Car GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't own anything but a Garmin, have had 1 for close to 3 years and just bought a second for my other car about 4 months ago, both are awesome, saving for a zumo for my bike now.

...getta-getta-getta garmin..

lol, that Christmas commercial tune is a permanent bug in my ear!

They make a very good product. I've got an older Nuvi 680 and love it.

It looks like the 265t comes with the free FM traffic and antenna which is nice. From what I understand, the other traffic service(MSN) is going to be discontinued at the end of '12 so you'd be ahead of that curve.

The only thing I'd recommend looking for that the 265t doesn't have is lane assist. My 680 doesn't have it either, but an old POS Navigon I used to have did and it really helped when driving through interchanges I wasn't familiar with.

We have a basic wide screen 205w. It doesnt actually read the street name, but it was cheap at the time.

My only recommendation is to go wide screen versus the little square ones. it makes a big difference.

Lane assist only works in certain areas, mainly places like LA and New York, where I live in Columbus, OH they havn't updated the maps to have lane assist work with the freeways here. Also that free traffic service isn't really all that helpful, I've had it go off twice and then only on the freeway, so its more of a gimmick at the moment.

Like you said though, great product despite the minor flaws, many other GPS units are even more flawed still. I like Garmins interface and how I can plug my garmin into the aux on my radio and play MP3s off of the garmin SD card. I have both Nuvis 750 and the 765T.

The other thing Ive noticed with the traffic ones is that they stream advertisements and locations of businesses that I don't necessarily care about to the GPS!

Bought a Garmin 260w a few weeks back; worked flawlessly on a trip to/from/around Detroit. No traffic or mp3 capabilities, but does have spoken street names. On sale right now at amazon for $99.

Originally Posted By: Scotty1981
Lane assist only works in certain areas, mainly places like LA and New York, where I live in Columbus, OH they havn't updated the maps to have lane assist work with the freeways here. Also that free traffic service isn't really all that helpful, I've had it go off twice and then only on the freeway, so its more of a gimmick at the moment.

Lane assist tells you what lane to get into when you're going through an interchange. Ever gotten into the Right lane figuring that's where you'd be exiting Right only to see a sign 1/4 mile out telling you you need to exit Left? This scenerio is where this helps. It doesn't consider traffic while doing this, so assuming you have an up to date map of the interchange you're going through it will tell you what lane to be in to get where you want to go. It's saved my butt driving through Chicago several times, but has also helped in other less-congested areas that I wasn't familiar with. Until all exits are right-hand(never) this is an extremely useful feature. I won't buy another nav w/o it.

Traffic is hit-and-miss. I have MSNdirect currently, and I agree it isn't all that useful outside big cities. In fact with MSN if you're outside a big city you don't even get reception for updates(there's a coverage map at their website). It has come in handy a number of times, though. I'd like to know how the FM service is.

Personal experience told me that Magellan Maestro is not that reliable because it was running on Windows CE, and have some timing problem with any map update I put into the SD card.

The older TomTom had older TeleAltas US map, but supposely easy to use. The newer one supposedly fixed it with newer TeleAltas map that is good enough to match the NavTeq.

Either way, Garmin is a safe choice, like a reliable Crown Vic that last a long time.

My wife has a Garmin 760 and loves it. 2 features that are somewhat lacking: battery life (we were planning on using it to help locate the car when we parked in a big lot, but the battery life is too short to be practical). Also, the handsfree mic needs improvement as it is difficult for the cell user to understand the people in the car.

But as a navigation device is works extremely well and very easy to use.

I guess I don't get the big deal about lane guidance. In most cases the signage telling you the exit is coming up will also tell you if it's left or right exit, even if it doesn't say left exit or right exit.

How?

If it's a left exit, the exit number will be at the top of the sign on the LHS.

Otherwise, the exit number will be at the top on the RHS.

So if you know to look at the EXIT N sign at the top and check it's orientation, that will tell you which side of the highway is the exit.

Check it out.

There may be exceptions. But in most cases, if it says Exit 27 on the RHS, it's a Right Hand exit. If it says Exit 27 on the LHS of the sign, it's a left hand exit.

No need for some fancy GPS, just read the signs.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I guess I don't get the big deal about lane guidance. In most cases the signage telling you the exit is coming up will also tell you if it's left or right exit, even if it doesn't say left exit or right exit.

How?

If it's a left exit, the exit number will be at the top of the sign on the LHS.

Otherwise, the exit number will be at the top on the RHS.

So if you know to look at the EXIT N sign at the top and check it's orientation, that will tell you which side of the highway is the exit.

Check it out.

There may be exceptions. But in most cases, if it says Exit 27 on the RHS, it's a Right Hand exit. If it says Exit 27 on the LHS of the sign, it's a left hand exit.

No need for some fancy GPS, just read the signs.

Hmmm.. this might be true in some instances. I know I've seen the arrangement of the overhead signs mean different things in different circumstances.

I'm just of the opinion that it's easier to glance at the GPS to see what lane to be in. Partcularly in bigger cities when you're not too familiar exactly where you're going while at the same time dealing w/ congestion, 5 lanes of traffic, toll booths, merging vehicles, etc.

Seeing as you're from IL, I'll give an example that always gets me. Driving S on 294 near O'Hare. I may only go through this area 2-3 times a year, usually different destinations. Sometimes I'm going to ORD, sometimes driving through to IN, other times need to catch I-? to downtown. The area's a mess with multiple interchanges spaced closely together. Fifty brazillion signs everywhere. I've missed exits from being stuck in the wrong lane there and since the whole [censored] thing is constantly under construction you can never just turn back around.

It's worth it to me, and I don't even think the models that have it cost much more. So why not?

That's why I live in IL, not Chicago.

They are not the same
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The other thing Ive noticed with the traffic ones is that they stream advertisements and locations of businesses that I don't necessarily care about to the GPS!

That's the price you pay for having the free traffic subscription. Thankfully, these ads only show up when the vehicle is stationary. I don't really find them intrusive.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
Traffic is hit-and-miss. I have MSNdirect currently, and I agree it isn't all that useful outside big cities. In fact with MSN if you're outside a big city you don't even get reception for updates(there's a coverage map at their website). It has come in handy a number of times, though. I'd like to know how the FM service is.

I think FM traffic for Garmin is provided by Navteq. They also only cover major metropolitan areas, which is kind of expected - that's where majority of traffic congestion occurs. It works rather well on my 755t.

http://www.navteq.com/rdstraffic/

You mean there are actually lands outside of Chicago that they refer to as IL? J/K

You have been to Chicago, though, I would assume. And you could possibly envision scenarios where the lane assist would come in handy?

This seems like a good deal:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11481129&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79|4843&N=4040228&Mo=10&No=3&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4843&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Except, I believe the 765t has been discontinued and many customers are experiencing software issues.

Also, Garmin just launched the 3700 series and those are just stunning in terms of appearance. They also switched to a glass screen on the 3700 series. Those are retailing for over $300, and they probably won't drop to $200 or less for at least another year. But a 3700 series compared to a 2X5 series is like comparing carbeurated to fuel-injected.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That's the price you pay for having the free traffic subscription. Thankfully, these ads only show up when the vehicle is stationary. I don't really find them intrusive.

The friends' garmin that showed ads provided them as we were driving. I recall specifically it telling us that there were Olive Garden restaurants nearby as we were driving, and then putting up some coupon type deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back