Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh okay guys thanks for the Info. Non of that information really pertains to me, since Cats and emision controls dont apply in my case.

Thanks John

The lack of a lean-burn stratified mode in NA Euro cars is what dillutes the fuel, sulphur is less, if any, of an issue.

I believe the warning is to avoid extended drains and stick w/oem intervals, due to it being a thin 40 and likely not keeping HT/HS up after getting fueled down.

At $7, I would use it in a sec. Most Euro oils are $8 if that's a consolation.

My bets are that higher additive levels and frequent changes are the way to go.

Originally Posted By: asu
RSHUNTER do you know if they made this switch as of yet? I was tuned quite aggresively on Washington 92 octane with 24 psi of boost with room to spare on a ture 93 octane now I am getting some knock at the higher PSI. Everything points to poor quality fuel on the 98 ron no matter what brand I put in the car ARAL, ESSO, AGIP ETC ETC. The only fuel that does not knock is the super super plus ron 102 from Aral. Talking to a german with a porshe he told me that the RON98 was now garbage. Can you confirm this, if you want pure gas COSTCO is your best bet no additives.

IIRC, the EU specification for gasoline currently permits up to a 5% ethanol content. In France they permit up to a 10% concentration, like we do in the U.S. market. Sweden uses up to 15% in standard gasoline, as they are pushing the use of bio-fuels much more heavily. In fact, the Swedes are the leaders in the adoption of E85.

The EU-wide implementation of an ethanol mandate isn't due until 2012, IIRC. I'll see if I can confirm that...

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
The lack of a lean-burn stratified mode in NA Euro cars is what dillutes the fuel, sulphur is less, if any, of an issue.

I believe the warning is to avoid extended drains and stick w/oem intervals, due to it being a thin 40 and likely not keeping HT/HS up after getting fueled down.

At $7, I would use it in a sec. Most Euro oils are $8 if that's a consolation.

My bets are that higher additive levels and frequent changes are the way to go.

I run 5k OCIs anyways. My driving style dictates it. No way do I trust the 10k factory interval, and my Blackstone tests have agreed.

Is this a PAO oil, or is it a PAO + ester mix? Can't find much info.

Be prepared for high oil consumption with this oil - used it in two Bimmers (M52 and N62 engines) and both had a significant increase in oil consumption. Other petrol BMW owners also reported this issue with this oil.

Curious. Any ideas why?

My S4 burns virtually no oil; makeup on my last change was <1qt (over a 5k OCI with a 10L sump). That was Liqui-Moly Voll Synthese 5w40. So far I am 3.5k into my Motul 300V change and have only needed 0.5qt of makeup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Curious. Any ideas why?

My S4 burns virtually no oil; makeup on my last change was div>

No ideas. But CVV were replaced just before fill up with EDGE Sport or right after that
wink.gif

He probably meant CCV - crankcase ventilation valve.

As to the reasons for elevated oil consumption, I would guess higher volatility associated with larger viscosity spread. Many people report higher oil consumption with M1 0w-40 as well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

As to the reasons for elevated oil consumption, I would guess higher volatility associated with larger viscosity spread. Many people report higher oil consumption with M1 0w-40 as well.

Exactly
thumbsup2.gif
Why do you call it CCV, if it is Crankcase Ventilation Valve?
32.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ph1l
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Exactly
thumbsup2.gif
Why do you call it CCV, if it is Crankcase Ventilation Valve?
32.gif

We actually call it CCV valve (Crankcase Ventilation valve), but I agree that CVV is more appropriate abbreviation.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: asu
I wouldnt harp on the US Gas to much Washington 92 so far has been superior to the German 93. I dont know what it is but the gas just has not lived up to me expectations. I guess like most things in life its all hype,

DE gasoline has ~10 ppm sulphur whereas in the U.S. it's higher (~30ppm). This is what was meant with regards to the ethanol/sulphur comment.

Compared to where sulfur levels used to be I consider the difference between 10 and 30 ppm to be almost insignificant. Almost in that maybe you couldn't do a full euro OCI but you could do a significantly long OCI, or maybe you could do the full interval with testing.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
for petrol engines and pre DPF diesels it is a compromise and I'd much rather run Mobil 1 0W40.

Charlie

Why would you say it's a compromise for petrol engines?

We call a electrocardiogram a EKG too. I guess some of that old German dialect has bled over from the initial Elektrokardiogramm days.

Words are funny some times.

About $7/qt. At 100C it's thinner than M1 by about 5%.

The only thing I don't like about this oil is the low VI for a 0W-40. Despite being lighter as you mentioned than M1 at operating temps it is actually heavier at 60C and below. At 0C it's a significant 13% heavier than M1. For than reason alone I's prefer M1.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
About $7/qt. At 100C it's thinner than M1 by about 5%.

The only thing I don't like about this oil is the low VI for a 0W-40. Despite being lighter as you mentioned than M1 at operating temps it is actually heavier at 60C and below. At 0C it's a significant 13% heavier than M1. For than reason alone I's prefer M1.

Edge Sport isn't availabe in Canada. Are you comparing it to the regular Edge sold in North America?

No, we're going off the PDS. Edge Sport is a European oil.

Ultimately I decided not to buy this -- for $7-8/qt it doesn't seem worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back