots anywhere above or underneath.
Noticed a slight vibration on highway needs a balance on tires.
All feels normal otherwise.
It rides well, the normal ups and downs of mountain curves were handled just as they should be.
The hood has almost Zero tension where they put it back on.I'll have them tighten that up.
I haven't tried the 4x4- it worked great before and I'm curious on if there is any impact.
If there's anything I'm missing that I should check- shoot me a line.
Thanks

Took car to my dealership to have her double checked after getting it back- Noticed disconcerting items that led me to return my car to be fixed up. I wanted to make sure the wobble was okay and the smell was me being paranoid. Score for me being nervous.
1) my hood had scratches where they took it off and played it. Noticeable scuffing on raised edges of both sides consistent with improper placement. (I don't honestly care about scuffs but my tech said to mention it)
My tech photographed this and the hood was not fully secured on drivers side (hadn't been properly tightened on reassemble. Tech photographed, and secured the hood.
2) the shimmy felt was from rim damage. The tires were rotated to the back. Upon examination the scuffs were still visible on the tire and the rim was bent where it impacted. Photographed that.
There Was coolant on the interior side of the radiator and a tiny (for lack of better words) hairline crack on the rear of it, and it is on the right hand side, not correctly seated- pushed to the rear. While the damage was not significant and it could very well have gone unnoticed for a while - the locarion and placement of the radiator indicates this is not a long term leak and coincides with the accident. (Pushed back, no old coolant stains,grime etc-only clean new coolant)Took photos and used a marker to draw over the crack to show its location.
3) upon lifting the vehicle it was noted most all parts on the drivers suspension are replaced. The CV is a replacement, but is a faulty part and the boot is torn, with grease flung onto other newer parts.
4) the fog light bulb was never replaced but the assembly was put on.
This is in my opinion, pretty low for a dealership. We get bad parts and it stinks but we test them and check them- a dealership should always check.
But to be honest I didn't expect perfection and I didn't honestly think that I would have brand new anything. Just working parts and repairs done with honesty. Don't rotate a dinged up dented tire and not disclose it. Dang.
But bright side
New wheel ordered.
New CV
Hood being buffed. New hood hardware.
And a few other weird stuffs.
I'd say I just want this to be over.but that's not true.
I just want it to be right.

wrecked_zpsb00778b9.jpg

Almost $5000 in repairs. All done with genuine Mopar parts by a very reputable and professional shop.

There was no visible damage after the repair. You would have to spend some time under the car removing things to find a clamp mark. Exceptional body repair work.

It didn't matter. It all showed up on the dealer's report (Carfax?). Tanked the trade in value.

It was a hit and run. No other driver to sue for diminished value. He left behind a C1500 under bumper air deflector but no way to ID him with that.

Should have just kept the darn thing until it was no longer safe or economical to drive. But my wife had been driving the same car for almost 10 years and if mama ain't happy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back