Cannot Use OIL EXTRACTOR on Vehicles w/ Auto Start/Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a find on another forum that may interest BITOGer's. I cannot find anything about this so far, other than this source. Wife's GMC has the same 15 minute wait time advisory as this F150 topic refers to and later in the thread a user states check valves are now in dipstick channels of most all Auto Start/Stop vehicles. I can't verify the truth of that but it is certainly interesting.

Apparently the reason some vehicles with the new Auto Start/Stop technology say in their manuals to let the car sit at least 15 minutes to get an accurate dipstick reading is because Auto Start/Stop oil pan setup for the dipstick is different and will feature a Check Valve between the dipstick and the oil in sump. This valve apparently prevents oil from traveling up the dipstick tube during an Auto Start/Stop re-start.

Here is the post with a helpful diagram. Unknown origin of the diagram.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/mityvac-oil-suction-machines-456226/#post6324663

This means the suction tube from an OIL EXTRACTOR while it may slip past the tail section of the check valve, it cannot directly enter the sump to remove the oil. Diagram in the linked post demonstrates this.

I suppose the ROFL is reference my post of a few weeks ago about buying a Mity Vac style extractor to assist in oil changes on our two new vehicles ... that have the Auto Start/Stop technology. Your rofl is acknowledged and the joke is in fact on me, I agree, lol.
blush.gif

At least I might be able to use the extractor to remove any over fills in the future. Maybe.

It's strange that no one knows about this subtle design feature, it seems a notable departure from conventional dipstick routing and oil pan design.

Originally Posted by dbias
My Audi A4 has start stop and my oil extractor works fine.

One on the board for Audi for keeping life simple !!

I have to wonder if this is model specific. Am also curious what this valve is for.

Just more morphidite engineering from Ford. Take a simple concept like a dipstick and make it convoluted.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I suppose the ROFL is reference my post of a few weeks ago about buying a Mity Vac style extractor to assist in oil changes on our two new vehicles ... that have the Auto Start/Stop technology. Your rofl is acknowledged and the joke is in fact on me, I agree, lol.
blush.gif

I was laughing at the decision by Ford to use a design which required a check valve for the dipstick tube.

maybe not related but when you push the dash button on a toyota hybrid to open the fuel door you have 20 min to refuel- something I know not what recloses after 20 min

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
This only applies to the engines based on the 2.7 with the 2 piece block. The other engines with start/stop don't have this issue.

Awesome. The exact engine I've got. Looks like oil changes will be of the projectile vomiting type, as far when I pull the sump plug. That is, this engine is notorious for shooting the oil out horizontally (side mounted drain plug) then it hits a frame cross member and goes everywhere except in the catch pan, when the plug is pulled, for initial burst of oil coming out.

Dealership oil changes are beginning to look attractive again . . .

Originally Posted by atikovi
Fumoto valve with hose attached.

Composite oil pan, not sure can use a metal plug. The drain plug is plastic with an o-ring and only goes like a quarter turn or so to remove. I've not had first hand experience yet, as the first oil change was free dealership one, and I have one more free one coming. They did a fair enough job on the first one. I just wanted to start doing my own eventually. And do my own on the wife's GMC's next oil change which is due soon. She has one more free change coming but we're not letting that other dealership touch her car again since they over filled it by just over a quart and didn't change the filter, for the first free oil change, 1 qt over fill on a 4.2 qt capacity. So... if the GMC in fact turns out NOT to have one of these check valves in the dipstick channel, then I'm at least good to go using the extractor for her oil change this coming weekend.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
This only applies to the engines based on the 2.7 with the 2 piece block. The other engines with start/stop don't have this issue.

Awesome. The exact engine I've got. Looks like oil changes will be of the projectile vomiting type, as far when I pull the sump plug. That is, this engine is notorious for shooting the oil out horizontally (side mounted drain plug) then it hits a frame cross member and goes everywhere except in the catch pan, when the plug is pulled, for initial burst of oil coming out.

Dealership oil changes are beginning to look attractive again . . .

for something like that I would cut the bottom off a 2 liter or half gallon jug and quickly move it in place after pulling the plug. using the bottle upside down to direct the oil to the oil drain pan.

This is ridiculous and has to have other reasoning.... a start/stop vehicle acts no differently than a regular car being restarted... how can a start possibly have an effects on the dipstick tube??? I'm calling male cow fecal matter on this one...

Originally Posted by PimTac
Just more morphidite engineering from Ford. Take a simple concept like a dipstick and make it convoluted.

morphidite. 1. a word to describe a hermaphrodite (an organism having both male and female genitalia characteristics which are simultaneously present; typically not fully developed, and vestigial in appearance).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back