can ne one help me on oversize filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need a couple of oversized filters and i cannot find a cross reference that i can sucessfully oversize them.

i have an 91 accord ph3593a--
i think pure 1 standard is pl14459

i have an nissan 3682---(1986)
standard for pure 1 is pl24457

im looking into PUREONE, MOBIL 1, WIX. if i go cheaper ill look for pure 1 or wix, but if i go expensive ill go for mobil 1. do u think i have some good choices? im starting to steer from bosch. i use supertech but i want >15 microns.

i want to check them all out and make a decision basied on if im giong to pay above 10 bucks or below 6 bucks.
thanks alot guys.

[ March 24, 2003, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: digitaldrifter91 ]

Originally I tried to find a bigger filter for my wife's Honda (which also uses the L14459 size filter) but after searching and finding nothing with the same bypass settings, I came to the conclusion that it was best to stick with the stock size for her car. The filter for her car really isn't that small anyways, it's honestly not a bad size for a 4L oil capacity.

I replace Nissan 3682/L24457 with 3600/L20195. Some say that the PH8a/L30001 might fit but it leaked in my application.

There are several oversized filters for the Honda. But, you must test them for your own application.
Possible choices for the 3593a(2808)/L14459 are:
2849/L20073
3985/L14619
3807/L24458

thanks AL, i found one on www.trasko-usa.com/crossref.htm

undummy? gee i didnt find those fitlers on the cross refernce page that i posted. hahah now i have to go back and look again. are the threads the same?

i looked at the pure one filters and i came to the conclusion that none of them are bigger? they are all just smaller.

the bigger ones for my car are

fram is standard at ph3593a

all l1**** models are the same as P1**** in reference.
!l11459--->standard purolator***there was a spring inside-->
!l14460****there was a spring inside
l14620**very much smaller, like a bosch 3323
l14622**very much smaller, like a bosch 3323
l10193**cannot find.

!=same exact size, unknown for bypass rates, someone just earlier stated that the bypass rate was the same.

all of those has same threads at 20x1.5

if im trying to oversize the filters, how come i keep cross referncing smaller filters?

i understand that this is one of the more restrictive filters, thats why i want to go bigger.

thanks fellas

[ March 24, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: digitaldrifter91 ]

I the Super Tech numbers 2808, 3593, and 3985 here as interchanging with the 3950 I have been using. If you can find an ACDelco PF1177, it has half again the filter area as the Super Tech 3950 and over 3 times the Fram 3950. The only reason I am not using the AC is that I have trouble finding it. I have cut open other popular brands, and most of them are just slightly larger then the ST.

I also cut up a Miata B6Y214302 which has the same thread and bypass. It was much smaller on the outside, and inside between the Fram and ST. It interchanges with WIX 51365. So far WIX has escaped my hacksaw, but is well rated here. See my post near the end of best filter for under $6 for more details. have seen

thanks for the input, im giong to buy those filters and compare them to other ones i get, haha and then return them later

ok found a few more larger filters for my car with 20x.5

m104=m105

st 3593a=3950

but what i am trying to figure out is the psi at which the bypass opens. some filters are completly differnt and range differntly, but others dont.

i dont want to be running in full bypass all the time. i seen people look up the psi rating but i cant seem to find it on any site like wix, bosch, purolator, and frams.

Using the wixfilters(click on wix filters part# for wix info when crossreferencing) equivalent, the wix equal to the m105 has a higher bypass than the m104.
The 3950 has a higher bypass than the 3593.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000402

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000423

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000482

Bypass occurs when oil filter clogs, when oil is too thick(cold), or when oil flow exceeds filter capacity.
Running a low bypass is not a problem. Running a high bypass, with a stock low volume oil pump and low pressure regulator, could reduce oil pressure where it is needed in the engine.

Crude example--my car-- 70psi regulator standard volume pump:
20 psi bypass..70psi(total)-20psi(loss through restrictive filter) = 50psi at engine bearings

10 psi bypass..70psi(total)-10psi(filter loss)=60psi at engine bearings

NO bypass..70psi(total)-70psi(clogged filter loss)=0 psi in engine
thumbsdown.gif

IMO, I vote for more oil pressure to reduce wear and to prevent(reduce) needing the filter in the 1st place. Another thing to assume is that the bypass is variable and not a instant "pop" valve. It starts leaking at idle, leaks more as flow increases(rpm), leaks more as filter resistance increases(filter media capacity/resistance), and as oil viscosity thickens(when cold).

thanks undummy, that was one of the things i was looking for. those things i been boggling through my head. i emailed pureone and he told me this

"The 1991 Honda Accord with a 2.2L engine is cataloged to use the Purolator
PureOne PL14459.
The PL14459 has a pressure relief valve setting of 12 to 15 psi, and it
contains an anti-drain-back valve.
The PL14460 has a pressure relief valve setting of 8 to 10 psi, and it does
not contain an anti-drain-back valve.
The PL14620 has a pressure relief valve setting of 14 to 18 psi, and it
The PL14622 has a pressure relief valve setting of 14 to 18 psi, and it
The PL10193 has a pressure relief valve setting of 15 to 18 psi, and it

The filtration standard for automotive filters it 10 to 40 microns
with varying efficiencies. The PureOne filter series uses a patented blend
of cellulose and synthetic filter media which increases its efficiency with
regard to particles of smaller micron sizes from 30 to 50 percent over the
standard filter media. The PureOne also utilizes a heavy duty can and
contains silicon gaskets and anti-drain-back valves which have greater
durability than the standard rubber.

Tom Duvall (Catalog Research)"

now im waiting for bosch's bypass rates, as well as mobil 1 so i can see which one can be used on my car effectivly. i dont want a super low bypass and all u kno.

for fun i emailed fram to see what they would say. i doubt that their filter gets down to 10 micron. these are filters for all hondas and civics i think.

"Thank you for the e-mail regarding filter specifications for your list of Fram
oil filters. We welcome the opportunity
to be of service.

The PH3593A, PH3950, PH6010A, PH6607, and PH7317 are rated at 10 micron. The
PH3593A, PH3950, and PH6010A have an
internal pressure relief by-pass valve setting of 12 PSI. The PH6607 and PH7317
have an internal pressure relief
by-pass valve setting of 13 PSI. The external and internal dimensions of the
filtering media for these filters is not
available for publication.

Thank you for your interest in Fram filters.

Cordially,

Scott Jacobs
Catalog/Technical Service Representative
Catalog/Technical Service Department"

[ March 27, 2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: digitaldrifter91 ]

i find many bigger ones but the relief valve is higher...thats my only concern.

[ March 27, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

i know enough from personal use to know the relief valve opening pressure being higher doesnt matter.
tell me all the purolator filter numbers you know that are larger than the 14459 please.

and if you can, list the external size and gasket size, the relief valve is irrelivant to me.

check this out

http://www.trasko-usa.com/crossref.htm

it doesnt have gasket size, i guess a ruler is used for it hehe. well in the first section it shows all the fitlers, then u see the ph3593a for fram. next to it is the filter that is compadable to it. all those filters in that first section have the screw on threads of 20x1.5. those will fit the hondas, well thread wize im not super sure on gasket size but just compare them at the store.

if the relief valve is higher on a bigger filter, wont that cause a problem like if i rev to maximum...and there is resistance in teh oil filter, vital parts of the engine wont have enough oil??

i wish i knew how much pressure my engine puts out..that would realyl help. i hope i satisfied u.

i have a kia sephia with a 96 mazda miata motor and a mazda mx3 5spd transmission.
its my daily transportation car to and from work. no frills or anything. i have some engine mods, mainly for fuel efficency, like removal of egr, pcv, cat, etc...

it uses the same pl14459 filter your honda does.

my current filter is PL14620 which doesnt even have a bypass. and it doesnt show any problems with oil pressure. this leads me to think the 14620 has enough flow because of high surface area that a bypass is purely cosmetical. if you can consider the inside of an oil filter cosmetic anyways..........

im not scared to try different types of oil filters and different bypass strengths, i figure if i can get good oil pressure with no bypass valve, then any bypass valve of any psi setting should be good enough.

my only concern now is finding a larger filter to add more oil capacity.

according to the dude at purolator he stated that the bigger filter u use has a bypass...look at my other posts. do u use purolator plus or pure one?

i really think ill try premium plus standard size cause i just went though an auto rx treatment and there probably will still be some particles left. if i use a pure one then it will get clogged up quicker, i dont want to take this chance yet...but im still concidering.

[ March 28, 2003, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: digitaldrifter91 ]

the 14620 is a little longer, but alot skinnier and a 14459.

and it doesnt have a bypass, i looked inside it.

if i cant find a bigger filter, ill probably end up installing a remote oil filter and using one of those huge wix 51333 oil filters that hold 1.5 quarts of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back