Can you even buy a "bad" oil anymore? Even cheap syn is great!

After reading many UOAs, watching video tests of, and trying the cheapest of oils you can get now, SuperTech (Walmart), Kirkland (Costco), and Amazon Basics, they all seem to be really great performing synthetics. The Kirkland 5w-30 syn at Costco today was $15/5qt jug!

We these being the bargain basement, I was thinking what oils would I actually avoid these days? Other than intentionally using the WRONG oil for an application, it seems you really can't go wrong. In the past there were known oils with waxes that sludged up engines (old Quaker State) or caused seal problems, but today are we living in a golden era of motor oils?

I know I can’t distinguish a difference between any majority group 3 synthetic oils with the same approvals. Splitting hairs really.

How’s that Kirkland 5w-30 compared to say M1 or M1 EP? 20qt for $64 is really enticing but practically speaking it saves $8 per oil change, so if it’s any “worse” it seems not worth the savings doing 5 oil changes on our cars per year

A few older threads on this topic.

And for what it's worth, UOA and YouTube videos aren't the way to judge comparative oil quality unless we are talking Bullseye oil.

Unless it's line wash or used oil that's been filtered in the container you're buying, it's hard to but bad oil anymore. Additive technology consolidation and the glut of high quality base oils on the market have made that largely impossible.

You pretty much have to go out of your way to make a wrong choice these days.

If you go to any auto part store and ask the associate to look up what is “recommended” or use pretty much any online selection tool then you’ll probably be just fine.

And if you are a complete lazy idiot then just use M1 in the recommended viscosity shown under the hood and grab an OEM filter from the dealership. I think that is quite literally impossible to screw up.

The manner in-which you drive.....
Do you keep your dipstick oil mark at full level........
How often you change the oil...........
How long are you keeping that vehicle......

..... matters more than the name of the oil.
There are situations when the more pricey brands are necessary. The additives and base oils in motor oil all have different price / quality ranges.

You really think an oil that costs $15/5qt is going to equal the performance of something like HPL, Amsoil, Redline and friends? All that increased price is pure profit for the expensive brands?

I think that for regular cars, driven in a normal manner, changed at the specified cycle, it doesn't matter. Those oils you mention will be less prone to break down, so they can go longer mileage, and they will hold up better to high heat of a track day. Most people don't explore those limits, though.

Unless it's line wash or used oil that's been filtered in the container you're buying, it's hard to but bad oil anymore. Additive technology consolidation and the glut of high quality base oils on the market have made that largely impossible.
Adding to what I said: some dealer bulk and some shady independent shops also sell customers the low quality stuff I mentioned.

Then again, some dealerships don't change your oil at all, they just make you wait for an hour or two to do your "Express" oil change and send you on your way with your old oil in the sump. How about that?

You really think an oil that costs $15/5qt is going to equal the performance of something like HPL, Amsoil, Redline and friends? All that increased price is pure profit for the expensive brands?
In my G35, daughter's Civic, and my wife's Highlander, those boutique oils will provide no discernible benefit to us. If people want to use those, feel free, but don't pretend or insinuate that Supertech is a bad oil.

There are shady uncertified oils out there you don't want in your engine. Generally sold at dollar stores and gas stations.
Where, when ? If you are referring to the engine oil that Dollar General got scolded for selling, that situation was 100% user error, as I recall.

I keep seeing pictures of the original cross hatching on cylinder walls of engines that had their pistons pulled for other reasons. Before the days of synthetics, it was common for an engine to require the use of the “ridge reamer” to get pistons out of the engine. The cylinder walls were worn so much, it left a ridge at the top of the cylinder where the original cylinder diameter was. Using ridge readers was common all the way into the 1990’s on engines that were using conventional oil in the 70’s & 80’s. I wonder what UOA’s would have indicated back then.

F9EA0F41-B6DD-4F2F-A7E8-AD94A77162EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Their oils are better on paper but not in a way the average consumer will ever notice. It’s like using contruction grade trash bags for collecting used tissues (I don’t know why I thought of this analogy). For a track car or something high performance I’d be looking into them for sure, but them being very good doesn’t make others bad

Its hard to buy bad motor oil. Its easy to buy the wrong oil for the application. I recall a recent UOA that looked like someone put PCEO in a diesel engine. It didnt look terrible from a UOA perspective, but long term could have been .. interesting.

Its hard to buy bad motor oil. Its easy to buy the wrong oil for the application. I recall a recent UOA that looked like someone put PCEO in a diesel engine. It didnt look terrible from a UOA perspective, but long term could have been .. interesting.
That might have been me. I posted a UOA of Petrocan 10w40 PCMO in a 2011 LML around 2017.
Everything looked ok after 8,000 miles (13k kms), except the oil had sheared down to 11.8 @ 100C from 15.5.
I might try that again now that PCMOs are SP and 10w40 is likely a synthetic blend with less VM.
The engine has since been deleted and Bully Dog'd, the oil stays clear and clean to drain time.
Jumping all over the map with different oil chemistry causes copper in the UOAs from the oil cooler.
I did one run after that with Delo 400 5w40, then PC Duron for the last 6 years.
The jugs and pails have a tear-off pamphlet with the additive package listed in 10 different languages.
It appears to be a Lubrizol product with P1200 & Zn 1300 give or take.

First we got what oil is best in all flavors, then it went to thick v. thin (threads seem to be better disguised than the usual tussles - "...will 0W-1 ruin my engine..." etc) to OIL IS OIL. Those seem to be unmasked, neckid.

Back