Car and Driver: Hyundai Sonata Mid-Size Sedan Reportedly on the Chopping Block.

They don't make a lot of sense for Hyundai when you have to install multiple engines under warranty in every one you sell. :unsure:

Sedans are not dead but they have certainly cooled off. Still a lot of buyers who appreciate the functionality and value, and enough have bailed there's still some money to be made for those who continue to make competitive offerings.

I hope this part is true. Though I hope they redesign it soon, the current generation Sonata (and Elantra) does absolutely nothing for me.

Hyundai spokesperson told C/D, "Sonata remains and will continue to be an important part of Hyundai’s product lineup. Any rumors on its future are pure speculation."

Not a fan of SUVs unless you need to tow or something. Especially compact SUVs. Like sure give me a corolla and put it on stilts. 🙄 Numb handling galore. Given CAFE its kind of a surprise, I guess they go where the money goes.

Last edited:
I'm one of the last holdouts on my block with sedans, other than my elderly neighbour across the street who drives an Impala, and the kid a few doors down with an older Jetta. The rest are mostly CUV's and pickups, and a few SUV's.
I have a utility trailer in place of a pickup bed. SUV's are too thirsty for my taste. I haven't driven a CUV that I preferred over a sedan yet (for similar purchase price), except for CUV ingress/egress which is easier.

Last edited:
I wonder if the same will happen to the Honda Accord as its sales have plummeted since the 2018 redesign and Covid-19 didn't help either.
The Accord is [arguably] the best mainstream midsize family sedans and the sales are not good.

SUVs/CUVs just goes to show you that not everyone is interested in handling even though they handle well enough.
These vehicles have a good combo of what people are looking for in the everyday-ness.

Last edited:
I wonder if the same will happen to the Honda Accord as its sales have plummeted since the 2018 redesign and Covid-19 didn't help either.
The Accord is [arguably] the best mainstream midsize family sedans and the sales are not good.

SUVs/CUVs just goes to show you that not everyone is interested in handling even though they handle well enough.
These vehicles have a good combo of what people are looking for in the everyday-ness.
I have both a sedan, 2018 Accord hybrid, and a small SUV, 2011 Kia Sportage. They both serve a purpose in my lifestyle.

These days, I do find that I am driving the Accord more often. You can't beat the 48-50 mpg,

Now that Toyota has axed the Avalon, I wonder too what Nissan will do with the Maxima? I've often wondered its existence with such low sales numbers after the 1990s. I always felt that Nissan should have axed the Maxima and given that money to the Altima, which is a much better seller that needs to be a better car. Two similar sized cars marketed to different customers.

Last edited:
The automakers have a LONG history of reducing or eliminating smaller more fuel efficient cars just in time to get blindsided by the next energy crisis, history repeats itself once again.
True, yet I suspect hybrid and EV technology has reduced much of that risk.

Back