Head Unit Recommendations For 2003 Suburban

It looks like my factory radio has a problem.
I liked the sound of it when it is working. I have diagnosed that the amp is O.K and that the problem is with the head unit itself. Powers on O.K, but audio only comes on when the vehicle interior gets hot.
There seem to be a lot of options for head unit replacements. I liked the sound of my factory radio and would like something at least as good as that.
What I am looking for:
Good Audio. I am not into heavy bass or extremely loud, just nice warm sound at reasonable volumes, that doesn't sound like it is coming from a tin can.
In the 200.00 price range
Handfree calling
Satellite radio
Keep steering wheel controls
Keep factory satellite antenna if possible to avoid more holes in my roof.
Back up camera hookup. (I can get a backup camera separately)
Decent size display
Something that does not require me to hack up my existing dash supports
Keep factory amp.

Anyone have any recommendations that they are happy with?

Well, there's good news and bad news.

The good news is, there's a bunch of in dash pieces with the features you want.

The bad news is, it isn't like the old days where a simple harness will get it installed. You will need interface adapters, antenna adapters, and potentially amplifier bypass harnesses, depending on the install. Also, possibly a module to connect the steering wheel controls.

You probably need to at least consult with www.crutchfield.com or www.metraonline.com and see what parts and pieces you need for the specific vehicle. You might be surprised how much you're going to have to spend on interface modules to do it right and not hack the truck to pieces.

Just for an idea, this is the kind of thing you're looking at getting into:

1710296071396.jpg

It shouldn't be hard as long as you don't have Bose :D

Crutchfield asks if you have Bose, and if you have Onstar.

They also have a wiring adapter to make the steering wheel controls work.

The Jensen CR271ML has the features you want, plus the higher priced installation kit make it in your $200 budget :)

If your Suburban is supported by iDatalink Maestro Rr, while it is pricey it’s the way to go for the “smart harness” to keep OnStar(that generation doesn’t work anymore, it was analog/2G CDMA that Verizon decommissioned) and Bose happy. GM started using GM-LAN in the 2000s and the door/warning chimes are played over the radio speakers. So you will need to retain OnStar.

Look at a Pioneer or Kenwood deck.

Crutchfield for the win here. 2003 ‘burb won’t be that complex. I installed an alpine in my boss’s and it sounded beautiful, but of the 6 alpines I installed, 3 lost Bluetooth within 3 years. Therefore I’d look to kenwood - installed a low-end kenwood 2din unit in my camper and it also had a great sound to it. I’ve also liked pioneer, but before my alpine, I had a pioneer, and it lost Bluetooth at 2 years old, and it was a higher end model. The kenwood in our camper held up well in a hard environment.

Only concern with the backup-ready radios is you usually lose the knob for volume; volume buttons blow. Hint: you can make your own backup camera with parts off Amazon for well under $50. Choose a camera, choose a 3” LCD screen. Plug camera into screen and power both off the reverse lights. Then get whatever radio you want.

Crutchfield for the win here. 2003 ‘burb won’t be that complex. I installed an alpine in my boss’s and it sounded beautiful, but of the 6 alpines I installed, 3 lost Bluetooth within 3 years. Therefore I’d look to kenwood - installed a low-end kenwood 2din unit in my camper and it also had a great sound to it. I’ve also liked pioneer, but before my alpine, I had a pioneer, and it lost Bluetooth at 2 years old, and it was a higher end model. The kenwood in our camper held up well in a hard environment.

Only concern with the backup-ready radios is you usually lose the knob for volume; volume buttons blow. Hint: you can make your own backup camera with parts off Amazon for well under $50. Choose a camera, choose a 3” LCD screen. Plug camera into screen and power both off the reverse lights. Then get whatever radio you want.
I agree on the volume buttons. I have steering wheel controls, which I love and use all the time, so I don't think that would be much of an issue for me.

You're lucky, I think 03+ had a double din instead of the 1.5. 00-02 has.

I used to mess around with those era Bose head units, I bet your issue is some .50 cent failing capacitor that DigiKey sells.

I would check out Crutchfield and see the options, get something backup cam capable.

This is a business in Syracuse NY, that I've used in the past to fix a stock head unit for a car, they also do instrument panel repairs.

The cheap Jensen radio is backup ready and has a volume button :)

810i2Gpc4SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If your Suburban is supported by iDatalink Maestro Rr, while it is pricey it’s the way to go for the “smart harness” to keep OnStar(that generation doesn’t work anymore, it was analog/2G CDMA that Verizon decommissioned) and Bose happy. GM started using GM-LAN in the 2000s and the door/warning chimes are played over the radio speakers. So you will need to retain OnStar.

Look at a Pioneer or Kenwood deck.
I don't mind spending more $$$ for a good harness.
Can you dumb this down for me a little? I don't know if it is supported by idatalink maestro. I get the 2G CDMA thing. I went through that with my Note 9 phone. Are you suggesting that if I try to retain on-star, it will be a waste of time and money? or is it necessary to keep the on-star to keep the chimes?
This is the wiring harness Crutchfield is recommending to retain Onstar. They said this box retains my factory chimes? I would like to keep the factory chimes if possible.
249SOOGM15/CRUX-SOOGM-15-GM
More importantly, I want to be able to have a work around for the parking brake thing. I never use the parking brake in Florida and never will unless servicing my vehicle in conjunction with chocks.

I will be getting this head unit.
JVC-KWM788B

I asked about this wiring harness that ctechbob posted earlier. Crutchfield says it just makes it a little easier for wiring and the big box was to retain chimes. Also said it retains RSE and factory bluetooth. I don't use RSE and don't think I had factory bluetooth.
PAC-RP5-GM11

Last edited:
Back