Brake bleeder leaking after changing fluid.

Right...... Brakes are nothing to take even the slightest chances with.

Agree with you. No one should be putting just anything (lube or sealant) on those threads. Not on the "valve" threads as they are not what seals, they seal on the conical mating surface. It is certainly not recommended to put anything at all on the bleeder valves. The stuff we used on the valve body threads was at first a copper/graphite based anti seize and then went to a 100% synthetic/ceramic anti seize product. Just put a tiny amount on the threads before inserting into the calipers. Never had any issues. No one should plan to or have to keep removing the complete valve assembly out of the calipers. I have heard guys who live in the northern/winter time "salt belt" removing to clean or even replacing the valve assemblies when doing brake jobs to prevent seized parts. Glad I never experienced that type problems.
That one is strange looking to me the way the galling took place in the center. Not cross threaded or it would look different. My guess is some type of metal shavings or trash got in there as that valve assembly was installed whenever?
Or just straight up galvanic corrosion between steel bleeder and aluminum caliper body. My cars get dunked in salt water often, this is an issue for me with brakes.

For that reason, I apply a tiny bit of antiseize to the threads of a bleeder, then wipe the bleeder screw off, ensuring that there is NO antiseize on the base/unthreaded part of the bleed screw. No contamination, but a fighting chance that they won’t get stuck and strip out like this.

Had the left front outboard bleeder strip out on the V70R when I first got the car (four piston Brembo calipers, two bleed screws each). For professional curiosity, I attempted a TimeSert thread repair. It didn’t work. Couldn’t get a good seal, so I got a new caliper, which hurt.

Then, I found a set of four used R calipers on eBay from Erie Vovo - and I bought all 4.

Just in case this happens again.

Or just straight up galvanic corrosion between steel bleeder and aluminum caliper body. My cars get dunked in salt water often, this is an issue for me with brakes.

For that reason, I apply a tiny bit of antiseize to the threads of a bleeder, then wipe the bleeder screw off, ensuring that there is NO antiseize on the base/unthreaded part of the bleed screw. No contamination, but a fighting chance that they won’t get stuck and strip out like this.

Had the left front outboard bleeder strip out on the V70R when I first got the car (four piston Brembo calipers, two bleed screws each). For professional curiosity, I attempted a TimeSert thread repair. It didn’t work. Couldn’t get a good seal, so I got a new caliper, which hurt.

Then, I found a set of four used R calipers on eBay from Erie Vovo - and I bought all 4.

Just in case this happens again.
Yeah its a shame but 90% of the times when there is a stripped or galled caliper/bleeder assembly etc... even with all the repair kits you can find out there , they usually FAIL and its on to buying a new (not cheap at all) caliper! I have tried and only been successful once or twice with inserts etc... I finally concluded that for safetys sake if you are working on a vehicle your loved ones travel in it is worth every dollar to replace damaged or questionable with new parts for piece of mind.

How does this repair kit work?

I have used one or two similar long ago. One on my full size Bronco and once on a small car and got away with it. The biggie is the climate one lives and drives in. If someone is in the so called "winter time salt belt!" It will not last and may as well replace the caliper.
The way they work is like many other repair kits..... You drain fluids. Use a thread repair and most important (clean out with vacuum or an air hose as best as possible the metal shavings and trash that likely gets into the opening you re-threaded. You can even flush some fluid thru into a clear container to satisfy yourself you have no trash remaining that WILL cause problems. If you dont get it ALL cleaned out well you WILL have problems down the line with trash in the system that can be DANGEROUS. Sometimes if one can afford it , best to bite the bullet and pay for a brand new caliper that will come with piece of mind. If it doesn't feel right or one has any doubts, dont take a chance and replace the calipers....

Back