Cannot Use OIL EXTRACTOR on Vehicles w/ Auto Start/Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by henni
Originally Posted by PimTac
Just more morphidite engineering from Ford. Take a simple concept like a dipstick and make it convoluted.

morphidite. 1. a word to describe a hermaphrodite (an organism having both male and female genitalia characteristics which are simultaneously present; typically not fully developed, and vestigial in appearance).

The word was also used many moons ago to describe something that was not easy to describe or defied all logic.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Plastic oil pan, with plastic drain plug. Bet that's going to hold up well at the Iffy Lube!

No different than the magnesium pans on early Honda Insights.

Can't wait to hear more about why a check valve could possibly be necessary in a dipstick tube. One more thing to fail, necessitating a 3-week-long stay at the dealership while waiting on back-ordered dipstick tubes, because they car won't start without a functioning check valve.

Someone please find an end to this needless complication.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Plastic oil pan, with plastic drain plug. Bet that's going to hold up well at the Iffy Lube!

No different than the magnesium pans on early Honda Insights.

No but as he mentioned the drain is different.

I started using the mityvac on my Mercedes when I found out that the stealers used this method. It doesn't leave much in there.

There are no check valves or anything funky with the dipstick on the 1.5 L in your wife's Terrain. There should be no obstructions to using your extractor.

As for the owner's manual: waiting 15 minutes is just standard GM process for checking oil. The owner's manual in my wife's 2019 Equinox, which has start/stop, is exactly word-for-word the same as my 2016 Colorado, which does not have start/stop. I just pulled up the owner's manual for a 2018 Camaro, which doesn't have start/stop, and the wording is also exactly the same.

I just used my Mityvac to do an oil change on my Mercedes E350 with start/stop this weekend. No problem getting all the oil out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
There are no check valves or anything funky with the dipstick on the 1.5 L in your wife's Terrain. There should be no obstructions to using your extractor.

As for the owner's manual: waiting 15 minutes is just standard GM process for checking oil. The owner's manual in my wife's 2019 Equinox, which has start/stop, is exactly word-for-word the same as my 2016 Colorado, which does not have start/stop. I just pulled up the owner's manual for a 2018 Camaro, which doesn't have start/stop, and the wording is also exactly the same.

Are you making an assumption based on similar wording in a manual or have you examined parts diagrams for the 1.5 liter GDI turbo engine used in the 2018 - 2020 Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain?

Ford 2.7 here. yes, gotta wait for it before trying the dipstick. I don't think the OC really isn't that bad. THERE IS a fumoto-like product for the 2.7 now. It's a little pricey, but it allows a clean, hose-type connection.

Ford's start-stop has a lot going on behind the scenes - the re-start is fast, it knows which cylinder to fire without getting #1 over TDC, an electronic pump primes the transmission for immediate engagement - just to name a few. If there's a check valve in there, it's because somewhere during product testing, it was needed.

The check valve sounds like something needed for the PCV system to work and not aspirate air it seems. Ford did build the 2.7EB like a diesel engine too.

I have an oil extractor and it does work great on most things I've tried it on. The exception being newer Subarus since the dipstick tube hits a baffle or ridge - I was only able to get 3 quarts out of a FB25. It also doesn't work on VW Vanagons for some reason. I haven't used it on a non-oddball car yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back