Car GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
I've experienced two versions. First, the built-in system in our 04 Prius. Pretty good, but the maps date back six years now, and I'm not about to pay the several hundred bucks for the update disc. I do really like the "cleanliness" of the in-dash installation as compared to the various add-on units.

In the Camry, I have a Magellan, narrow-screen unit. Screen is too small, but, and here's the kicker -- it was a FREE AMEX bonus points program. One can put up with a few shortcomings when the thing is free.

With that in mind, a couple thoughts. Even a lower end unit can be very, very useful and provide what is really needed -- guidance to a destination.

And how 'bout this for perspective: during the early years of my USMC career, I was one of the last aircrew to train on the "ICAP-I" version of the EA-6B aircraft. This jet, while tremendously capable in the electronic warfare context, had an absurdly horrible navigation system. It had a multi-beam doppler radar that was supposed to keep track of the jet's position over the ground. No GPS back then (mid-late 80s), and no INS either. Ironically, this awful system made us all better at navigation, because none of us could rely upon the nav system to do it for us (as intended...). After a typical 2.5 hr flight, without constant manual updating, your system could be dozens, occasionally hundreds, of miles off. . . A challenge to say the least.

OK, so what? What amazes me is that even the rudimentary add-on in-car systems that can be had for $100, give or take, are vastly superior to what we had our $70 million Prowlers in the mid-80s. Of course, today, the surviving jets now have both INS and GPS, and are vastly superior to what we had. But still, I smile when I read comparisons of in-car nav units, as I think back to a time when it was my job to get jamming and/or ordnance on-target, on-time, with tools that make a modern $100 in-car nav look good.

Perspective is a good thing. Do some homework, pick the one you want, enjoy it, and don't look back!
cheers3.gif

wise words... can't believe they certified that system of navigation for use in a warplane!!

Believe -- it's called purchasing from the lowest bidder.

In fairness to whoever made that ancient doppler system, when I used it, the INS-equipped ICAP-II was on its way, and I don't think they were doing much to keep the worn out systems running well. We even got stop-gap LORANs to help, but yeah, it was scary. The jets also had TACAN and ADF for "admin" flying in the US, but those were pretty useless for the "war" part of warplane.

Ah, but from adversity good things often come. I STILL find myself keeping a mental DR plot going even when driving my CAR in unfamiliar territory. Add to that the advice from my nice little Magellan, and getting lost doesn't happen often.

... Add to that the advice from my nice little Magellan, and getting lost doesn't happen often.
Ooooo, quoting myself -- that's pretty vain, isn't it?
wink.gif

Seriously though, I'd like to also add that one should never consider the guidance these units provide as anything more than "ADVICE". WE have the brains -- it has an antenna, a receiver, and a chip. Think about that.

Just yesterday, my wife and I were headed from a wedding to the reception, which was being held at a place I didn't know, but I knew the area it was in. My wife's Garmin plotted a route that would have gotten us there, but by a longer, slower route (yes, the settings and prefs are all as they should be). Seeing this dicrepancy, I took charge and re-routed us on a quicker, shorter path. A few seconds after I skipped the Garmin-directed turn, it recalculated and displayed my chosen route. Oddly enough the Garmin does this more than my Magellan.

Anyway, never forget that YOU'RE in charge, not that little box on the dash.

p.s. a couple times when I was stationed in New Orleans, the Prius's nav would plot routes that would have taken me into territory no non-gang-banger should EVER enter. Think before you steer!

Quote:
p.s. a couple times when I was stationed in New Orleans, the Prius's nav would plot routes that would have taken me into territory no non-gang-banger should EVER enter. Think before you steer!

Always be critical of the surrounding environment.

"If something feels wrong, it probably is" - Jason Borne giving advice to Nickie.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
here's a good reason to buy a TomTom

I have a Magellan 265WT and it works great.

That is [censored] awesome! I need that for my TomTom.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
here's a good reason to buy a TomTom

I have a Magellan 265WT and it works great.

265WT is a Garmin model number

Just received the TomTom XXL-540TM today. I spent two hours downloading the latest firmware and map updates for it.

The large screen is definitely a plus. I cannot imagine using a GPS with a screen smaller than 5".

Not sure how well it works as I have not driven anywhere today. But I'll keep everyone posted. Here are some pictures:

IMG00046-20100510-2159.jpg

IMG00044-20100510-1625.jpg

....Seriously though, I'd like to also add that one should never consider the guidance these units provide as anything more than "ADVICE". WE have the brains -- it has an antenna, a receiver, and a chip. Think about that.

a big +1 to that.

I was on a road trip with my group and between the three of us with different GPS units in our vehicles, we all got the same wrong directions and managed to get "lost" in Belle Plaine, Minnesota (don't blink or you'll miss it), and when we were finally informed that we'd arrived at our destination, we were across the highway from the hotel, and it was one of those limited access highways so we had to wind our way back to the next cross-road to get there.

As I've said many times, a computer is a machine that can make one look very stupid at the most awkward time.

The traffic avoidance functionality in these devices is rather useless, too, or at least Navteq one in my Garmin is. About the only thing it's good for is to tell you how much longer your commute is going to take, but don't expect it to actually cut down on the commute time by giving you a better detour.

For example, when you're on a major hwy and it detects traffic, it will re-route you by using secondary/local streets. However, it has no information about traffic on these local streets, so it thinks it'll be faster to take them when in fact most of the time it isn't because they're backed up, too. I don't know, maybe it's just a problem with Chicago, but when there's traffic, there's traffic everywhere, not just on the major hwys. So, if you trust your GPS to re-route you, all you'll end up doing is putting more miles on the car and burning more gas. Don't expect to get to your destination any faster.

I've got a TomTom 1 that I was given for Christmas.

Be careful of TOmTom's requirement to have a new account (fake email addy) for each new unit, or they'll have you paying for the already free maps.

Mine only had a gig of memory, so we couldn't load the US maps onto it.

Work have provided an iPaq PDA thing, which also has TomTom GPS on it.

Used it to successfully navigate SF, and Northern Ca. Only problems were in Monte Rio, when the big trees hampered it, and Reno when the building seemed to upset it.

One thing I found out on our last trip, "if your GPS is older than your hotel, you're not going to find it". I wish I had printed directions from their website. Free map updates is a must if I ever buy a new one again (doubt I will).

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Be careful of TOmTom's requirement to have a new account (fake email addy) for each new unit, or they'll have you paying for the already free maps.

What happens to a TomTom when you get it for Christmas 2009, and you go to use it 1 year and 10 days later ?

First correct answer gets a cookie.

What happens to a TomTom when you get it for Christmas 2009, and you go to use it 1 year and 10 days later ?

First correct answer gets a cookie.

I dunno, it wants you to pay for a year's worth of unused services and/or updates?

I can't see myself ever buying another GPS unit. With the free Google navigation capabilities on current smart-phones, it's completely unnecessary.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
I wouldn't own anything but a Garmin, have had 1 for close to 3 years and just bought a second for my other car about 4 months ago, both are awesome, saving for a zumo for my bike now.

I agree 100% with the Garmin recommendation, I've loved both of mine. If it hadn't been for a scum-bag thief I'd have only needed to own one. I've also had a Magellan, and the most charitable thing I can say about it is that it sucked.

Forgot that bit...yep, they wanted another $50 to update the Oz maps (with little things that other users have told them to a great part).

Even better, it just stopped working. Won't boot. No reset button.

"Hold power button for possibly in excess of 15 seconds after charging for 2 hours" according to the web site.

Can't diagnose a unit that won't even get to an error screen.

Nice. So, I'll take an oatmeal raisin if you don't mind.

BTW, the great thing with the Google nav is that the system learns from what everyone does and gets updated to everyone's benefit. All at the total cost of zero, zilch, nada. If you find something wrong, like an instruction to turn left where it is actually prohibited, you file an issue report and they'll check the info and correct the data on the system. They also check back with status reports and advise you when the correction has been made, along with a very polite "Thank You". What a concept...

It's yet to roll out to a big chunk of the World, though. But when it does, the other guys had better watch out!

P.S.: Here is more info about the Google Maps Navigation for mobile, for those who don't currently have access to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back