CALLS FOR 5W20 BUT USING ____________ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have an 2004 ford exp 5.4 2v that calls for 5w20 oil, the problem i live in florida and tow a 5000 lb boat. I have tried many different combos of oil and filters, I have noticed with valvoline 5w30 conv oil this engine sounds the best. I have one of those engines that have piston slap, which of course the dealer says it's normal. Just wondering how many people are using something else than the recommened oil weight. Thanks for all your replies, great site.

No consumption but don't like the way the 5w20 sounds . I have 62000 miles and it has made noise since about 5000 miles, thanks.

Interesting this thread has come up. Most new Fords call for a 5W20 it seems. My wife's 3.0L Ranger does. When I start doing oil changes on it, I plan on using at least a 5W30. Probably Mobil 1 or Valvline MaxLife.

Quote:

No consumption but don't like the way the 5w20 sounds . I have 62000 miles and it has made noise since about 5000 miles, thanks.

I have the same vehicle using 0w20 with no problems, towing and spirited driving
driving.gif

will post up UOA soon with 18,000 miles on the oil

I ran 5w-30 M1 in my Civic which calls for 5w-20 and didn't notice much difference other than slightly lower gas mileage. It didn't quiet it down at all and it still burned off a small amount (~1/4 qt in 3500mi). I switched back to 5w-20.

Jon

I have a 2006 Hemi that calls for 5w20 and I live in Florida too, I have tried 10w30, 5w30 and 5w20. I dont like the 5w20 either and seen no noticable fuel milelage improvement with the lighter oil. Iam going to use 10w30 from now on, I like it, it sounds better and I think its a better choice for my climate. My wifes car a 2002 Lincoln with the 4.6 seems to prefer the lighter oil so I use 5w20 in it, but I mix 5w30 and 5w20 in the summer months.

5W20 Supertech/Wallymart or Crrrapy Tire's Motomaster full syn on my fit.

No problems whatsoever. My next oil change shall go to Syntec (bought some during a sale at wallymart)

most 5w30s even full GrpIIIs break down in viscosity after a couple thousand miles to a 20 weight oil especially in severe use towing conditions

try a proven 10w30 such as Havoline or Chevron Supreme..
no need for a 5w in Florida

if you want extended OCIs, go with a real synthetic such as Amsoil or Redline

or go with a 15w40 HDEO during your summer boating towing season...will lose a mile or so per gallon but have far more bearing protection from oil breakdown...

have a UOA done of your present oil...may surprise you

I tried using PP 5W-30 for one oil change during the middle of the TX summer. It was definitely quieter than M1 5W-20 in my v6 Accord. I just changed out to PP 5W-20 today. Aside from being slightly quieter, 5W-20 seems to produce better throttle response (perhaps better power overall but I can't be sure as I rarely use all the hp available) and slightly lower mileage resulting in less than one half of one percent drop in mileage.

My ranger calls for 5/20 but I am using up my stash of ultra cheap 10/30 right now. I notice no differnce in noise or fuel ecomony between 20 and 30 weights.

You prob. won't until winter. I live in MN. U.S. The lower Vis. oils work better in winter !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back