Can anyone explain this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buster, I agree with you-most motor oils are very cheap if you think about it. Some people cry about Mobil 1 being $4.00-$5.00 a quart. Imagine what it would cost if it was priced like prescription medicine. Chevron Supreme is considered by most people here a good conventional motor oil. It costs slightly more than $1.00 a quart. You can often get it on sale for 69 cents or 99 cents a quart. That is expensive?

Now Redline starts to get expensive, but when you think about it if you buy Redline oil you probably will have it in your car/truck for 6000 miles or more. Maybe an entire year. $40.00 or $50.00 worth of oil is expensive? For an entire year?

Some of those European oils do get to be expensive, by any standards, unless they person has so much money they can afford to spend a couple of million dollars on a party.

Exactly Mystic. My view has always been that most of your money is wrapped up in the Car so why not just go the extra mile and buy a very good oil. $7qt x4qts = $28 is not alot of money. I can think of a billion other people that blow money on other things. It's all opurtunity cost. I think people forget that not only can you go longer with drains, but they keep your engines very clean. That is very important. My car runs so well because I've used a good synlube and ran Rx. My car runs as good as new, honestly. I've driven a new Corolla when I had Toyota put a new water pump on and my car felt every bit as smooth and powerful. Toyota engineering also is a huge factor so its not just the oil either.
cheers.gif

[ November 01, 2003, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I have a 2001 with 140k miles on it.Buster

A 2001 what?

Have you had a compression check done to find out if you have bad rings or valve guides? You could be throwing your money away using good oil in a worn out engine.

Sorry, Toyota Corolla. The compressions seems great and the car runs very well. I think it's Redline and it's extremely low Cf.
dunno.gif

[ November 01, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back