Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been presented with an opportunity to get a decent amount of the non-US Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 for a good price.

KV@100: 13.1
KV@40: 77.5
VI: ? (old figure was 171)
HTHS: 3.6
TBN: 7.7
Pour: -60C/-76F

ACEA A3/B3/B4/C2/C3
API SM/CF
BMW LL04
MB 229.31/229.51
Porsche
VW 502.00/503.01/505.00

Looks to be an extremely light Xw40. Can't tell what the basestocks are but I'd guess they're PAO based on the numbers (especially the pour point).

Any compelling reason to acquire this stuff? I was going to run German Castrol for the next change but this stuff has peaked my interest. Not terribly worried about the moderate TBN as I run a shorter change interval due to my driving habits. The SM rating is obviously better than GC's SL.

Last edited:
Didn't see much listed in the previous discussions. Same answer of "dunno, just stick with GC".

Originally Posted By: dparm
The SM rating is obviously better than GC's SL.

It's rather irrelevant, I'd say. The 503.01 spec trumps both these API specs, and both these oils meet it.

API specs are weak sauce.
smile.gif

But back to your question, what is "good price"? It would have to be significantly lower than $5/qt for me to consider since that's what M1 0w-40 costs when it's on sale, and I doubt this Castrol is better.

If you NEED the emission control ACEA C3/MB229.51/LL04 ratings it seems excellent, TBN is 20% higher than other typical C3 oils like Castrol SLX Professional types.
Otherwise, for petrol engines and pre DPF diesels it is a compromise and I'd much rather run Mobil 1 0W40.

Charlie

The Castrol 0w40 Edge Sport clearly states on the package (in Australia) not to use it in BMW petrol vehicles outside Europe.

Why is this warning on the label ?

Last edited:
I'm not concerned. I always fill up at BP, Shell, Mobil, etc. No [censored] gas for my car.

I'm not concerned. I always fill up at BP, Shell, Mobil, etc. No [censored] gas for my car.

It has to do with ethanol as well as high sulfur levels in our gas, regardless where you fill up in the US.

I wouldnt harp on the US Gas to much Washington 92 so far has been superior to the German 93. I dont know what it is but the gas just has not lived up to me expectations. I guess like most things in life its all hype,

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It has to do with ethanol as well as high sulfur levels in our gas, regardless where you fill up in the US.

Ethanol use is not foreign (no pun intended) to the Europeans. Bio-fuel blends are currently available, and will soon be mandatory, EU-wide. That means they, like us, will soon be unable to buy "pure" gasoline. Our sulfur levels have also been massively reduced in the past few years.

RSHUNTER do you know if they made this switch as of yet? I was tuned quite aggresively on Washington 92 octane with 24 psi of boost with room to spare on a ture 93 octane now I am getting some knock at the higher PSI. Everything points to poor quality fuel on the 98 ron no matter what brand I put in the car ARAL, ESSO, AGIP ETC ETC. The only fuel that does not knock is the super super plus ron 102 from Aral. Talking to a german with a porshe he told me that the RON98 was now garbage. Can you confirm this, if you want pure gas COSTCO is your best bet no additives.

Originally Posted By: asu
I wouldnt harp on the US Gas to much Washington 92 so far has been superior to the German 93. I dont know what it is but the gas just has not lived up to me expectations. I guess like most things in life its all hype,

DE gasoline has ~10 ppm sulphur whereas in the U.S. it's higher (~30ppm). This is what was meant with regards to the ethanol/sulphur comment.

Excuse my ignorance on the Subject but does sulphur reduce the Octane? Or is low Sulphur for emmisions? If its about emissions I could care less because non of my cars have Cats.

Originally Posted By: asu
Excuse my ignorance on the Subject but does sulphur reduce the Octane? Or is low Sulphur for emmisions? If its about emissions I could care less because non of my cars have Cats.

It's about meeting emissions goals in conjunction with maintaining long OCI's.

Nothing to do with Octane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back