Can Derale dual filter mounts be used as bypass mounts?

Derale has very poor documentation on their remote filter mounts. Has anyone used the dual filter mount with one full-flow and one bypass filter? How did you plumb it?

Or, could you run a sandwich mount that retains filter in almost-stock location and run the sandwich mount line to a Frantz or Amsoil remote filter? I do want the 2um filtration benefit, but I’m also interested in gaining ~2qts of oil capacity.

Pretty open to any ideas since this is for a gasser and nobody really makes specific kits. Thanks, and thank you to all my fellow veterans for your service and sacrifices!

@SubieRubyRoo - You might consider:
In January of 2011 I purchased a https://www.paretopoint.com/topdog-v for my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser w/55k miles. Today I'm still running this remote bypass filter system. My FJ now has 232k trouble free miles, and doesn't consume any oil. I Have always run and Amsoil EaBP90 on the remote filter mount. I've run this system on 2 of our other vehicles too. No regrets.
Over the 13+ yrs its been on my FJ, for preventative mx on the FJ, once I changed the 1/4" hyd hoses, and twice I've changed the o-rings.
Here's my original mention of my TopdogV system(s) here on BITOG: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/pics-of-3-bypass-systems.150086/

DSCN8303.JPG

DSCN8304.JPG

Derale has very poor documentation on their remote filter mounts. Has anyone used the dual filter mount with one full-flow and one bypass filter? How did you plumb it?

Or, could you run a sandwich mount that retains filter in almost-stock location and run the sandwich mount line to a Frantz or Amsoil remote filter? I do want the 2um filtration benefit, but I’m also interested in gaining ~2qts of oil capacity.

Pretty open to any ideas since this is for a gasser and nobody really makes specific kits. Thanks, and thank you to all my fellow veterans for your service and sacrifices!
Derale 2.jpg

Last edited:
This is the simplest to set up, keeps the stock filter in the same spot as the vehicle was engineered, two hoses to which ever filter and filter mount you want to use, these add 1 inch to overall filter length., this one is made by Derale, I can say they are good quality for the money as I have bought two of these.

Amsoil uses a checkball spring in their dual mount, works the same as the check ball/spring in the Derale I posted, it will consistently feed your bypass filter 2 psi. I don't think running a Derale twin mount will work very well without the check ball/spring, there won't be enough pressure drop from the full flow filter.

Back