Camry Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Not the Autorx Frank

That is my impasse I guess. My sensibility says one thing and my time and energy, another :)

Toyota's have been good to me and I always keep them for a long time (minimum 8 years ish), so spread out over a long period of time it evens out a bit is my rationale.

But the problem is *IF* some idiot rearends you and totaled the new car (my neighbor just had this happen last week in her 2009 Camry) and you still have payments but no car.

Forget the keeping it 8 years. Its gone now.

I don't know, I love the new car feeling (looking right now at selling the 07 Outback and buying a 2010 Forester) but unless I can find exactly what I want (this vehicle will be kept for a LONG LONG time) I will keep the perfectly sound Outback.

And of course we will be paying cash so the payment issue is not a problem. And full insurance is required in either case and is "fair" (and the same price) so that factor is the same.

But really, if I was in your situation I'd get something that you can afford and save the $$ until you can get something paid for that you want.

Nothing beats a paid for car. Again I wish I figured it out a long time ago..

Take care, Bill

Bill, I totally agree. Most of my cars I have been able to pay down in 18 mo. and then enjoy no payments for years. The economy isn't allowing me to do that now so maybe I am caving to the way everyone else does it until things improve. I really should search high and low for a used but I am not finding much to get excited about. Seems like the clean ones are at dealers and no where near resonable...

I think it's safe to say everyone wants new. But new can work for some people, often times doesn't work for some people, and then you have people who become so obsessed with it, they are practically poor.

Leasing is an example. My fiance's mother leased a Cherokee after bringing back the 05 Cherokee from lease and got an 08. She had no money to put down, so she of course stayed at the dealer and leased the 08. Her monthly payment is like $565 p/month.

This is stupid! They are stuck in buying / paying for something more than they can actually afford(car poor). She refused to down size to a car etc because the Jeep Grand Cherokee rides nicer etc.

I'm not advising you to do one or the other, i'm giving you opinion. Your 2000 camry was paid for, understand that 300-500 a month is going to be missing from your combined income(not sure if its a dent in your income).

You can find deals at dealerships. Look online at their inventory, some have "special" pricing. You have more sway with talking down the price of a used car than you would a new one.

Last edited:

Down Payment $5,000.00
Trade in OR Adjustment (+/-) $0.00
Amount Borrowed $12,400.00
Number of Months in Loan 60
Interest Rate (APR) 7.00%
Interest $2,332.09
Monthly Payment will be: $245.53
Total Cost of The Loan $14,732.09
Total Cost of The Car $19,732.09

and in the end of 5 years you'll have a vehicle worth how much???

You've got $24k invested (and nothing happened) in a 16k car. OR really you have $19,732 payed on a $11k (since you loose every penny on taxes (ALMOST 9%!!!!!) so $8k is gone after the payment gig.

And on the new car you have FORTY THOUSAND in it and at the end of 5 years it will be worth how much if perfect? So in 5 years you would have spent $8000 each and every year...

Man, go slowly on either.

Take care, Bill

PS: DO they get the 9% on used cars too? The ones that the original owner paid 9% on? (I hate sales taxes...) They do the same here but its a lot lower. (still double/triple taxation)
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Down Payment $5,000.00
Trade in OR Adjustment (+/-) $0.00
Amount Borrowed $12,400.00
Number of Months in Loan 60
Interest Rate (APR) 7.00%
Interest $2,332.09
Monthly Payment will be: $245.53
Total Cost of The Loan $14,732.09
Total Cost of The Car $19,732.09

and in the end of 5 years you'll have a vehicle worth how much???

You've got $24k invested (and nothing happened) in a 16k car. OR really you have $19,732 payed on a $11k (since you loose every penny on taxes (ALMOST 9%!!!!!) so $8k is gone after the payment gig.

And on the new car you have FORTY THOUSAND in it and at the end of 5 years it will be worth how much if perfect? So in 5 years you would have spent $8000 each and every year...

Man, go slowly on either.

Take care, Bill

PS: DO they get the 9% on used cars too? The ones that the original owner paid 9% on? (I hate sales taxes...) They do the same here but its a lot lower. (still double/triple taxation)
mad.gif

Yes, can you believe it! You get screwed either way! See why its tempting to just say fudge cycles!

Yes, can you believe it! You get screwed either way! See why its tempting to just say fudge cycles!

On the flip side, if you buy a car that you like, and you thoroughly enjoy driving it, that kind of takes the sting out of having "lost" all that money.
wink.gif

Thats how I found my Xterra, auto trader.

Went down to the dealership and took it for a ride was nice. I originally was trying to get an Equinox but GM wouldn't give me the loan(760 credit score) because the roll over from the tC. Bank didn't want to give me the loan unless I took a 10% interest loan. I walked out.

ok so after all that... something better happened.. I convinced the adjuster to fix the car!!!! Happy day and I get to use the stack of Avalon oil filters I have! Now I can run this car out another 50k ish...

ok so after all that... something better happened.. I convinced the adjuster to fix the car!!!! Happy day and I get to use the stack of Avalon oil filters I have! Now I can run this car out another 50k ish...

thumbsup2.gif

Way to go!

This is just my opinion, but if your going to get a hybrid, why not get a Ford Fusion hybrid? Much better overall car than the camry, much less ugly and bland looking, and it's going to be just as reliable, while getting as good gas mileage. It seems to recieve higher reviews than the camry as well.

http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pre...ry-hybrid-.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_s...036eed3d13d.pdf

Overall C&D scores

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comp...omparison_tests

Last edited by a moderator:
A coworker has the Camry Hybrid and while I'll admit its a pretty nice car, it seems like whenever I'm in it the dash readout is always in the low 30's, seen it in high 20's, as well. For all the extra cost, IMO, not that great.

If the Ford can live up to its 41 mpg claims, it *might* be worth the cost over the base Fusion. IMO, the Fusion is a really nice sedan either way.

I guess I am partial to Toyotas at a little higher cost because I have had so many and they always lasted forever with minimal maintenance. I have owned a few GM, Fords, Hondas and have had less of a good experience. Not so much the cars themselves but the cost of ownership and the length of time before they started to "feel" old. The 2000 Avalon we have still feels new and rides perfect without any major issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back