XM Antenna and GPS Tracking Questions

As I am disassembling the interior of my 03 Suburban, I found this device behind the a pillar trim.
GPS Tracker.jpg

It was wired into my OBD connector port harness
GPS Tracker Wiring.jpg

From my research, I gather this is a GPS Tracking device, most likely put in when I bought the car from a buy here pay here lot.
My question is, could this be part of the On-Star system for location in the event of an accident? The wiring path looked like it was done after the fact.

2nd part of this, is I am looking into a new radio, but want to have XM, but do not want that magnetic antenna that comes with the XM Receiver. I want to use my factory sharkfin roof antenna.
What I can't figure, is why is there 2 antenna wires? Could this somehow be connected to the On-Star system as well?
Roof Antenna Wires.jpg

They go to a blue 2 port connector behind the dash, that goes to a 2-port connector in the factory satellite receiver and seems to end there. From the receiver is a wiring harness going to the stock radio.
A new XM receiver requires 1 connection for the antenna.
Anyone know why I have 2?
Looking for a workaround here to use an aftermarket XM receiver with my existing antenna...Crutchfield has no solution for this.
Roof Antenna Wires Disconnected.jpg

Last edited:
Just did some more wire tracing. I found a separate harness that goes to a different antenna and then to the OnStar box, along with a mic wire from the overhead console, so On-Star is resolved.
I also recall, I have 2 XM sources on my factory radio, so I imagine my 2 wires are part of a dual antenna.
All I should need to do now, is adapt to one of those Fakra connectors, assuming the new XM receiver will accept my factory antenna signal.

Use this cable to the Yellow Fakra K connector if you want to use your factory SiriusXM antenna with your new receiver

Eightwood for XM Sirius Satellite Radio Antenna Fakra Curry Code K Female to Male Pigtail Extension Cable 1.2m /3.9 feet https://a.co/d/fc3gDzy

To avoid interference with T-Mobile cell towers, I would also suggest adding GM filter part # 84601829
Or, use the aftermarket SiriusXM antenna part # NGVA3, which has better filtering built in
SiriusXM NGVA3 Magnetic Antenna Mount for Your Vehicle, Black https://a.co/d/i7wo9ta

If you're done with any finance obligations with the BHPH lot you bought from, unplug and junk that aftermarket nonsense 🙄

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Sounds like you have done this before.
Would the signal from the factory antenna be sufficient with the filter you recommended?
I assume I still would need the separate XM Receiver SXV300V1, which is an SMP input, I believe.
I really don't want to put another antenna on my roof and bring in another wire, but I listen to satellite a lot when travelling, so performance is more important for me...no leaks around my seals is the most important though.
Funny you mentioned the interference with the towers. I have certain areas that are clear to the sky, but I lose signal...almost all overpasses I lose signal...perhaps towers as you mentioned.

Sounds like you have done this before.
Would the signal from the factory antenna be sufficient with the filter you recommended?
I assume I still would need the separate XM Receiver SXV300V1, which is an SMP input, I believe.
I really don't want to put another antenna on my roof and bring in another wire, but I listen to satellite a lot when travelling, so performance is more important for me...no leaks around my seals is the most important though.
Funny you mentioned the interference with the towers. I have certain areas that are clear to the sky, but I lose signal...almost all overpasses I lose signal...perhaps towers as you mentioned.
I did, I put that same XM receiver in my Camry years back
It would cut out like clockwork everytime I was in close proximity to a T-Mobile cell tower
In the city, that's almost everywhere 🤔
Back in ~2017 or so, customer support put me onto the revised part number
Antenna's have improved quite a bit in 20 years
I usually tuck the thin antenna wire into drip rails and under weatherstripping, never drill a hole if you don't have to

You'll probably need the longer one for a SUV

Worst comes to worst, try it with the factory antenna, you're out ~$10, see if the reception is satisfactory
Maybe add the filter to the factory antenna for the cleanest look?
If not, order up the updated NGVA3
You could dash mount it, see if your reception is satisfactory?
The filter is part of a TSB on newer GM models, but I don't see why it wouldn't fit your older one
There's always a bit of trial and error in aftermarket 12 volt work 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I did, I put that same XM receiver in my Camry years back
It would cut out like clockwork everytime I was in close proximity to a T-Mobile cell tower
In the city, that's almost everywhere 🤔
Back in ~2017 or so, customer support put me onto the revised part number
Antenna's have improved quite a bit in 20 years
I usually tuck the thin antenna wire into drip rails and under weatherstripping, never drill a hole if you don't have to

You'll probably need the longer one for a SUV

Worst comes to worst, try it with the factory antenna, you're out ~$10, see if the reception is satisfactory
Maybe add the filter to the factory antenna for the cleanest look?
If not, order up the updated NGVA3
You could dash mount it, see if your reception is satisfactory?
The filter is part of a TSB on newer GM models, but I don't see why it wouldn't fit your older one
There's always a bit of trial and error in aftermarket 12 volt work 🤷‍♂️

Don’t know if this is helpful but for XM reception in my Mazda I used the antenna from a home kit and mounted it in the center of my rear deck. It gets a good enough view of the sky that I only lose reception near extremely tall obstacles. The wire is routed under the floor mats because nobody ever rides in my back seat, but you could drill a hole and bring it out alongside the foot rail if you wanted.

Back