Camry w/ 30k on Amsoil ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the ATF fliud analysis from my '03 Camry 4-Cyl. The vehicle has 117k on it and 1-yr/30k on the Amsoil ATF. I think I might give Toyota T-IV a try next time and see how it does. It was flagged on Aluminum, Lead, and Calcium.

Data flagged for observation only; Aluminum is at a MODERATE LEVEL; Possible torque converter metal; ALUMINUM source in GEAR SYSTEMS may be BUSHING/THRUST metal, ALUMINA SILICA (Dirt), HOUSING metal or contamination from ALUMINUM COMPLEX GREASE; Lead is at a MINOR LEVEL; LEAD in AUTO/POWERSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS may be a leaching affect from the CLUTCH PACKS; Calcium is moderately high for this lubricant; Flagged data has been rechecked and confirmed;

IRON 29
CHROMIUM 0
NICKEL 0
ALUMINUM 16
COPPER 15
LEAD 33
TIN 0
CADMIUM 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
VANADIUM 0
SILICON 6
SODIUM 4
POTASSIUM 1
MOLYBDENUM 0
ANTIMONY 0
MANGANESE 0
LITHIUM 0
BORON 131
MAGNESIUM 1
CALCIUM 119
BARIUM 0
PHOSPHORUS 338
ZINC 18

WATER VIS 100C CS 5.9
TAN 0.29
OXIDA 30
NITRA 9

Try Mobil Synthetic Multi-vehicle ATF. Exxon Mobil makes T-IV for Toyota. Toyota T-IV is an ok ATF, you could do better.

Calcium is an additive. Not sure why it's flagged. Aluminum is fine - 16 ppm in a Al case transmission in 30,000 miles? Nothing. Pb is a bit odd, watch it, but no need to switch fluids.

Is this 100% Amsoil ATF?

Looks decent to me.....

I did 85K with Amsoil ATF on my Dads trans. I just opened up the Magnifine filter today. It looked pretty good. I could not see any real contamination in the filter media.

You might need to give Amsoil ATF another chance before pulling the plug and see how it performs next time. You need to establish a trend for your Camry. Whatever you do don't put Toyota ATF back.

Toyota ATF T-IV specs
Density @15º 0.86
Flash point Above 185C
cSt @ 40º C above 20
cSt @ 100º C 7.25

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF specs
cSt @ 40º C 36.3
cSt @ 100º C 7.4
Brookfield Viscosity, ASTM D 5293
-cP @ -40º C 10,040
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 176
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -41C
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 200
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.846

Nothing to worry about here.

Flush it with Amsoil again, install a magnefine, and sample in 50k.

Yes, this is 100% Amsoil via a flush. Does anyone have a UOA for virgin Amsoil ATF? I figured the Calcium was in the additive package like Pablo suggested.

The transmission capacity is 8.7 qts., and I used 13 total qts of Amsoil ATF for the machine. Is this enough to purge it? Is this roughly 100%?

Last edited:
Before your switch to Amsoil, you should have gotten a UOA of the previous fill, to have a baseline of what was the state of the transmission before it was flushed. Amsoil is a robust ATF, a bit pricey but a stout fluid.

When you buy a used vehicle, you don’t know how it was driven or if it was maintained with the right ATF. I have a Camry, I do a drain and refill every year or every 15,000 miles. The transmission shifts like the day it was bought.

Do you know if the shop that flushed your transmission used any conditioner or any other chemical to flush it with. They could have dislodged junk while flushing it. When I take my vehicles to a mechanic, I always insist to only perform a fluid exchange and not to add any fluids besides ATF.

It was straight Amsoil ATF, no cleaners or additives. With any used vehicle I buy, all fluids get changed to Amsoil (except antifreeze is fresh OEM), and I perform a full tune-up with OEM parts. It would have been nice to have a baseline, though.

Look at my UOA on Amsoil ATF in my 1994 Camry.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1253708

My lead is lower but my Al is MUCH higher. (Much higher mileage). I had 25K on the ATF and this ATF was installed via a flush machine and the flush machine was purged of new fluid before the Amsoil was added.

I installed a Magnefine and it did not bring down lead or Al.

I have 12K miles on new Amsoil ATF I installed myself via a cooler line flush and may do a UOA soon.

The car has 214K on it and the transmission shifts fine. But I would like the Al to be lower. On the other hand, not much I am going to do about it on a car with 214K miles. I did the Magnefine.

interestng.. i use amsoil univ atf in my tacoma auto.. with almost 130k miles she shifts wonderfully. all i did when i bought my truck at 52k miles was do two drain and fills with valvoline maxlife atf dex3 2 times within 20-30k miles and ever since every 15-20k miles its amsoil atf. so i assume i still have a mix of amsoil and maxlife in there.. again she shifts like its brand new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back