Camry vs Corolla

Camry would be my choice but not the Hybrid. I have a Prius and had to replace the HV battery when it gave me the death code a month after the 8 yr warranty expired. It only lasted 78K miles with a replacement cost of $2300. Toyota was kind enough to toss in $750 for the repair and the dealer took about $400 off the battery. Without Toyota and the Dealer tossing money and discounts it would have been over $3500 with sales tax for a new battery installed.

Stay away from the 1.5 Turbo Honda engines unless they fixed the gasoline / oil dilution problem. If you go with a Honda get the 2.0 liter non Turbo engine.

The Camry would be a far better car over the Corolla, if you're doing a lot of highway miles.

As of last year, Toyota now warranties all Synergy Drive components for 10 years/150k miles...including the traction battery

What kind of MPGs are you getting with the 2020 Camry? Did the dealer discount it much?

We are currently getting 35 MPG around here. It took me a few months of negotiating between a few dealers. Walked out of two dealers. I ended up buying from the dealer that I have been doing business with for 35 years. Almost walked there too. Love the car!

MSRP was $30600. I got it for around $23600 before tax and tag. It was brutal doing that. It also came with the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty.

Last edited:
Wife has been doing some window shopping. Her car just passed 9 years and isn't new anymore. No plans to get rid of, but, as we all know: you can be the world's best driver, and that won't stop someone else from destroying your car. Or from having a repair that just isn't economically feasible.

So she's been looking at Camry as that has served her well. She found out that the LE Hybrid comes with the preferred 16" wheels; all other models come with larger & more expensive tires. [I looked it up and the 17's actually weren't that bad, but are still $20 more per tire for the RT43's that we run.] Looking at a Corolla apparently the manual transmission model has 18" wheels which is a no-go. She wants a manual transmission, but if she can't have one, then she might as well go with whatever will have the cheapest 10 year cost. Tires only last 40k for us, which can be a set per year, so... you go argue with her about it.

My thinking is, a Corolla may cost more on insurance and be worse on the highway. But I'm not sure if that is true or not? That was true in the past, but the future keeps changing on us. Quick look shows it's almost the same size as my Camry, maybe even larger now.

Again, we're not buying, and during this time we're not about to go out and test drive for the heck of it. Just straight discussion. Not sure if I can sway her towards much else, we're kinda soured on Honda, iffy on Kia/Hyundai, unsure on German (I'd be allowed to have one but she saw the amount of work my last VW required). It's kinda these two or none at all in her mind.

FWIW I've been pushing for a 90's Miata for her but haven't gotten anywhere on that one... she's fixated on having four doors. I keep pointing out that if we go used & old, we'd have plenty of money to fix it up--and there's the flaw, she is not interested in that.
Don't think you're going to be able to argue with her about the number of doors or age but if she wants a manual she should absolutely get it because it will probably be the last one she ever gets. They are getting harder and harder to find these days.

Have a 2018 Hybrid Camry SE... One thing to keep in mind, it actually has more pep 'off the line' than the non-hybrid variants, the V6 included. The electric motors instantaneous torque just feels better than the non, which is very laggy in comparison. But it does have the slight sensation of the 'transition', but it is smooth.

My dad has the "LE" variant and routinely gets 50-52 MPG in all cases. For me, due to the larger wheels and such of the SE, get about 40.

Been trouble free for two years now. It's been really nice.

Last edited:
When I was looking at some cars, both the Toyota dealer and Subaru dealer had manual cars in stock. The Impreza, Crosstrek, and Corolla. It's intriguing but I saw the lower mpg. That Impreza is another contender but the dealer here at least doesn't discount much. The Toyota dealer gets more cars more easily I guess.

We wish the base IMPREZA had more ground clearance . Only 5.1 inches . The ACCENT has more at 5.51" .

Basing your buying decision on the cost of replacement tires seems a bit obsessive, but who am I to judge. I'd suggest Mitsubishi Mirage. Available with 14 inch tires so replacements are under $40.
Tires are but one consideration. A large one since they impact ride quality, but are definitely less of a cost than depreciation.

I like the Mirage but it's a bad choice where we live. Just too small with lousy NVH, and even I think it's too slow.

Don't think you're going to be able to argue with her about the number of doors or age but if she wants a manual she should absolutely get it because it will probably be the last one she ever gets. They are getting harder and harder to find these days.
No kidding. She keeps commenting on it. I keep pointing out that we'd have more options if we went used.

We wish the base IMPREZA had more ground clearance . Only 5.1 inches . The ACCENT has more at 5.51" .
Ground clearance is nice to have. The air dam on the Camry has taken a beating over the years, and some of the dirt roads around here can do some damage if one isn't careful. And then snow of course.

Out of those two I'd choose a Camry. A smaller car has it's legitimacies but 40K miles a year you'll want comfort and a bit more size and the Camry beats the Corolla in that. I average about the same in my focus and although it's great for just me on roadtrips, two full sized adults with luggage for a week really starts to cut into available 'living' room. Plus the short wheelbase is a pain for windy driving.

Back