Can power steering flow be too fast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some work on a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe this week. Friend of a friend kind of thing. Her power steering cooler (which wasn't much of one) was leaking. It had rusted through in 2 spots causing her to have to add power steering fluid every week or so. When I removed the cooler, installed an upgraded one, and refilled the system, I was shocked at how fast the fluid was whipping through that system. The pump had enough suction to completely drain a very good sized reservoir in about 2.5 seconds. When I got everything buttoned back up the repair worked just fine, no leaks. I drove it around for a bit, seemed fine. Nothing strange to report. Am I just too used to working on Lexus/Toyota cars which don't see this much flow? Is this kinda flow normal or should I be looking at something else wrong with the P/S system?

It depends on the volume, flow rate, and pressurization of the system.

I would say no, since some systems have high flow and low volume whereas others have low flows and large volumes.

Yes, that sort of flow is normal. It has to anticipate the worst-case conditions of low engine RPM and the need for a quick steering maneuver. It's the pressure that the pump provides "on-demand" so the high velocity does not relate to significant wasted power.

I too was shocked the first time I flushed a system.

That being said, in my 2002 Ford Taurus with 210k miles I have the issue where all the Maxlife and other fluids I've placed in my PS pump make it noisy. I've learned that a few fl oz of Liqui Moly MoS2 and a bit of Engine Oil Saver ontop of the Maxlife quiets things up quite a bit.

The pump has to move enough oil to work the steering instantly no matter the design there is lots of movement.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Power steering flow is always too fast. A fast manual rack is way more enjoyable to drive, and simpler and lighter too.

Interesting. I guess that's why top racing cars have been using power racks for years.

Having driven manual & power racks on the track and in the car park, give me a nice power rack _any_ time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back