Castrol Edge 10W-30 in Australia

Originally Posted by SR5
Hey Mate, good to see you again. It's been awhile, did you have an AU Falcon previously ? Congratulations on the new ride.

Yes I have used Castrol Edge 10W30 (A5/B5) in my ‘06 Holden Astra, it went fine, a good oil that didn't burn and stayed clean looking (for what that is worth). I would use again, but I scored some GTX UltraClean 15W40 (A3/B3) at better than half price so I'll probably work my way through that and other blends I have for the Astra.

I've just purchased a new (to me) 2013 Nissan X-Trail 4x4, with the 2.5L 4-cylinder petrol (gas) engine (QR25DE). Which I believe is much the same car with the same engine as the Nissan Rogue in North America. This is the car I'll start running my full synthetic oils in, I have ample Castrol Edge 5W30 (A3/B4), Castrol Magnatec 5W30 (A3/B4) and Shell Helix Ultra 5W40.

I've also just purchased some Ryco SynTec oil filters for the very first time. For the X-Trail, as they had them at 20% off which brought them down to much the same price as the regular Ryco cellulose filters.

But back to the Edge 10W30, it's not SN-Plus so it's not designed to control LSPI in Turbo Direct Injected cars. So I wouldn't use it in a TDI car, but for most non-TDI petrol engine cars on the road in Australia it's probably close to the perfect oil IMO.

Cheers! It's certainly been a while. I had some very bad luck with cars last year... I went back to the UK for a couple of months with the Mrs and after trying to get back into things when I arrived back, someone pulled out and T-boned my AU (with my at the time 10 month old daughter in) then 3 weeks later the head gasket blew on the BMW. I was pretty annoyed being left with no car so quickly so I gave in and got something with a 5* ANCAP and a decent warranty!

That's good to hear, the first fill of the 10w30 Edge is currently at 8,000km and still looks surprisingly good for a direct injection engine. It looks dark but not out of the ordinary and still has a good consistency with what seems minimal fuel dilution.
I also picked up a stack of that Ultraclean too for my old cars, I believe for around $15-16 and I've slowly used it up in the rest of the family's cars as it's not suitable for mine...

Sounds good, and they seem like a great engine those! The A3 would be perfect for that, I will most likely start using the 5w30 after the warranty period.

Yeah that's what I did too, first time I've seen the Syntec filters on sale so I might buy a few more. They are incredibly expensive for my car now (Z79) at $23ea for the Syntec ($18 on sale) where I used to pay $4-9 for the Z9s for the Falcon which were 3x the size haha

Yeah I'm not overly worried about pre-detonation in mine, DI but no turbo and has dual CVVT, plus I only run 95-98 anyway. Figured I might as well since it uses half the fuel the Falcon used to haha

Hi Mate,
Yes I wouldn't be too concerned about LSPI in a non-turbo car. Plus you're running premium fuel. I've always liked 10W30 as a viscosity grade for its shear stability and low volatility, it's thick enough but not over-the-top, plus ACEA A5/B5 is a very high standard.

I hear you about the oil filters. The old Z154 for my Astra costs about $8 to $10 while the Z445 for the X-Trail is about double that, with the synthetic SynTec filters even more again. The SynTec filters are rarely on sale, but worth grabbing a few when they are.

Looks like we both hit the same GTX UltraClean sale, hard to go past it at that price.

BTW I hope your daughter was OK, scary stuff.

Hey, you are on the coast, do they let you go to the beach under lockdown laws ?

Stay Healthy

Originally Posted by SR5
Hi Mate,
Yes I wouldn't be too concerned about LSPI in a non-turbo car. Plus you're running premium fuel. I've always liked 10W30 as a viscosity grade for its shear stability and low volatility, it's thick enough but not over-the-top, plus ACEA A5/B5 is a very high standard.

I hear you about the oil filters. The old Z154 for my Astra costs about $8 to $10 while the Z445 for the X-Trail is about double that, with the synthetic SynTec filters even more again. The SynTec filters are rarely on sale, but worth grabbing a few when they are.

Looks like we both hit the same GTX UltraClean sale, hard to go past it at that price.

BTW I hope your daughter was OK, scary stuff.

Hey, you are on the coast, do they let you go to the beach under lockdown laws ?

Stay Healthy

Yeah I'm not too worried although I have read about people experiencing pinging in this engine, but only on lower octane fuels and after months of city driving and idling.
My driving couldn't be much more mixed really. I live in the city, but go on a 1-2 hour round hwy drive out to my parents once a week and although I constantly try to get the fuel consumption readout as low as possible, I also mix it up with some spirited hard driving to keep things clean and loose!
Same here regarding 10W30. It just feels like a solid, low VM grade and I always used it in the AU until it started pouring out of every seal haha the HTHS of the Edge is decent too at 3.2, which is a perfect compromise in my opinion for an A5. It doesn't seem too thin either, even on the dipstick on a red hot engine.

I might buy a few more of them actually! $4-5 per filter is a good saving given the price!

Luckily she was fine, we buy top end car seats for good reason but the AU held up very well for a 70kmh T-bone. In fact the Hilux that hit us was worse, and I still have the AU parked on my parents property and it still starts and drives fine, minus coolant! I have a spare radiator to try graft in to the side swiped front end!

Yep! Right in the heart of Surfers. Funny you mention that, it has been a ghost town for weeks until we went for a walk on ANZAC Day and the beaches were packed! I work in management at Woolies and the Sunday after was the busiest day since Christmas too, so everything is definitely returning to normal and then some!

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by SR5
I recon it will be close to what you guys have.

What would the price in Canada be for 5L ?

The clearance stuff, and a decent sale price, is around $30 to $35 a jug. Regular Canadian Tire pricing is about $50 a jug, which is clearly way too much, given that Delvac 1 from the distributor is like half that.

Canadian Tire and Walmart Canada assume, and correctly for the most part, that no one would consider buying oil from anyone except them.

I paid $29+ tax at Canadian tire back on boxing day. It's still sitting in the garage. I'm trying to decide which of my 3 vehicles to run it in. It wasn't my first pick for any of them but the price was so good.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by SR5
I recon it will be close to what you guys have.

What would the price in Canada be for 5L ?

The clearance stuff, and a decent sale price, is around $30 to $35 a jug. Regular Canadian Tire pricing is about $50 a jug, which is clearly way too much, given that Delvac 1 from the distributor is like half that.

Canadian Tire and Walmart Canada assume, and correctly for the most part, that no one would consider buying oil from anyone except them.

I paid $29+ tax at Canadian tire back on boxing day. It's still sitting in the garage. I'm trying to decide which of my 3 vehicles to run it in. It wasn't my first pick for any of them but the price was so good.

I stand corrected. The stuff I bought here in Canada is a1/b1 with gm6094m and some Chrysler spec, etc. So not the same oil.

IMG_20200427_072832.jpg

IMG_20200427_072824.jpg

Last edited:
So ironically Edge 5w30 A3/B4 went on half price yesterday and is $35 for a 5L jug.
I am servicing a mate's MR16DDT tomorrow with it and I think I'll also grab a few for myself for when I do my changes at home, and keep the Edge 10w30 A5 for when I take it to the dealership once a year!

Originally Posted by 19jacobob93
So ironically Edge 5w30 A3/B4 went on half price yesterday and is $35 for a 5L jug.
I am servicing a mate's MR16DDT tomorrow with it and I think I'll also grab a few for myself for when I do my changes at home, and keep the Edge 10w30 A5 for when I take it to the dealership once a year!

I'm always torn between the Edge 10W30 A5/B5 and the Edge 5W30 A3/B4.

Edge 10W-30 (API SN, ACEA A5/B5, ILSAC GF-5)
Vis 40C = 66.2
Vis 100C = 10.47
Pour Point = -36C
TBN = 11.2
HTHS = 3.2

Edge 5W-30 A3/B4 (API SL, ACEA A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5) (Note Castrols says: "Passes all engine test performance requirements for API SN and SM but exceeds Phosphorus limits for those classifications.")
Vis 40C = 71.8
Vis 100C = 12.0
Pour Point = -36C
TBN = 10.2
HTHS = 3.6

Both have a Noack volatility below 10%, with the 10W30 probably winning here at probably closer to 8%.
But the 5W30 wins the ZDDP race with about 1000 ppm Zn, with the 10W30 having a standard ILSAC dose of about 800 ppm.

Both will do me any day of the week

It's definitely a close toss up between them! I'm looking forward to trying both back to back and coming to a conclusion with the BITOG butt dyno.

I'm more of a HTHS fan but the 10w30's 3.2, although on the limit of how low I'd go, is still quite robust for an A5 and should still serve well even in a Qld summer, and it may even help cool the engine better. I reckon 800ppm Zn is still a healthy dose too...

Does anyone know of a good thread that compares viscosity used to engine temperatures?

I've heard nothing but good things from people like Silk and Shannow who have used lots of Edge 5W30 A3/B4 in anger. But I also like how the Edge 10W30 A5/B5 has a HTHS of 3.2 cP when most ILSAC GF-5 30 grades would typically have a HTHS of 3.0 - 3.1 That extra bump is nice.

My new to me T31 Nissan X-Trail is meant to be hard on oil, so I'll probably give both a run eventually. But the A3/B4 first given I've already got some in my oil stash.

I've also got some full synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5W30 (SN & A3/B4 but no OEM specs)in my stash that needs to be used up. I wonder how close this is to the Edge 5W30 A3/B4 ? Certainly the Magnatec has regular ZDDP levels due to it being SN and not SL.

Back