California oil spill: Wetlands may face ‘ecological disaster’ from pipeline failure (at least 126,000 gallons)

Well, spills are traditionally reported as bbls, but at least it wasn’t reported as tea spoons. 126,000 gallons is 3,000 bbls. The deep water Horizon spill was estimated as nearly 5 million bbls. The Valdez spill was 250,000 bbls, yet both got called ecological disasters. Let’s keep that in perspective. Yes, a cleanup is required.

Last edited:
Well, spills are traditionally reported as bbls, but at least it wasn’t reported as tea spoons. 126,000 gallons is 3,000 bbls. The deep water Horizon spill was estimated as nearly 5 million bbls. The Valdez spill was 250,000 bbls, yet both got called ecological disasters. Let’s keep that in perspective. Yes, a cleanup is required.

Kuwait:

Up to 50 million bbls spilled + much of the oil burned swapping spills for extreme air pollution … over 600 wells destroyed … dozens of other surface assets destroyed - hundreds put life at risk to kill blowouts and spills … many with health issues … millions spent to plug (seal) the wells … millions spent to drill new wells … millions lost due to permanent damage to the oil reservoir … And of course much of the above that fell upon the military …

The main difference … ? Not an accident … but all you will ever hear about is Exxon …

This is a depressing event, but thank you for the perspective. I was wondering about the context. Reporting seems to be propaganda in "gallons."

The US uses over 18 MILLION barrels of oil PER DAY. 3000 barrels is sad, but about the amount we consume in 1 second in the US. The cleanup for this should be relatively easy. As an animal lover and ecologist, this is tragic but not a catastrophe.

This is a depressing event, but thank you for the perspective. I was wondering about the context. Reporting seems to be propaganda in "gallons."

The US uses over 18 MILLION barrels of oil PER DAY. 3000 barrels is sad, but about the amount we consume in 1 second in the US. The cleanup for this should be relatively easy. As an animal lover and ecologist, this is tragic but not a catastrophe.

Think of all the oil spilled per day from old clunkers.

Read they deployed 3700 feet of boom to protect a marsh area - normally the hardest hit.

I want to post this AP news clip. In an effort to pump up the numbers the news service used liters ( over 572,000 ) instead of gallons. The only problem is, they used the Imperial gallon conversion, not the US gallon version. Morons.

8D4A0AA8-4A01-4120-8BC6-097642A1FC6B.jpg

Kuwait:

Up to 50 million bbls spilled + much of the oil burned swapping spills for extreme air pollution … over 600 wells destroyed … dozens of other surface assets destroyed - hundreds put life at risk to kill blowouts and spills … many with health issues … millions spent to plug (seal) the wells … millions spent to drill new wells … millions lost due to permanent damage to the oil reservoir … And of course much of the above that fell upon the military …

The main difference … ? Not an accident … but all you will ever hear about is Exxon …
I was there.

Amplify Energy is a junior oil company involved with buying legacy ( old ) oil fields and trying to produce them for a profit. I believe it was Chevron and Shell that developed the Beta field, and Chevron who build the processing platform, Elly. Looks like Amplify bought the assets nine years ago. Here is their trading history. Hope you don’t own them.

F65ABE74-538D-4B38-91F2-07DA2276DD22.png

Last edited:
Yep … all uphill to overcome this …
They were goners before this. This day any negative publicity it gonna kill stock quick.

Midstream and production operations are all going to MLPs and the like. Oil companies have put barriers between them and any potential company killing events. It will be swallowed up by someone else ones the dust settles.

There isn’t going to be another Exon, BP, Shell or Enron. It will just be a disaster on Joe Blows pipeline company that will quietly change hands.

Kuwait:

One of the many many reasons I relish watching that rat crawl out of a hole in the ground and later be hung by the neck until dead. Evil *. That he purposefully created that ecological disaster and complete waste of resources still angers me.

Back