Canadian Castrol EDGE vs. GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done some searching, both here and the Internet at large.

I've read:

a) US EDGE is not the same as Euro EDGE. Presumably Canada EDGE = US EDGE but I don't know for sure.

b) GC may be Euro EDGE 0W30

c) US/Canada was only getting EDGE in 5W30 and 10W30

d) technical data is hard to come by, but I found a PDS for Euro EDGE 0W40 showing ~80/13.5 cSt 40C/100C. I have not found a list of approvals, ACEA levels etc... from Castrol US or Canada.

My application is BMW - a selection of M52, M52TU, M62 and M62TU engines I perform or recommend maintenance on (only the M52 is actually mine). I need ACEA A3 in a 30 or 40.

My current syn of choice is GC. I like 40 weights in this engine and have run 15W40 in summer but always come back to GC either for the winter or year-round depending on the circumstances. I've debated forgoing some extreme cold protection and using a 5W40. I've also used M1 0W40 extensively but it a) makes my engine really noisy and b) shears to a 30 in a couple thousand kms so what's the point?

The fact that Euro EDGE and US EDGE are possibly completely different makes researching VOA/UOA data difficult. It also makes believing any PDS you find difficult, since general users and non-technical marketing people screw up PDS sheets all the time. Is there any truth in the claims of completely different formulas?

Price aside, how does US/Canada EDGE compare with GC? I'm not interested at this time in runtime beyond 10,000km so long drain isn't my primary focus.

EDGE doesn't look cheap, and I've been thinking about trying Redline just for fun. I think Redline may end up less expensive per quart than Edge here in Canada so does it make sense to even look at Edge?

Last edited:
You can't really comapre the two. Different oils for different apps.

If you need an A3 rated oil for a Euro car, you want 'GC' 0W-30 OR Syntec 5W-40. All NA versions of Edge are API SM, GF-4 energy-conserving oils.

IF these are older BMW engines that aren't under warranty, you might want to consider a 5W-40/0W-40 HDEO - XD-3 0W-40; Rotella 'T6' 5W-40; M1 TDT 5W-40. It opens up your options a bit.

Thank you for this thread OP. I would really like to know those answers too. It's frustrating to me b/c I have a little Castrol fanboi in me from my using Castrol GTX in the later 90's. I was a Quaker State guy before that.

I would love to have access to the Euro Edge as that would be all I'd run. Now I have to hunt and find GC to get my fix. lol

But it sucks that we get a different Edge. I don't care for 2 more miles in a tank of gas, I want the good stuff.

@addyguy: Thanks for your response. I'm not new to selecting oils, or good choices for BMWs, but EDGE is new to me...

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You can't really comapre the two. Different oils for different apps.

To me that depends on what the TRUTH is concerning whether a) US/Canada Edge is the same as Euro Edge and b) what grades will be coming to NA. What little info I've been able to find on Edge 0W40 looks perfectly acceptable for Euro apps, assuming that NA Edge 0W40, if ever available, is the same as the Euro variant.

Quote:

If you need an A3 rated oil for a Euro car, you want 'GC' 0W-30 OR Syntec 5W-40. All NA versions of Edge are API SM, GF-4 energy-conserving oils.

IF these are older BMW engines that aren't under warranty, you might want to consider a 5W-40/0W-40 HDEO - XD-3 0W-40; Rotella 'T6' 5W-40; M1 TDT 5W-40. It opens up your options a bit.

GC is my defacto standard and I've also been quite happy with various 15W40 dino HDEOs (at appropriate intervals). As I mentioned I keep coming back to GC for winter instead of going to a 5W40 but I'm thinking about changing that - possibly with Redline or Edge 0W40 (if attainable and confirmed as being of good quality).

Some of these questions are why I started the thread. I am not attempting to compare 5W30, 10W30 or the rumoured 5W20 NA Edge to GC. I am, however, trying to understand if NA Edge = Euro Edge, if GC = Euro Edge 0W30, and if Edge 0W40 > GC. :)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
BTW, I am assuming that by "NA Edge" you mean the "US Edge" that was introduced here about a year ago. Am I off on this?

Edge has just come to Canada. I *assumed* Canada Edge = US Edge, thus it is "North America" Edge.

Again, "assume".

So the data you've found indicates that even in 5W30 and 10W30 that US Edge != Euro Edge. Bummer.

On availability, I've found automotive stuff harder to get in Canada than it should be. Most retailers cater to the lowest common denominator and that's about it. You can find "antifreeze", but I have a lot of trouble finding Zerex G-48, G-05 etc.. specifically. I can find "brake fluid", but have a heck of a time finding "ATE Type200/Super Blue". I can get get "disk brake quiet" but have trouble finding "Sylglide". I can get "anti-seize" but good luck finding a particular nickel or copper variant. Oddly, we *CAN* find GC on the shelf. You can't get MMO here, nor FP/LC or ARX (without a cost-doubling border-crossing ripoff), nor Mobil Racing2T (when it was made), never seen M1 HM, never seen M1 TDT, I only found ONE guy carrying RMI-25... The rant goes on...

Same problem for detailing products but even worse...

I end up ordering a lot of stuff online and the grades of Edge found at the local auto store don't necessarily represent what's available somewhere, somehow in my country so my questions are kind of generic at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
So the data you've found indicates that even in 5W30 and 10W30 that US Edge != Euro Edge. Bummer.

Yup. The NA Edge targets US mfg specs (such as Ford and GM) and has fuel economy in mind. On the other hand, the Euro Edge tailors to BMW/MB/VW specs, another words, thicker viscosity, higher HT/HS, but not energy conserving as a result.

However, until recently, one could get Castrol Syntrans 75W-85 GL4 transmission fluid in Canada. Totally unvailable in the US. Apparently no longer in Canada, either.

Charlie

@Quattro Pete:

Do you think that you would be able to assemble some links to the TDS you've been able to find, showing US/Euro Edge of the same weight differing in spec? I think it would make a great reference for this thread if it's hit by searches down the road.

Last edited:
These are pics of the Edge 5W-30 we get downunder:
Front
Back
It's about the cheapest full-synthetic on the shelf in NZ, 5 liters for only four times the hourly minimum wage. 5 L of Penzoil P 5W-30 is 8 times min wage.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Front
Back

It's cool that they include a reminder window sticker with the bottle.

But this marketing fluff had me laughing...
Quote:
recommended for the latest technology and prestige engines

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Thank you QP!

No problem.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
Front
Back
It's about the cheapest full-synthetic on the shelf in NZ, 5 liters for only four times the hourly minimum wage. 5 L of Penzoil P 5W-30 is 8 times min wage.

That 5W30 meets ACEA A3 according to the back picture - definitely not the data sheets I've seen up until now.

I'm sooooo happy that Castrol calls it all "Edge".
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back