Can you recommend an external television antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my take. I bought a cheap Amazon Basics clear flat antenna for $13 on amazon prime.

Wanted to see what channels I could get with it suction cupped to my living room window.

Surprised to see that I got 27 channels, all the Austin Locals, but not Fox.

On a clear day I even get some channels from Waco area.

We subscribed to Sling TV also, for $25 per month and we get tons of channels, including Fox Austin, and Fox Sports Southwest.

Also we get a ton of free movies from Amazon Prime streaming.

Using the new Roku, the picture quality is EQUAL to Time Warner cable, streaming on a 100MBS connection.

I have more TV than I could ever watch. I'm saving nearly $100 per month also.

We put our old Roku in the bedroom and bought another $13 antenna and we are set.

I bet I could mess with putting an attic mounted antenna in my rafters of the attic and get more channels but right now I'm 100 percent happy with spending 26 bucks for two antennas.

Honestly, I wouldnt look to take the easy way out.
Your cancelling your pay TV service and going to save boat loads of money over the long term, why not do it right forever..

Based on what you said here is what I would install, of course using good cable, connectors, splitters and if need be a cheap $16 RCA amp if feeding many tvs. We have been pay TV free for years, we still have way to much TV to watch with our antenna and Roku's.
Antenna feeds 4 TVs in the home plus many more outlets using a $16 RCA amp at the splitter. Also use a Channel Master DVR+ on the main TV.

With your 30 to 40 miles, about what I am, you can install in the attic or roof, I had the room in my attic so that is where we are. Of course the many web based aiming sites will have allow you to properly aim it.

I used an RCA ANT3036X and bought it for $100 from Lowes. This started out as an experiment and figured I would try this one first and could always order one on line if it didnt work. However that was years ago and it works perfect and no need to. I think one mistake people make is being cheap, yet they pay TV providers hundreds to well over $1000 a YEAR for pay TV. I went into this as cost no object because after a few months of not paying a cable bill, well, its free.
However, I never needed to spend much money then the above plus a $300 Channel Master DVR+

My son who just bought a home, slightly more distance to the towers, I ordered a Channel Master CM2020 antenna for him, I havent installed it yet nor have I opened the box but looks almost the same as the RCA I got from Lowes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back