Car and Driver: Hyundai Sonata Mid-Size Sedan Reportedly on the Chopping Block.

Now that Toyota has axed the Avalon, I wonder too what Nissan will do with the Maxima?
In another thread, it was mentioned the Maxima is going away too.

FWIW, I'm on record as suggesting VW and Mazda are likely to axe a few models too in the next few years.

Sedans are dead.

Hyundai: Designs and builds car with hideous front grill.
Also Hyundai: Why isn't anyone buying our cars???

Joking aside, I see plenty of these new, ugly, Sonatas driving around here.

Crossovers have much better flexibility and utility over sedans. Fuel economy is improving and hybrids are changing that for the better.

FWIW, I'm on record as suggesting VW and Mazda are likely to axe a few models too in the next few years.

Sedans are dead.
The Maxima, as we now know it, is going away. It is going to become a battery EV.
The Passat and Mazda 6 are history.

The wife has a 2019 Honda Passport Elite and uses it to haul potting soil and mulch. I like driving in comfort and style. I have a 2020 Infinity Q60 AWD with approximately 420hp. Driving numb 🚙 Is a real bore.

Sedans are not "dead". The market is just shrinking. When you got players like Toyota Camry on the low end, and BMW on the high end, that middle ground is a tough place to be.

Your namesake says otherwise.
No, it doesn't. I also own a 2021 Nissan Altima. I added it to my signature to sooth your stupidity. They can't keep them on the lot in my town...they arrive, they get sold. So, by your logic because I drive a truck and own a sedan, sedans are dead? Whatever. 🙄

Not a fan of SUVs unless you need to tow or something. Especially compact SUVs. Like sure give me a corolla and put it on stilts. 🙄 Numb handling galore. Given CAFE its kind of a surprise, I guess they go where the money goes.
I think you meant to say tall hatchback when you said compact SUV. The current crop of crossovers and small SUV's are nothing more than tall station wagons and 4 door hatchbacks.

The Sonata nameplate will just be replaced with and equally ugly EV that is plagued with battery fires instead of engine fires. Nothing to see here.

Okay, perhaps sedans aren't "dead" but they are a dying breed. We've seen the large sedan market vanish - the only large sedans left are Charger and 300. We're watching the midsize market vanish now...even Camry and Accord sales are down the last few years. Compact sedans may stick around longer as low cost options for first time car buyers and people without a lot of money to spend, but even they are having a tough fight against compact crossovers.

The Ionic 6 is a sedan. Sedans aren't leaving, just the ICE. Wish they'd kept the Sonata name. I'm getting a bit tired of alphanumeric codes rather than proper naming conventions (and when all vehicles start with Ionic that's the same thing).

Not all sedans are dying. Just the lackluster ones. I'd rather spend a bit more to own a Camry instead. And many other share the same sentiment which explains why i see tons of new Camry's everywhere but hardly any sonatas. I've seen like 2.

the sonata N line is hyundai coolest car. 0-60 in 5 seconds, quarter mile in 13,6 and 0,93g on the skidpad. put some michelin. pilot super sport on it and watch it fly. there is nothing like it for so little money. and you can have one at very low price since almost no one buys them. it is the total sleeper.

The Maxima, as we now know it, is going away. It is going to become a battery EV.
The Passat and Mazda 6 are history.
Supposedly the next gen Mazda6(& the CX-5) are going to be RWD. Whether Mazda brings them to our shores is something that IDK but, that's the word. Or are they going to still keep the same names.

Sedans are dead.
I like the Maxima, always have. I just haven't seen the need for it with its low sales numbers. Without doing a search, I don't believe the Max's sales numbers have ever exceeded ~60,000 units/year and declining. When in fact, the Altima (in its earlier years) were nearing, but not quite, ~270,000/yr sales units. Even on its lower sales units/yr, the Altima outsold all of Mazda in the US, in which many individual car models did as well.

Back