Car and Driver: Hyundai Sonata Mid-Size Sedan Reportedly on the Chopping Block.

I drive a truck and a sedan. if I could only keep one, it would at the moment have to be the truck. But the sedan gets slightly more than half of my seat time. it feels like a luxury to own the sedan, because for way less than truck money, it has all the creature comforts and is simply easier in normal traffic to zip in and out. But, it simply can’t do all the things we use the truck for. So, the sedan is a luxury, because I can afford to have both.

it seems strange to think this way. Will sedans come back as a status symbol for those who can manage to live life without a truck?

I drive a truck and a sedan. if I could only keep one, it would at the moment have to be the truck. But the sedan gets slightly more than half of my seat time. it feels like a luxury to own the sedan, because for way less than truck money, it has all the creature comforts and is simply easier in normal traffic to zip in and out. But, it simply can’t do all the things we use the truck for. So, the sedan is a luxury, because I can afford to have both.

it seems strange to think this way. Will sedans come back as a status symbol for those who can manage to live life without a truck?
Well I've kind of wondered why people bought the huge 2 door land yachts of the late 60's, and 70's? I guess each generation of people get conditioned by marketing or something to buy what's cool, or a status symbol?
Also why the hate for family wagons? Did kids of the 50's, 60's, 70's hate going on family trips or something?

I can see why people buy pickups, if you've got the money for gas, and need to tow once in a while, or want a safe vehicle, they can seat 6 and do lots of stuff. A midsize wagon, with a trailer hitch can do everything a pickup can but tow over 5k lbs...

I got a ride tonight in a new RAM quad cab long horn and it was fine, it had the 5.7 and the 8 spd, but was pretty silent in normal driving. Still has the rear axle shudder, but whatever, its not that annoying on most roads. The way my buddy drives it, it always feels like its in the wrong gear as he's on and off the throttle quite a bit, so it upshifts to top gear when he lets off, then mushes through a downshift of two when he gets back on the gas... Makes it feel underpowered from the passenger seat. Then I got back into my ancient Focus wagon and it was like some sort of race car! Low and agile, and you can hear the engine, feel the road, shift some gears, carve a few turns. Of course the Ram is much quicker if you raced the two, but my car feels more responsive.

City driving isn’t too bad but last time I took a Rav4/Tacoma down I-81 in PA I wish I had a sedan. Taking those curves at 70mph feels like I’m one wrong move away from a roll over. I can usually take off ramps at a higher speed in a sedan anyways.
I dunno - last time I was up in Gold Country of CA, my Prius was more nervous than someone who drank a pot of coffee. I took the parent’s RX up there, it felt solid but I also realize it’s a tall SUV.

Will sedans come back as a status symbol for those who can manage to live life without a truck?
Anything is possible in this country, but I believe in most other countries no one really seeks out pickups like we do. I would hazard the other way around, that trucks become the status symbol. Just more of one, that is.

I will. They are all over and aren’t going anywhere. They will make them all electric.
So I get the deed to your most valuable possession if the Camry or Accord go extinct in sedan form. :cool: Camry Cross doesn't count. It's next to be "Crossed"

So I get the deed to your most valuable possession if the Camry or Accord go extinct in sedan form. :cool: Camry Cross doesn't count. It's next to be "Crossed"
The 11th gen accord is coming in 2023. That and the Camry are the 2 hottest selling sedans. I can assure you they will stay. Also SUV’s are a hype. They do not have more room than a sedan and burn may more fuel. History repeats itself, and sedans will be back. It will be like the old days where V8 powered large cars were replaced by smaller Honda and Toyotas. The SUV will go away.

Back