Car and Driver: Hyundai Sonata Mid-Size Sedan Reportedly on the Chopping Block.

Most people are non-drivers, so this makes sense. They don’t know or care which wheels drive the car, or what “body roll” is. They don’t know how to calculate gas mileage without a trip computer to tell them. They can’t drive a manual transmission.
They don’t know where the oil goes.
Auto enthusiasts should be glad that there are any performance cars at all.
I watch the lemmings in their crossovers or SUVs, and just shake my head.
I can-and can't fathom why anyone would own a vehicle with a manual transmission, especially a "daily driver". A weekend "fun car" I can understand.

I actually put 289,000 miles on a manual trans Dodge Stratus coupe. Mitsubishi engine, 3.0 V6. Sales job 40K a year.
You get used to it, even in Boston traffic jams. I just like driving a manual.

Most on BITOG are probably more in tune with their vehicles than the general public, I would think.

Completely depends on where you live. I often miss having a manual as a daily.
I bought my 2019 Kia Soul because it was a manual transmission. If I lived in the city or drove in a lot of traffic I probably would have got an automatic instead because the only time I regret it is when I drive in stop and go, thankfully that’s very rare for me.

We just had a big rain squall blow through here right at the start of rush hour. Interstate 5 is solid red for 60-70 miles. Who wants to shift in that?

Reactions: CKN
We just had a big rain squall blow through here right at the start of rush hour. Interstate 5 is solid red for 60-70 miles. Who wants to shift in that?
Yep. But you know a manual transmission is a "sacred cow" on here. Along with Crown Vics, and the like.

I wonder if the same will happen to the Honda Accord as its sales have plummeted since the 2018 redesign and Covid-19 didn't help either.
The Accord is [arguably] the best mainstream midsize family sedans and the sales are not good.

SUVs/CUVs just goes to show you that not everyone is interested in handling even though they handle well enough.
These vehicles have a good combo of what people are looking for in the everyday-ness.
While the current CUV craze is part of it....I would think that the drop in Accord sales has just as much to do with replacing the durable 2.4 engine with the 1.5T. I would have bought the former but not the latter.
Also, for the average guy/gal who commutes a sedan is fine and more economical to boot.

They are just getting ready to roll out mid size wagons instead!

New cars are in a sad state these days. Remember when you could haggle your way into a new accord stick shift for $20k? I member. An ultra durable car that was within reach. Now everything costs a ton, has a smaller turbo engine and CVT is what your stuck with. When you have to pay so much for that, adding another 25% for a much more substantial SUV seems like a bargain.

They are just getting ready to roll out mid size wagons instead!

New cars are in a sad state these days. Remember when you could haggle your way into a new accord stick shift for $20k? I member. An ultra durable car that was within reach. Now everything costs a ton, has a smaller turbo engine and CVT is what your stuck with. When you have to pay so much for that, adding another 25% for a much more substantial SUV seems like a bargain.
As I stated in a previous thread...we are going to see more small displacement motors with turbos until (gasp!) electrification. How many companies are putting R&D in to any new ICE BIG motors..not many. A few are coming out with new V6 motors then that will be it.

We just had a big rain squall blow through here right at the start of rush hour. Interstate 5 is solid red for 60-70 miles. Who wants to shift in that
I can-and can't fathom why anyone would own a vehicle with a manual transmission, especially a "daily driver". A weekend "fun car" I can understand.
It kind of makes any car, a "fun car", provided its a reasonably good manual transmission and engine. I like hustling my Focus around town or on a windy road, do a few heel and toe, rev match downshifts, lift the throttle to tighten the line a bit on corner entry and then power out, all with the certainty the car isn't going to decide its time to shift for me.... Also usually a manual is more reliable than an auto. And if stupid CAFE regs hadn't been made that force top gear to be artificially short, a manual would get atleast the same mileage as an automatic.
Even in some stop and go traffic, I find I don't need to shift all that much or actually stop much either.... usually I can creep in 1st or 2nd gear for 95% of the time.

We just had a big rain squall blow through here right at the start of rush hour. Interstate 5 is solid red for 60-70 miles. Who wants to shift in that

It kind of makes any car, a "fun car", provided its a reasonably good manual transmission and engine. I like hustling my Focus around town or on a windy road, do a few heel and toe, rev match downshifts, lift the throttle to tighten the line a bit on corner entry and then power out, all with the certainty the car isn't going to decide its time to shift for me.... Also usually a manual is more reliable than an auto. And if stupid CAFE regs hadn't been made that force top gear to be artificially short, a manual would get atleast the same mileage as an automatic.
Even in some stop and go traffic, I find I don't need to shift all that much or actually stop much either.... usually I can creep in 1st or 2nd gear for 95% of the time.
I think the argument that manuals are more reliable than automatics is about 40 years too late. Simply not the case.-IMHO.

The consumer has the ultimate say on what is offered by car manufacturers.

In Canada, 80% + of new vehicle sales are trucks, SUVs or CUVs.
Advantages of these are higher driving position, AWD capability. We have quite a bit of snow in this country. It's a real thing trying to see over snow banks when entering a busy road. As well the AWD makes entering a busy road way safer in snowy conditions.
Most trucks I see in my job at a busy Ram store have been used as trucks, not many garage queen's here.

Not that people driving sedans corner any better than people in SUV’s… gotta come to an almost complete stop to make that turn 🙄

Heck, I could hustle my '99 Grand Marquis through the local collection of roundabouts faster than some folks in allegedly high performance sedans and other sports cars. (Looking at you the mid-life crisis Corvette driver stopping in the middle of the round about before you exit.)

Yep. But you know a manual transmission is a "sacred cow" on here. Along with Crown Vics, and the like.

I did think about converting my 99 Grand Marquis to a manual...

But seriously. While I love my shift it myself Mazda3, I do recognize that finding a daily driver with an honest three pedals is going to be tough next go around.

But I do think it makes one more in tune with their car and driving experience. The problem is, few want that. They want to be in tune with the infotainment system.

That's... what they are?
I don’t see any of my vehicles as appliances. I know what you are saying and you are right, but I have an emotional connection to my cars and motorcycles that I do not have with my refrigerator.
example- I respect that my washing machine has been reliable, and I like that I have been able to fix the few things that have gone wrong, but I never go into the washroom to stare at my washing machine. I have been know to spend time in my garage just looking at my vehicles.
A manual transmission and some semblance of capability enhance this illogical connection I feel to these inanimate objects.

My opinion is that companies are outputting (mostly) boring lookalike vehicles because folks like me are in the minority.
most want the vehicle to be reliable and serve their transportation needs, not more, no less.

Heck, I could hustle my '99 Grand Marquis through the local collection of roundabouts faster than some folks in allegedly high performance sedans and other sports cars. (Looking at you the mid-life crisis Corvette driver stopping in the middle of the round about before you exit.)
The Grand Marquis is more akin to a river barge wallowing in still water.😂😂😂

Reactions: CKN
I think the argument that manuals are more reliable than automatics is about 40 years too late. Simply not the case.-IMHO.
There’s certainly an argument to be made that they are less complex. That usually translates into greater reliability, but even if not it does translate into lower repair costs.

My daily driver has always been a manual since 1981, but I think my 2016 Mazda 6 will be my last. By the time I’m in the market for a new sedan there may be no sedans left, and certainly none with a manual.

There’s certainly an argument to be made that they are less complex. That usually translates into greater reliability, but even if not it does translate into lower repair costs.

My daily driver has always been a manual since 1981, but I think my 2016 Mazda 6 will be my last. By the time I’m in the market for a new sedan there may be no sedans left, and certainly none with a manual.
Yes-there are some auto transmissions that are less than stellar right out of the factory. But generally very reliable. I would agree they cost less to repair-but for the average owner who doesn't keep vehicles to end of life, it isn't a factor. An automatic will last 150,000 miles or so.

Back