Car GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
The GF and I bought a Garmin 1490T 5in widescreen at Costco for under $250 at Xmas and just love it. It is so easy to read and the voice directions and lane assist work perfectly. Although I think a 4.3in equivalent would have been adequate. Not that blind yet.

We picked up a refurbished Tomtom One last year for under $100 only for use when traveling in a rental car, and it has been excellent. You can now get brand new Tomtom One XL models for the same price at Costco, which is an amazing deal.

We both have in-dash GPS units in our primary cars and enjoy them - the ETA feature is excellent and having an auto-tracking map at all times is very, very handy.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
You mean there are actually lands outside of Chicago that they refer to as IL? J/K

You have been to Chicago, though, I would assume. And you could possibly envision scenarios where the lane assist would come in handy?

Oh, I've been a few times, maybe once a year to see my wife's grandmother, take in some of the museums. But she lives in Geneva, so we just take the train from Geneva to the city.

I've taken classes in Itasca as well, but that's pretty easy to reach.

I don't find Chicago that difficult. But then again, from 1994 until 2000, I traveled all over the US with my job and drove in a dozen or more cities in a given year. I'm not too fazed by travel in a strange city. If I miss an exit, I can usually head up to the next one and come back, knowing what to look for.

But usually, the signs indicate either with arrows or with the placement of the numbers where I'd find the exit, LHS or RHS.

With the current construction going on in and around Chicago, roads (and signs) are a mess. A local will figure it out, but I feel sorry for visitors who decide to drive here.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Except, I believe the 765t has been discontinued and many customers are experiencing software issues.

Aww, that sucks. I was seriously considering picking up a 765t and letting the wifey take the 680. Looking at the features the 765t is the succesor to the 680.

I utilize all the features. Bluetooth for cell phone connectivity, traffic, POI's, MP3, FM modulator. I even keep a handful of pics of my daughter on it to show people as I carry a $ clip rather than a larger wallet. Love my nav.

I think I may be wrong, as I now see the 765t back on the website. But people are still experiencing some software issues with the 7X5 series, and I am not sure if they have been completely resolved.

I might just go with a refurbished 1490t for $199 from Amazon.

But people are still experiencing some software issues with the 7X5 series,

What issues are these? I've had my 755t for about 2 years now, and have yet to experience any. The only sucky thing about this device is poor touch screen detection. For example, you press one letter on the keyboard and a totally different letter shows up - sometimes it's not even the adjacent character on the keyboard. It happens a lot.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But people are still experiencing some software issues with the 7X5 series,

What issues are these? I've had my 755t for about 2 years now, and have yet to experience any. The only sucky thing about this device is poor touch screen detection. For example, you press one letter on the keyboard and a totally different letter shows up - sometimes it's not even the adjacent character on the keyboard. It happens a lot.

That's one of the main issues. Another common issue seems to be constant reboots and freezes, but those issues seem to be limited to a particular version of the firmware. However, it isn't clear if the issue has since been resolved.

Had a Magellan 1412.. POS.

Have a Garmin 255W now, Good.

The GPS is only as good as the map loaded on it... Sometimes I find the maps are not accurate, but it was the same deal on my 1412. The big difference being the 255W actually works, whereas the 1412 spent most of its time crashed and rebooting. Terrible.

I bought a 265w/t for the wife's upcoming birthday. I think she'll like it. Ease of use is critical.

I'm sure it will serve you well. If it's your first nav, my advice to you would be to play with it for a while. Go through all the menus, and sub-menus so you get accustomed to all its features and functions and how to get to them.

Take it w/ you for a week or so and use it even on the most routine of trips. You'll find that after doing that it'll be much easier/ less frustrating to use when the time comes that you really need it.

One feature I didn't expect I'd use much but now love is the restaurant(POI) listings. Check it out.

Also look into seeing if you're entitled to a map update. My 680 was a refurb and it did come w/ 1 free one. That also updates the preloaded POI's, nice! If/ when you update maps give yourself plenty of time for the file to download as it's huge.

Did some research tonight and discovered that the new for 2010 TomTom XXL-540TM is a far better deal.

Why? It is new, comes with free lifetime map updates, lifetime traffic with clear channel (superior to NavTeq) and has the IQ feature.

Best of all? Same price-- $199.99 shipped. And since it is new, it actually qualifies for the $20 three-year extended warranty from squaretrade.

Since the Nuvi 1490t hasn't shipped, I canceled it without penalty. The friction mount on the other hand, is already en route, so I'm going to have to either sell it or see if I can do a return to sender.

Buy the biggest screen possible that fits reasonably into your car. Otherwise they don't show much information if you are using simply as a mapping tool.

Navi units are convenient, and I'm strongly considering one for my move to San Diego. On the other hand, I'm old school. All roads lead to somewhere. A good internal compass always helps. I can point North wherever I'm at.

200 bones is a lot to spend on something I would only use infrequently. Would rather put that money towards a nice new La-Z-Boy recliner!

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech

200 bones is a lot to spend on something I would only use infrequently. Would rather put that money towards a nice new La-Z-Boy recliner!

I concur. I got my TomTom albeit smaller screen free with the purchase of 4 Continental Tires. I don't think I would ever buy one otherwise. Only once in a blazing snow storm(6"+ on roads) I needed one in backwoods of VT going to a ski mountain. Do they work well in heavy weather conditions?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
That's why I live in IL, not Chicago.

They are not the same
grin2.gif

They are not?????

Quote:
Only once in a blazing snow storm(6"+ on roads) I needed one in backwoods of VT going to a ski mountain. Do they work well in heavy weather conditions?

Works quite well. During low visibility situations it can be used to give you a heads up to upcoming cross streets and be extra vigilant for people who are just barrelling along with no regard to where their stop sign might actually be.

I've experienced two versions. First, the built-in system in our 04 Prius. Pretty good, but the maps date back six years now, and I'm not about to pay the several hundred bucks for the update disc. I do really like the "cleanliness" of the in-dash installation as compared to the various add-on units.

In the Camry, I have a Magellan, narrow-screen unit. Screen is too small, but, and here's the kicker -- it was a FREE AMEX bonus points program. One can put up with a few shortcomings when the thing is free.

With that in mind, a couple thoughts. Even a lower end unit can be very, very useful and provide what is really needed -- guidance to a destination.

And how 'bout this for perspective: during the early years of my USMC career, I was one of the last aircrew to train on the "ICAP-I" version of the EA-6B aircraft. This jet, while tremendously capable in the electronic warfare context, had an absurdly horrible navigation system. It had a multi-beam doppler radar that was supposed to keep track of the jet's position over the ground. No GPS back then (mid-late 80s), and no INS either. Ironically, this awful system made us all better at navigation, because none of us could rely upon the nav system to do it for us (as intended...). After a typical 2.5 hr flight, without constant manual updating, your system could be dozens, occasionally hundreds, of miles off. . . A challenge to say the least.

OK, so what? What amazes me is that even the rudimentary add-on in-car systems that can be had for $100, give or take, are vastly superior to what we had our $70 million Prowlers in the mid-80s. Of course, today, the surviving jets now have both INS and GPS, and are vastly superior to what we had. But still, I smile when I read comparisons of in-car nav units, as I think back to a time when it was my job to get jamming and/or ordnance on-target, on-time, with tools that make a modern $100 in-car nav look good.

Perspective is a good thing. Do some homework, pick the one you want, enjoy it, and don't look back!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back