Camry vs Corolla

Buy the Camry and get the newest one you can afford. If buying used buy the lowest mile car you can find. If she is putting 40,000 miles per year on the vehicle it will depreciate quickly and you might be better off getting one three years old. It sounds like you are not buying it right away and more than likely something will change and you won't even want the same type of vehicle. With gasoline prices low I would opt for the V-6 instead of the 4 cylinder. Most people do not want a manual transmission any longer myself included. When that clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing finally goes it's not cheap to replace. I had a Corolla with 240,000 miles on it and ran perfect when I sold it and it didn't use any oil. I don't own a Toyota but have very high regards for them as well as Hondas. Reliability is everything for many people and Toyota checks that box well. Good luck with your decision.

We have a ’12 white Camry and now this.
9298BC51-A2C9-4C98-9213-7D74C18D499D.jpeg
ED7650AD-CE40-4C6F-AC07-8FC7B073A6B1.jpeg
D876FD3A-DACA-4634-BEAB-AD8D00A88805.jpeg

How are you liking that transmission with the launch gear?
I don’t think this one has a launch gear since it’s an LE. The black emblem overlays kind of make it appear as an SE. My brother has a ‘19 Corolla hatch and he prefers the regular Corolla sedan without it since he rents them all the time for work travel.

I don’t think this one has a launch gear since it’s an LE. The black emblem overlays kind of make it appear as an SE. My brother has a ‘19 Corolla hatch and he prefers the regular Corolla sedan without it since he rents them all the time for work travel.
Only the 2.0 engines have launch gear. The LEs have the carry over 1.8 and CVT from the last gen....and even still call for 0/20...whereas the 2.0 is 0/16

My father had a 15 Corolla Le wife had a 17 and I’m on a 2019 Corolla Se absolutely zero problems. Fuel em change the oil and drive em. Good mpg handles good comfortable nice interior and good sounding stereo. The se model is sharp looking also

She seems to be warming up to the Camry hybrid. I had to zip tie the air dam on her Camry over the weekend, not sure if it's related but she's been doing nearly as much car shopping as I do. I guess driving the same car for over 9 years will do that? I suspect that, if it wasn't for the pandemic, she would be off on a test drive, if nothing else to just scratch the itch.

Myself, as my Camry is feeling older each time I go and drive it (after it sits for longer and loner periods of time), I've been ogling the RAV4 hybrid... but that'd require a huge change for me, as I usually prefer my vehicles to have the complexity level of a Model T.

So the Corolla is out, doesn't come in a color she likes. Camry Hybrid or Prius Prime--the Prime has incentives making it cheaper, but feels, well, cheaper. But she likes the smaller size, and the plug in aspect is intriguing, as a good portion of her driving is 20 mile roundtrip.

Myself, as my Camry is feeling older each time I go and drive it (after it sits for longer and loner periods of time), I've been ogling the RAV4 hybrid... but that'd require a huge change for me, as I usually prefer my vehicles to have the complexity level of a Model T.
Seems like you would be a good candidate for a 4Runner.

I just built this Corolla SE, M/T with 16" wheels. Just steer clear of the XSE.

View attachment 54800
Ooh, that looks nice!

What's an "intelligent" manual transmission? I'm afraid to look--probably something that helps release the clutch or pick gears or otherwise get in the way of rowing through the gears. Edit: looks like it uses rev matching.

Last edited:
I would not hesitate if she likes the Camry hybrid. I know of 2 here and they have been flawless. One ushered the owner into a Tesla - he had no issues at all with his hybrid experience. My FIL just bought the highlander hyrid. He wasn’t considering the hybrid at all but liked how it drove. Toyota has a solid thing going on with their tech.

I used to not care as much about camrys, but around 2013 or so they stopped looking so much like an appliance and really sharpened their design. their I4s started to feel a bit torquier and more engaged as well. I help maintain a single friend-of-wife’s Camry (14?) and find it well put-together. Good seats, solid chassis.

I think she's settled on the Camry. Zero idea on this negotiating thing but we'll see how it goes. Prius is cheaper but... buy what you like, right?

So she has spent the day reading the owner’s manual. Apparently it is up to 650V in the car. So... maybe i don’t want to blindly back probe anything, eh? 600 plus pages. “It’s like driving an iPhone“ she says.

I read up a bit on how to service the rear brakes, doesn’t look too bad. Will deal with fluids later, should have a couple years before I have to worry about that.

not looking forward to the trade but we’ll see how it goes.

Just rented a Corolla. Drove well, 30MPG mixed driving, lots and lots of road noise.
Just rented one as well. Agree on the road noise.

Not sure how one defines "drove well" but to me this car sucks all the joy out of driving. It kind of just rolls and that's about it. Steering is vague, engine has no power, interior is blah. I think I'd shoot myself if I had to commute in one of these on a daily basis.

Back